IKEA Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 6, 2017

2.6

44 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA.

Interview

Ikea's interview process was both a fun and unique experience. My first interview was a group hiring event where around thirty other applicants and I were taken into a conference room where we were split up between managers in groups of four. We were asked one question, and then each group was given a task to be completed as a team. The task was used to let the managers observe how well each candidate worked in a group with others to reach a common goal. They were able to observe our personalities as well as our communication skills firsthand. Later, they selected some of us to continue to the next step in the hiring process by providing references and information for a background check. After about a week, I was called in for a one on one interview with the manager interested in hiring me onto her team. I had a professional interview with both my manager and her boss, and a week later, I was called in for one last meeting in which I was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer, OR tell us about a time when you handled an extremely difficult customer."   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ikea is looking for someone who is willing to start building a career through them, so they want to make sure you're comfortable with the hours you choose. Really consider how much time you will have to come to work before you make your decision. If you're going to school or have family obligations, make sure you are very clear with the times you will be available. Ikea is highly supportive of your life outside the workplace, so they want to make sure you can schedule your time wisely.

Other Interview Reviews for IKEA

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IKEA (Emeryville, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

Pretty normal interview. They ask about previous jobs, your work ethic, what you think you can bring to the company, your availability, future plans, and ect. The interview lasts about 20 minutes. Once the first interview is over they typically call within a week for a second interview and make you an offer and a referral to the nearest drug testing facility.

Anonymous Employee in Stoughton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IKEA (Stoughton, MA).

Interview

This is my one complaint. The hiring process was so incredibly drawn out. I applied in late March/early April of 2009, was interviewed in May and I didn't start work until June. And this was to semi-urgently fill the vacant position. The interview process itself was decent, you go into a cozy little room decorated and outfitted with Ikea furniture (naturally) the interviewers were friendly, they ask thought-provoking questions, and sometimes you may be asked to come in for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall any specific questions. They weren't humdingers like Google has, but they do require you to think.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IKEA (Brooklyn, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

One on one interview with a couple managers. It was very comforting and smooth. It began with a group discussion and panel. And once notified for further questions, it transitioned into one on one interviews. The managers asked basic questions about past experiences in former job positions.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle certain guest interactions that are unpleasant to typically deal with?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IKEA (West Chester, OH).

Interview

I filled out an online application about a week before I got a call from one of the managers. He asked me to come in for an interview that next day. I went in and filled out another paper application form. I was interviewed by a manager in the bath section who wanted to hire me in his area (keep in mind I have no experience in that area whatsoever). The interview took about an hour, maybe longer including filling out the paper application. He told me he would call me by that next week and that he's planning to hire around memorial day(3 weeks away), but instead I got a call the next day to do some more paperwork and then to start me off in the next couple of days. I took the drug test during my interview as well, it was a saliva drug test, nothing that difficult.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you have a saved money for a company you have worked for?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you have had to deal with multiple things at one time   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you have had to do something that you had little or no experience or training in   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IKEA (West Chester, OH) in May 2013.

Interview

Filled out the application on line. About a week later, I was given a call by one of the managers at Ikea. He asked me to come in for an interview that next day. When I showed up, I was asked to fill out a paper application as well. He called me back and it was the basic interviews questions. I ended up doing a drug test then and there. It was a saliva drug test, so nothing too difficult. He told me he would give me a call in a week and that he was hiring for the end of may(3 weeks from then). I got a call the next day from a lady in HR and asked me to come in that Monday to fill out more paperwork and to start on Tuesday instead. They have two days of orientation, and it really gets you use to their values and their store policies. It also helps you get use to their store a little better since it is HUGE.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Ikea?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you have saved money for a company that you worked for?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IKEA (Houston, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

Straight forward questions nothing too difficult, phone interview followed by interview with two team leaders.
    Also said there is a possible drug test which I felt was a little intrusive. The pay seemed competitive for the position.

Interview Questions

• why do you think your an appropriate candidate for this position   Answer Question

hours where to long

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IKEA (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2012.

Interview

I applied almost less than a month ago and then last week got a phone call for a phone interview, missed it and called back, they didn't call for the rest of the day. They called again the next day, I missed it again and then called back, no call for the rest of the day. Finally they called back on the third day and I was able to answer the phone. I guess that they work on their own time. I did the phone interview and it was okay, I felt kind of weird after. This past week I got an email and a phone call for an in person interview. I went in today and it was typical questions for a retail position, but they had me do a written application, then interviewed, then gave me the job description and walked out, walked back in and said that they wanted to move forward. I guess that meant that I got the job because I filled out a background check form and agreed to do a drug test, which I haven't done... I think that the background check is done first.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too difficult or unexpected... but do your homework... part of the first question that they asked me was what I knew about IKEA.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IKEA (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Apply from web.
    Get the interview.
    30 minitue process with my prospective manager.
    respond by phone.
    Background check. Drug test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Covina, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IKEA (West Covina, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I filled out an application in person and got a call back within a week. I only had one interview but it went well except I was found overqualified and was not hired for fear I would leave for better pay.