IMC Financial Markets Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IMC Financial Markets Interview Questions

Updated Jan 15, 2018

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview

First, I received a logic and coding test. The logic test had some hard questions near the end, but it was doable. The coding test was pretty straightforward. Next, I had a HireVue video interview where I had to record myself answering questions about several scenarios. Afterwards, I was invited to an onsite in Chicago with 3 rounds (coding, behavioral, and algorithms).

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL).

Interview

This was definitely one of the worst interview processes I've had so far. I've had a phone interview with a HR from IMC. She suggested me to prepare on market making and probability questions, which is quite normal for a prop trading firm.
    The interview was very unpleasant. The HR person did not have any idea about what market making is. Unlike other interviewers from prop trading firms, she did not give any hints about probability / stats questions.
    At the end, she asked me if I had any questions, but when I asked a very general question about their business, she declined to comment. Why do you ask people for questions if you don't want to answer them?

Interview Questions

IMC Financial Markets Response

Nov 6, 2017

We pride ourselves on the amount of time and energy we invest in finding new talent, so it’s very surprising to hear about your experience. It’s extremely important that we make interviewing an... More

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview

Had to take a 24-minute "logical reasoning" quiz, which was easy at the beginning but got pretty hard at the end. Then had to take a Codility coding challenge, which was a LeetCode easy to medium. Was rejected a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Choose the next transformation in a series of transformations involving colored shapes. Seemed pretty easy in the beginning, but got pretty complicated and felt time-crunched at the end   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in October 2017.

Interview

The first assessment was 30 minutes long online test. It was just finding patterns questions similar to IQ test. After a day or two, I got an email saying I got to the next round. This time, they gave 3 coding questions to solve in 2 hours and 15 minutes. I thought the questions were easy and had more than enough time, but apparently I did not get the score they wanted.

Interview Questions

• They show symbols and examples of what each symbol does. Then, I need to choose right symbol or right figures that would make "the equation" correct.   Answer Question

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I actually don’t remember applying to this company. I tried looking up over my past emails ( I never delete my emails ) and I couldn’t find a confirmation email from imc. So I assumed that it was a cold “automatic” email.

The email was an invitation for a IQ test. This was the first red flag. IQ has no correlation to my software skill. The test involved just shapes and patterns. I guessed near the end because it was a waste of my time.

Surprisingly, I went onto the next round. This one was a codablitiy test. Of the three questions asked were the exact same questions as the ones listed on the older reviews. I’m pretty sure that I got all three questions correct. I double checked after the interview was over. The very next day, I receive a rejection email.

ALL EMAILS seems to be automated. The rejection email was labeled as spam for me.

Tips for IMC: please care for your candidates. Talk about wtf the internship will consist of and actual have a real human sending out these outreach emails. Please don’t waste our time.

Tips for you: Don’t bother with this company if you’re looking for an internship. Utilize your saved time in applying to other companies.

Interview Questions

• Words
      Elevator
      Something else... forgot.

They weren’t hard at all. You can pick a language too   Answer Question

IMC Financial Markets Response

Nov 7, 2017 – HR

We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your interview process. Based on the high volume of applicants we receive we’re forced to send automated emails as a part of our process in... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview

Online technical assessment then short in-person campus interview. Was later invited to interview in-person in the Chicago office. Day long interview process with three technical interviews and one behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Expected value of a game where you draw red or black cards.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in October 2017.

Interview

Very organized onsite interview process. There will email ahead to inform you what sessions will you expect during the interviews. My interview timeline is: apply on University's career fair -> online logic questions -> coding challenge -> on-campus interview -> onsite interview. The onsite interview consists of 1 Algo/DS session, 1 Coding on computer session, and 1 bq session. Questions asked in technical sessions are not hard but interesting, with some follow-ups. Need to be very familiar with Algo/DS to solve them. Interview developers are all very nice. Overall it's a positive experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in October 2017.

Interview

apply online with their official website, then got OA one day after. I think they offer OA no matter what. All of my friends who applies this company got OA.

Interview Questions

• Just some basic algorithms, I use Python to solve all of them   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Pretty much the same process as everyone else. No human interaction whatsoever. I applied online, and received an invitation to the logical test within 12 hours. The logical was easy at the start but got harder towards the end. Day after that I received the invitation to the online assessment, had 3 days to start it but only 2 and a half hours to complete it. As I was busy that weekend with a midterm, 2 assignments and tutoring, I emailed them asking to push the deadline back by one day but got no response. OA had the same 3 questions as everyone else - longest valid password in a substring, elevator question, and the 2D array countries question. I got all of them right, but I guess my scores (assuming my complexity) were not high enough as I received the rejection email the next day.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2D array filled with integers, any adjacent element (vertically or horizontally) with the same integer is considered a country. Return how many countries exist in the given array.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

Interview

Started off with an online assessment of 3 coding questions. I was then invited to move on to a online interview where I never heard back. The online interview was pretty strange. There was a question presented on the screen and you just had to record your answer. I thought it was pretty hard.