ICF Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.6

Senior Associate, Monitoring and Evaluation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process lasted approximately 2 weeks. It was very efficient and the HR representatives were responsive throughout the process.

I applied for the position online and had a first round interview with the HR representative two days later. Early the following week, I had an in-person interview with my supervisors, phone call interviews with two potential supervisors, and an in-person interview with our USG client.

After the interview with the client, I received an informal offer e-mail welcoming me to the team. Afterwards, the HR representative and I had a couple phone calls over the next few days, negotiating terms of employment, including start date and salary.

I accepted the offer and started 3 weeks later!

Interview Questions

• One of the first questions the HR representative asked me was how much money I made at my current job. I was hesitant to answer because I was underpaid and working at a nonprofit prior to joining ICF. I asked her for a range for the position, which she gave me, but the offer ended up being under the salary range that she had originally posited because they partially based it off of how much I made in my previous role. While I didn't reveal the exact number, I gave the HR rep a range because she was very insistent, asking a few different times and insisting she needed a number in order to move forward with the process. I'm concerned I was low-balled, but it's an incredible opportunity where I know I will grow professionally.

When I interviewed with my current supervisors, they asked me typical interview questions that ranged from my past experience, to how I work with others, to technical questions about monitoring and evaluation and maternal and child health, which are the main functional areas of my position.

Everyone was very kind throughout the entire process. I just wish I had been in a better position to negotiate my salary.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Strictly Behavioral. I was asked about experiences related to my resume. Additionally, I was asked about classes I was taking this semester and how I felt about them. I was also asked about what I thought the Business Analyst position was going to be like, based on research I was expected to do going in to the interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time where you have worked on a team and how you handled the work.   Answer Question

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website. They contacted me about 10 days later for a phone interview with one of their staff. The staff person was nice but HR was disorganized, to say the least. For the phone interview, I had at one point 3 different people sending me emails trying to schedule me. I was then invited in for an in-person interview. Again, the 2 staff I met with were really nice, and I thought we got along well. The HR scheduling process for that interview was also disorganized. I was pre-scheduled for an interview during morning business hours (I am still employed elsewhere). When I wrote back to HR to propose some alternative times in the coming weeks, they were inflexible and scheduled me for that same morning time slot, 2 weeks later. They also told me that someone in HR would meet me before my interview and show me to where I would be interviewed. No one from HR showed up, and I was greeted directly by the staff member. I followed up at least twice via email with my HR contacts regarding the status of my application, but no one paid me the courtesy of actually responding. I work at a competitor of ICF's and was, up until this experience, quite interested in working at this company.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years, Discuss your experience with various technical platforms, Discuss your project management experience.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back a few days later. The internal recruiter asked a few screening questions (ie: very general background questions, what I was looking for in a job, and my SALARY REQUIREMENT). I was first asked to participate in 3 interviews (one over the phone, and the following day would be two in person at the office). After completing the series of interviews, I was told I would hear back within the next two weeks. But the following Monday I received a call from the internal recruiter asking me to participate in 2 more over the phone interviews. Of those two interviews, the first was a conference call with two managers, and the following interview was just with one other person. All five interviews were conducted by women who were very friendly and intelligent. The questions were very generic- ranging from "tell me about yourself", to "where do you see yourself in five years", etc. I receive an offer about a week later. After that, they began an extensive background check that included personal records, employment history, etc. The company who is hired to do this called my personal references, and faxed forms to my past employers to verify and comment on. I did not need to do a drug test because of the clients I would be working with, but it is my understanding that sometimes employment is contingent on a drug test.

Environmental Scientist/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

A week after applying online, I was briefly screened by Recruiter on the phone about my background/resume. Then had phone interviews with two people on the team, which lasted ~30 minutes each. I was then asked to come in for an in-person interview (Fairfax, VA). I was emailed instructions and a schedule of who I would be meeting with (5 people, 30 minutes each, for a total of 2.5 hours). It was a mix of mid- and high-level staff, and a few worked remotely so I spoke to them on the phone. Some were more casual and just spoke about the position, others asked me more technical or behavioral questions. Recruiter said they would "let me know either way" and I got a call a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a presentation you gave. (Has anything ever gone wrong during a presentation?)   Answer Question

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

The interview was 5 hours. Includes a half hour presentation with 30 minutes of discussion, and lunch with a team member. I interviewed individually with 3 senior level managers, as well as with 3 junior team members at once. It's a long day, but typical for PhD level researchers. ICF will pay for travel and accommodations for the interview. I did not relocate, but I do know that they also have a relocation program should you choose to move for this job. I was hired almost immediately after interviewing.

The interview was a few weeks after I submitted my application, but only because I was traveling and couldn't interview immediately. Prior to the interview, I had a phone screening with a person from HR.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They are not known for negotiating salaries, nor are they known for paying well. I was offered a salary $13,000 below the market rate, and was only able to negotiate an additional $3,000. I took the job because no other companies were hiring at the time, but left a year later.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online. I had a 30 minute phone interview and then I was invited to their office for an in-person interview. I met with 3 people separately for 45 minutes each after which I was taken out for lunch by 2 associates. Everyone was really nice and welcoming. They made sure that I would be a great fit for this position as well as this position would be a great fit for me. This shows that ICF really values their employees and what they hope to do in the future. I received a call from the recruiter on the next business day offering me the job. The interview process was really quick and I gladly accepted their offer.

Interview Questions

• What programming experience do you have?
      Describe your past internship experiences.
      Do you like working with data?
      How does this job relate to your career goals?

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

I was recruited at a professional conference by a leader in the group I was eventually hired into. I was asked to come in person for half a day for four individual interviews with group leaders including Sr. VP. The overall process from meeting the person who recruited me, to coming in for interviews, to being offered the job was extended for various reasons including the christmas holidays and also personal travel and other factors. Overall, it lasted Dec - through February.

Interview Questions

• Describe an example of a difficult or challenging workplace situation that you were faced with and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered a salary by the HR recruiter assigned to me. I counter offered much higher but ended up accepting a salary that was only about $4K more than the original offer. First time out of school negotiating, so was a bit unsure about going rates.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

I was contacted by email about a week after applying to set up a phone interview. I then was invited for an in-person interview in Fairfax. Everyone at the interview session was very friendly.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

After an initial phone screening with the hiring manager I was invited for an onsite interview. I met with 5 members of the team for 30 minutes each. This was followed by a 45 minute writing assessment. This is an intimidating process on its surface, but the interviews were not very difficult or challenging. I ultimately did not get the position, but this was probably for the best, as I don't think I was a good fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• Why ICF?
      Why are you leaving your current position?
      How do you approach a research project?