IKEA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IKEA (New York, NY).

Interview

the interview was easy and in a very friendly environment. was 1:1 interview but ant the end HR manager joined and asked a couple of questions as well. Again got a call from them and had a second interview and got my offer letter and drug test at the same time.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you took the lead.   2 Answers

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Sheffield, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was set out in different stages. First you apply online and once successful you will be given an interview date and time. At the interview you are asked 1 on 1 questions such as “why ikea” “how are you fit for the role” and it is a fairly welcoming atmosphere and they make you feel relaxed. My interviewer was very friendly and made me feel at ease. If you’re successful they will take you to book the next stage which is a group interview. You are given a time, date and location for your group interview. At your next interview you have to have certain things prepared such as interesting facts about you but you are told about what you need before the date. You then sign in and get your photo taken, and then sit down with the group of other people that had applied. In total at my interview there were around 30 people which was quite overwhelming but try not to stress. The Ikea team then introduce themselves and discuss basic company values and goals. They then split you into teams which is determined by the colour of the badge that they give you when you first arrive, and the first activity is to discuss prior work experience within your small groups. I found this difficult as i didn’t have work experience which meant i couldn’t contribute to the discussion. Then we moved onto a roleplay exercise where some members of the group act out customers and the other members assist them in finding certain products. My group was really friendly and funny but they were all a lot older than me so they occasionally would tend to over look me and you can really sense the competition between the members as everyone was trying to compete and sell themselves. Whilst the group exercises take place, several employees watch and assess the performance which i found quite daunting. After this stage we moved onto a room design stage, where we analysed photos of Ikea rooms and tried to guess who lived there and the demographic that it applied to. This was fairly easy and fun and you work in your small groups and report this back to the employees that are assessing you. Then you move onto the interview stage, where two employees ask you questions about why you want to work there and the experience that you have. I found my interviewers to be quite condescending and not very empathetic with the fact that i hadn’t had any previous work experience and throughout the long interview i already got the feeling that i had failed due to their lack of interest and they kept gossiping amongst themselves about things that weren’t related to the interview. Also, my previous interviewer changed the hours i had put down, as i said i wanted to work 12 hours whereas he noted down 20 hours, so my interviewers weren’t willing to change my hours to what suited me. I then already knew i had failed because of their body language and they kept hinting that i was unsuccessful by saying things such as “we will keep your application for the future” and “if you’re not successful don’t be upset.” After this stage we moved onto a presentation stage where we had to present interesting facts about ourselves to some other interviewers and a different group of people. This was quite daunting but everyone gets nervous. I then got an email a day later saying i was unsuccessful which i already guessed. I believe this was due to a lack of previous work experience as i felt everything else went well. Overall the staff can be quite judgmental however some are very friendly and make you comfortable.

IT Backoffiice Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IKEA in March 2015.

Interview

I thought it was strange that they require you to complete a logic test. The logic test requires you to do math questions, and logic patterns. I asked the HR person why they require this kind of test, and if the score is an accurate representation of future success at IKEA. She said that they have been giving the test test for 20 plus years. It's true, didn't change at all in 20 years. Test was long, timed and required to be taken in one sitting with less than one Minute per logic question.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever work for IKEA or do you know someone that worked for ikea?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IKEA (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and two days later completed a phone interview and got invited to a group interview, there were 13 people in total making it impossible to give input without repeating, no one gave realistic answers and kept sucking up, making it impossible for them to get to know you as a person. They later called me backed offered me a different position and never called back to confirm it when they said they would call.

Customer Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (New Haven, CT) in July 2015.

Interview

First was phone interview with the HR representative of the store location, they have a list of questions prepared which took approximately 30-40 minutes to answer it thoroughly. After that, they set up a physical interview date with the department manager that I applied for, the manager also followed the same guidelines for the interview questions. Got the job offer approximately 2 days later. After that, the background check with a third company takes 2 weeks depending when your previous employers give them the information they need. Finally, there was a drug test needed to be done around the local clinic.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a situation where you overcame a difficult obstacle during work.   Answer Question
    • What makes a good manager?   1 Answer

Goods Co-Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IKEA (Baltimore, MD) in October 2015.

Interview

I was never able to actually have the interview because I could never get in touch with the contact person at the call center. Yes, this company actually uses call center representatives to interview potential candidates. I've never heard of something so ridiculous or pretentious. If you ever are contacted by IKEA for an interview and have to go through the same nightmare I just did, maybe try leaving voice mails with answers to interview questions you found online. THAT might be the only way you ever get your interview with IKEA!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to keep returning a phone call to a call center representative who never bothered checking his voice mail until the next day, and could never return phone calls in a timely manner.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at IKEA (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Phone call only interview...Rescheduled first one...some how I missed the call; then realized I was in a different time zone on vacation California and phone updated time reminder...called the HR ignored my calls...even tried to get someone else..they won't pick up anyway. Disturbing...told my friend who works there about the situation and was appalled; since there is no in-house like it used to be. Applied later for another position; just ignored. I used to work there; back in the day and fully qualified. Companies who don't oversee the hiring process are flaked by individuals with I can't be touched HR dept in another state syndrome effect. Even the manager said they don't approve of the hiring process and have little to no involvement in it.

Sales Co-Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IKEA.

Interview

in online. you can connect the ikea web site and can choose any positions you want or are interested in. Usually, you can get the invitation of the group intervew within 30 days. when uploading your CV, Cover letter, please don't use asian style.

Interview Questions

• not difficult, but don't expect you to pass all the interview at once.   Answer Question

Negotiation

i didn't have any negotiation phase.

IKEA Kitchen Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IKEA in July 2013.

Interview

Applied online - received email in a few days. Got a surprise call that same morning I received the email, despite the email telling me to call him. Their HR office is out of state (located in Baltimore). The representative was hurried, straightforward, and somewhat rude. It appeared that he did not read my resume, his questions were not personal and did not apply to my situation. I've interviewed many places before (phone and in person) and this was the most awkward and strangest interview I ever had. I never met such an unfriendly recruiter in my life. The wages for this position is not competitive. The industry average is $12.00+ an hour, my former employee paid me full commission where I averaged $19.00. When I said my expected salary was $10.00 (average Ikea pay via websites, respectfulness), the man became offended and said "we only pay $7.00!" in a very annoyed voice. $7.00 is below minimum wage in my state, my friend. Most places lead their interview questions based on specific answers on your resume or the position. The questions he asked to do not lead to a great sales associate. This is exactly why I receive absolutely no customer service at Ikea and their kitchen department. Sorry Ikea, I interviewed somewhere else and received a management position instead. I had high hopes for this place, I thought people who worked for Ikea was happy. I guess I was wrong, the recruiter sounded like he was having a very bad day.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a SPECIFIC situation where teamwork was crucial?   1 Answer
    • Can you tell me a SPECIFIC situation where working alone was more effective that working with others?   1 Answer

Did not appreciate how I was treated on the phone. Declined further interviews in person. Unimpressed with the company. Ignored/blocked any additional emails, accepted a management position somewhere else. Terrible impression with company.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at IKEA (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

applied online on company's job board site. Got the email a week later said they were going to follow other candidates.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IKEA in September 2010.

Interview

First there was a telephone interview where they asked about me and my experience/availabilities/why i want to work in IKEA. Then they emailed for a group interview the day after, and there we had to first introduce the person next to us, then in the second part we had to build a box and then sell it to the group observers and then we had a test which was matching products codes to names. And then each of us had a one on one interview which was jus like a normal interview