IDEO Design Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 15, 2017

3.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IDEO (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Remote interview where everyone called into an online platform. HR initially contacted me to schedule the interview. Then, connected with point person within the team. The individual who interviewed me was not professional in addition to being cold. It was an odd experience and seemed to have an air of entitlement. It was off-putting and left a sour taste in my mouth. IDEO is known in the design field as being revolutionary; however, its various hiring practices are frayed and not human-centered. If arrogance was not part of the formula, I would have left holding IDEO to high regard. But, no longer. (This was my fourth interview with them. Two others I willingly bowed out due to poor experience)

Interview Questions

• Talk about your background, your experiences, how you approached hurdles, what your perception of design is   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IDEO

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IDEO in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and recruiter emailed me. Then a recruiter followed up with an email for phone interview.

(Phone Interview - In person Interview process)
    It took 3weeks.
    It was very friendly. But after a few week, I got a rejection email from a recruiter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

The people of IDEO are generally very kind. They ask interesting questions and are very selective. So much so that if you leave a bad impression with one of the interviewer, that will kill it (which was my case). Be prepared. Know IDEO's culture. Read the books. Make "thinking out of the box" second mature.

Interview Questions

• How do you price a product when it is an entirely new invention?   1 Answer
    • What is the most motivating speech you have heard and why?   1 Answer

Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IDEO (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview process on telephone will be the first indicator if your character fits. There might be a lot of calls and the people interviewing you are very likely to be the people you will working with, so see it both ways.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IDEO (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in December 2010.

Interview

Nette Umgebung. Ich hatte viele Einzelgespräche mit verschiedenen Leuten. Manche waren interessant, viele schienen, als wären sie irgendwie bedroht. Ich wurde von Freunden empfohlen, daher bewarb ich mich über die Webseite. Am Ende fragten sie, ob ich sofort für ein Projekt als freie Mitarbeiter verfügbar sei.

Interview Questions

• Es gab nicht wirklich, die hart waren. Ich hatte das Gefühl, das sie auf ein Gespräch mit mir nicht vorbereitet waren. Daher sprachen wir viel über Philosophie, Geschichte und verschiedene Erfahrungen. Am Ende hatten wir über viel geredet.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ich habe zunächst freiberuflich gearbeitet. Es lief ganz gut. Sie boten mir eine Vollzeitstelle, weil ich freiberuflich viel mehr machte. Ich nahm es an, weil es eine gute Firma war.