IKEA Interior Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IKEA Interior Designer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.1

Interior Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IKEA in April 2017.

Interview

The process was really lengthy, taking 2 months from when I applied to finding out. After the application I assumed I'd just been unsuccessful it was so long before I heard anything. However I was invited to a group interview, which was friendly and informal. We were split into groups and then had to assess one of the room settings. After the group stage we were all asked to submit 2 practical tasks - 1 VM task and 1 interior design. The tasks were really interesting, but it did feel a little strange that they would ask everyone to do them instead of whittling down the applicants beforehand. I was then asked to a final interview which was with the department manager and their manager. It was chatty and friendly, they took the time to really look at my portfolio which was great.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IKEA

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IKEA (Houston, TX).

Interview

They sent me an email with 3 possible fictitious people to design a room for. Each was a different type of space in a home. They gave me something like a week or two to put together a presentation of a floor plan and "mood board" (something that gives the sense of what the feel of the space was supposed to feel like) before the interview. It was a lengthy process but not bad.

Interview Questions

• I had hand rendered the floor plan (with no access to photoshop and using a student edition of AutoCAD LT back in the day) and I was asked why I rendered the whole thing when only a hint of color (1/3 of what I did) could save time and portray the same vibe.   1 Answer

Interior Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IKEA.

Interview

Very difficult to get in touch with the hiring recruiter assigned to me. Hardly had an interview, recruiter asked me if I was okay with a very low starting rate, when I wasn't that was the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to start at low rate? Relocation will not be provided.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Centennial, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

I did the long online application process and got a call from a recruiter about 1 week later. I did the phone interview right then and there. At the end of the call he had me schedule an in-person interview for about 2 weeks later. I arrived at the interview, sat at a small table with 2 women, the head of interior design and the head of visual merchandising in the Centennial, CO IKEA. I was asked about the "assignment", and as it turns out, I never received an email that was supposed to come before my interview which included a prompt for a project to present to the interviewers. They did not seem dissuaded by this, however. I was given the small project and told to email it within two weeks. They proceeded with the interview and I left feeling very confident. I didn't end up getting the job, though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IKEA (Tempe, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

August 2014- Received phone call about one week after i submitted online application. This was a pre-screening interview. I passed the phone screening interview and was told that a hiring manager would be in touch via email to set up first interview.

End August 2014. One week later email arrives and i am to choose an interview time slot. Long story short, i was playing email tag with the HR guy since every time i chose a slot it was taken. Seriously?? Why not just assign a time and date, what an inconvenience this was. So I chose a time slot exactly an entire month away.

Late September 2014- Finally interview day! I arrived 20 min early, the Receptionist had me fill out a ton of paper work including all the application info already done on line. Inconvenience again not to mention that it interfered with the interview process. The two interviewers stepped into the interview room i was in still filling out paperwork and they were early walking in there. The greeting was so cold and informal. I didn't get a chance to say much when they came in, as they told me , " oh we will let you finish that paperwork before we get started. " They saw that I brought my portfolio with me as it sat on table. They just grabbed it and sifted through it not giving me the time to share it and walk through it. I brought my examples of presentation boards which they took no interest in either, i wasn't given an opportunity to even present them. The HR guy bluntly stated that interior design wasn't his thing. How unprofessional to state a remark like that. Their interviewing skills were terrible and with no confidence. No interior design questions were asked. Just your basic standard interview reading from a paper. So informal i was disgusted. I was then given a tour of the facility and back offices including design center. Aside from such a terrible unorganized interview, i was still very interested in this position. Upon wrapping things up i was told that I would receive a call by the following Friday which was a week and a half away.

Two weeks later into October 2014-- I receive a phone call from one of the interviewers apologizing for not contacting within the time promised. " He stated that the extended another week of interviews that had to be done. He said to me that he would have an answer for me by early next week. Ok......

Two and half weeks later Ending October here----- still no correspondence. ....................

Interview Questions

• Questions asked related to business scenerios   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IKEA (Miami, FL).

Interview

HR called me 10 days after submitting my application. I didn't receive an email or anything regarding they were going to call me for phone interview so was rather surprised to have an interview out of the blue. It was maybe 15 minutes. Very nice lady said someone would call within two weeks if they wanted to schedule an in person interview

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite room in your house and why? Where do you get your inspiration from? How would you define success?   Answer Question

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vilnius (Lithuania)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Vilnius (Lithuania)) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online sending over the CV and portfolio. Was invited to the interview within 2 weeks, and met with a full team of interior designers. The interview was heartfelt, and cosy, we talked as few friends over a cup of coffee.

Interview Questions

• The main question which repeated itself during the conversation, will I feel alright working in the team.   Answer Question

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

Asked to complete 2 projects pre interview, given 2 weeks for this. attended first interview standard interview questions (about 30 questions!) with a few design based questions like what is the most important room in a house. Then asked to present projects to the 2 interviewers. The second interview was with a senior manager of the interior design team. Again another lot of standard interview questions and presenting projects and own design portfolio. They asked a lot of questions mostly standard interview questions such as why you want to work here, tell me about yourself etc. I asked a lot of questions about the role too.

Interview Questions

• why you want to work here, tell me about yourself, what can you bring to the role. who is your role model, favourite room in your house and why, some situation questions like have you ever disagreed with someone above you and what was outcome   Answer Question

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IKEA (Dubai (United Arab Emirates)) in September 2015.

Interview

After applying online and also through a staff referral. we got a group interview, we did a lot of activities like creating mood boards and analyzing existing interiors and designing rooms for clients, interview was fun and unusual! We even had to style dinner parts of interior through going to marketplace and picking up accessories.

Interview Questions

• What do Interior Designers do at IKEA?
      What do you know about IKEA?
      Answer Question

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rome (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Rome (Italy)) in August 2015.

Interview

Reveiced a phone call from HR four months after my application on Jobsoul, offering me the Interior Design Intern position which I previously applied for.
    Had a aroup Interview + Interior Design "Test" + Individual Interview 2 weeks later in the same day.
    Individual Interview with the Store Management/Interior Design Management 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Are you one of our customers? Would you tell us one product you like and why?   1 Answer