IFC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IFC Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.1

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

A 3-hour written test and f2f with IOs and managers. Some accounting questions and mostly fit questions. Takes 1.5 months. Nice culture and clear explanation of role. Can arrange phone calls as needed.

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IFC (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for the post in January and received an email in June for an interview. It was done via webex and lasted for about 45 minutes. It was conducted by three persons. The questions were all technical questions relating to the position, more like an examination than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What are you more comfortable working with, .Net programming or databases?   Answer Question
    • What the types of database joins?   Answer Question
    • If you create a software and while executing you discover that is has errors, what is the first thing you do?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IFC in March 2017.

Interview

I applied in Feb, had 9 interviews over a 2 month period and got offer in May. All interviews were via video conferencing, webex or phone. the panel was always 1-3 people. It helps to know what IFC/WB does, their mission, vision, goals as well as particular examples on projects they have handled for example in your country (their success stories)..score the IFC and World bank websites for pointers.

Interview Questions

• the questions: You want to have exposure to Germany but don’t want to go out right and buy a German bond. How do you do that? and this is on a USD portfolio. Then how would you do the same thing if you were not able to use derivatives.
      What do you look for in time series data
      If you had to regress quarterly GDP data against daily price data, how would you do that
      Do you think interest rates are mean reverting
      When have you ever failed
      Why IFC and why this particular job? I seemed to be answering why am the best person for the job (skills, experience, qualifications).. so I had to re-answer it.
      Proficiency in VBA and matlab?
      What r the properties of time series data
      What would you look out for when doing asset allocation
      What would you use to forecast returns? Apart from using historical data
      What is mean reversion, what is stationary data   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your cv In relation to what we are looking for in this role.
      What type of statistics did you do? what did you cover in B.stat
      What computer programs did you study in B.stat..
      He went on to ask for details about some tasks..like the whole process from start to finish of doing a strategic asset allocation
      When have you had a conflict with your supervisors /bosses and how did you handle it.
      When have you had a conflict with your workmates/peers and how did you handle it.
      What other organizations have you applied to and are they just multilaterals? How come you’ve not considered joining the private sector like an investment bank
      Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs.
      What do you like to do outside work
      Do you prefer to work in a team or by yourself
      Do you prefer to innovate or work with what is already existing.
      Would you prefer to sit in office (analysis) or a field job?
      What did you not like about your previous job
      Cross currency swap, one party pays ZAR other receives USD. 1 yr down the road, who would be in a negative position?
      IFC issues a USD bond but is going to disburse it in Bangladesh taka, what is the typical analysis you would do/ what is the thought process. what would be your key concerns   Answer Question
    • What is duration? What is convexity? You want to buy a bond, What would you look out for? what is the shape of this curve? when would it be negatively shaped?
      What economic indicators do you typically look at when making an investment recommendation.
      When analysing a new investment proposal, what do you look out for?
      What, if anything, excites you about your job. what do you in your current role. Explain your current investment portfolio, size, tranching , instruments, currencies, benchmarks
      What is the duration of a 2 yr US treasury? Where is the 10 yr US treasury now?   Answer Question
    • One interviewer Spent a great part talking about the department and what it does, how it's organized, the role of each person in the team. Do you know masala bonds? what they are. Went on to explain how IFC was the first issuer in that market, and it has become a big market, many other issuers have joined
      After knowing what we do, what are the key things you think are important to take note of in our work? Because IFC does business in different countries, it has to look into the different regulatory requirements in each country.
      The return on an emerging market bond can be attributed to what factors. (return attribution)
      What would cause the price of a bond to change
      What affects callable bonds.
      In a volatile market, are callable bonds more or less valuable?
      After talking to the whole team, (8 interviews so far), what do you think of them, can you see yourself working with them? Whats your opinion on the role? Are you enthusiastic about it? And why?
      she basically did most of the talking. Even talked about herself, how long she had been with IFC..etc   Answer Question

MBA Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IFC (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with a Senior Investment Officer, the lady was very polite the interview was generally not a structured one, just random questions from my resume and a basic one "Why IFC?". The interview lasted around 25 minutes. Note: I am currently waiting for a reply from them, so I will update this post once I get or don't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• How did you value a certain investment from my resume
      Why IFC
      What were the key take aways from the investment   Answer Question

YP Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IFC (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

Structured process. Took 3 months between the moment I was contacted for the first interview and the offer (6 months since I submitted my resume online). I was contacted in November for a skype interview. A few days later I was informed that I was invited to interview in Washington for a full day second round of interviews. The second round comprised a panel interview, a written test and 2 individual interviews. Each interview is a mix of behavioral, fit and technical questions (basic accounting, nothing tricky). The written test (3h) wasn't hard in my opinion. There are 2 parts, a written essay based on an article asking to perform a quick investment analysis, and a series of multiple choice questions (basic accounting).

Interview Questions

• Tell us about that transaction you mentioned in your resume. Tell us about some of the activities you were doing when sourcing new deals. Why the IFC? Why this program?   1 Answer

Financial Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IFC (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online and received notification of being shortlisted 2 months later
    HR organized 3 phone interviews back to back with 3 members of the group, each interview lasted about 30min.
    Interviews were technical and covered various topics from risk management to structured finance, including regulation. Was suppose to hear from them a week later, but have not got feedback after +1month.

Interview Questions

• 1. how do you calculate VaR?
      3. Impact of interest rate increase/decrease on a the price of a floating rate note? Fixed rate note?
      2. What is regulatory capital and how do you calculate it?
      3. What is tranching?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IFC (Washington, DC).

Interview

Fairly swift interview process. One video interview with three senior team members followed by video interview with manager the week after. The interviews were rather casual and lasted approx. 45 min.

Whey asked a series of questions giving details on my profile and motivation. No technical questions and not particularly structured.

Subsequently, I sent a few writing samples of previous work.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job? What was your role and task in previous projects?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Benefits were fixed, but salary negotiable

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IFC (Washington, DC).

Interview

Met with a couple of the team members. They asked me about my experience as it relates to the job. They needed someone right away. The process was pretty quick. I started working about 3 weeks after I was interviewed.

Associate Investment Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IFC (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

Very long process that was disorganized. I had the chance to be invited for a Friday to Washington DC, spend a Thursday night preparing, and then have most interviewers away for a long week-end. The institution is extremely consensus driven, meaning that if one interviewer really likes you, he may move the needle a bit by making it difficult for the many who think you are average. Similarly, if one of the interviewers thinks you are bad, it will be easy to scare everyone else.

Summer Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IFC.

Interview

I applied through the university career services and received a phone interview about a few days later. The interviewer was my boss over the summer, he asked about my background, my coursework, and why I wanted to work here. We had a nice chat and then he offered me the internship position.