IKEA Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 6, 2017

3.2

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IKEA (Portland, OR) in April 2016.

Interview

Met several managers at a meet and greet, then came back the next day for an interview with one manager. There were several interviews occurring at the same time, in one room. My interviewer was quite young and I believe my (older) age had much to do with not being offered a job. All managers/supervisors who were interviewing were fairly young, which may be the culture they are looking for.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IKEA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied for a full time sales position and was contacted for an interview a few weeks later. And by "contacted" I mean the manager happened to see me and wanted to do the interview right then. There was no real planning on his part.

After answering some generic questions, the interview took a sour turn. His demeanor was very pompous and arrogant. Additionally, he made snide remarks about my career aspirations and answers to his questions. I withdrew my application the same day; no job is worth that disrespect.

Interview Questions

• "What are your career goals/do you have any other job besides working at IKEA?"

"If hired when can you begin?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Covina, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IKEA (West Covina, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I filled out an application in person and got a call back within a week. I only had one interview but it went well except I was found overqualified and was not hired for fear I would leave for better pay.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA in June 2009.

Interview

The call was made early in the morning and when I didn't answer they left a message. When I called back later on around noon no one would answer and I mad to leave a message. I would call back every couple days but every time no one would answer. I finally received an email saying the position I applied for was filled.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online and then got invited for a video interview, they are quite slow to respond or take you onto the next stage
    Only got to the video interview stage, Ikea at least give you 2 retries to record your answers.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Sheffield, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was set out in different stages. First you apply online and once successful you will be given an interview date and time. At the interview you are asked 1 on 1 questions such as “why ikea” “how are you fit for the role” and it is a fairly welcoming atmosphere and they make you feel relaxed. My interviewer was very friendly and made me feel at ease. If you’re successful they will take you to book the next stage which is a group interview. You are given a time, date and location for your group interview. At your next interview you have to have certain things prepared such as interesting facts about you but you are told about what you need before the date. You then sign in and get your photo taken, and then sit down with the group of other people that had applied. In total at my interview there were around 30 people which was quite overwhelming but try not to stress. The Ikea team then introduce themselves and discuss basic company values and goals. They then split you into teams which is determined by the colour of the badge that they give you when you first arrive, and the first activity is to discuss prior work experience within your small groups. I found this difficult as i didn’t have work experience which meant i couldn’t contribute to the discussion. Then we moved onto a roleplay exercise where some members of the group act out customers and the other members assist them in finding certain products. My group was really friendly and funny but they were all a lot older than me so they occasionally would tend to over look me and you can really sense the competition between the members as everyone was trying to compete and sell themselves. Whilst the group exercises take place, several employees watch and assess the performance which i found quite daunting. After this stage we moved onto a room design stage, where we analysed photos of Ikea rooms and tried to guess who lived there and the demographic that it applied to. This was fairly easy and fun and you work in your small groups and report this back to the employees that are assessing you. Then you move onto the interview stage, where two employees ask you questions about why you want to work there and the experience that you have. I found my interviewers to be quite condescending and not very empathetic with the fact that i hadn’t had any previous work experience and throughout the long interview i already got the feeling that i had failed due to their lack of interest and they kept gossiping amongst themselves about things that weren’t related to the interview. Also, my previous interviewer changed the hours i had put down, as i said i wanted to work 12 hours whereas he noted down 20 hours, so my interviewers weren’t willing to change my hours to what suited me. I then already knew i had failed because of their body language and they kept hinting that i was unsuccessful by saying things such as “we will keep your application for the future” and “if you’re not successful don’t be upset.” After this stage we moved onto a presentation stage where we had to present interesting facts about ourselves to some other interviewers and a different group of people. This was quite daunting but everyone gets nervous. I then got an email a day later saying i was unsuccessful which i already guessed. I believe this was due to a lack of previous work experience as i felt everything else went well. Overall the staff can be quite judgmental however some are very friendly and make you comfortable.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IKEA (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Met with floor manager and sat in the office being questioned. I had to wait over 45 minutes to meet with her as she was busy with clients. This was a pre-screening to meet for a second, more formal interview...I haven't received a second call, it was over two weeks ago. It was a very informal meeting. I handed in my resume, described my experience and went on from there, answering questions.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IKEA in April 2012.

Interview

There was a job fair and I waited over an hour in line for turn to get my interview. The person who interviewed me was really nice and polite. She asked basic interview questions (Why do you want to work here? What motivates you?) which were all printed on a sheet of paper.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something unique about yourself that would be an asset to IKEA   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IKEA in September 2010.

Interview

First there was a telephone interview where they asked about me and my experience/availabilities/why i want to work in IKEA. Then they emailed for a group interview the day after, and there we had to first introduce the person next to us, then in the second part we had to build a box and then sell it to the group observers and then we had a test which was matching products codes to names. And then each of us had a one on one interview which was jus like a normal interview

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IKEA in November 2009.

Interview

I applied the sales associate position online. After a week they phone me to attend an interview which was quite informal. The manager asked me about five questions. The interview did not go well. And I did not hear from you after the interview.

Interview Questions

• what do you think we should hire you over other applicants?   Answer Question