IMC Financial Markets Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IMC Financial Markets Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2017.

Interview

Receive an OA first, which focus on logical reasoning. It's 24 mins with 8 sessions. The 7 and 8 sessions are kind of hard, rushed. After pass it, I received second OA and which is 2 hours and 15 mins long with three coding problems.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview

Awful interview process. Had an in-person interview with a software engineer. The interviewer was incredibly rude and condescending, spent most of his time talking about himself. Took a phone call in the middle of the interview. Interviewer said they would follow up with details about the process, and I never received a follow-up. Do not apply here.

Interview Questions

• Didn't get asked any. Engineer just talked about his work.   Answer Question

IMC Financial Markets Response

Dec 2, 2016 – Head of HR

We are sorry to hear about your interview and continually strive to make sure every candidate has a positive experience. We would encourage you to reach back out to the recruiter you worked with... More

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview

Started interview process with a speed-based critical thinking and mental math test. Afterwards, had a skype interview with a technical recruiter. Questions were fairly basic and were meant to first gauge interest. Started by reviewing my resume and experience. At the end, I had a quick options pricing technical dealing with payoff diagrams.

Quantitative Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Online reasoning test (think LSAT style logic questions). Some mental math as well. Passed the online test and then had a skype interview with someone in HR. Interview was mostly fit focused with a few questions about options theory at the end; nothing too difficult. Was told during interview that I would be invited out to the Superday, which I had about a week and a half later. Superday was about 3-4 hours, with one behavioral interview, and a few technical interviews that focused on both pure math and probability as well as options and futures theory. Interviews were a lot more focused on financial concepts and fit then other trading firms I interviewed at, although there was still a decent portion that focused on pure quantitative skills.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Flew to Chicago for on-site interview. Everyone was very nice and respectful throughout the whole process. Technical questions weren't very difficult, mostly what you learn in school. Company headquarters is extremely well-presented.

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Had a couple of phone interviews before being invited on-site. The superday consisted of several rounds. Had to price a future and then trade on it, an algo round where they asked me to solve some problems recursively, some stats and prob round, reconstruct a order book and talk with HR

Interview Questions

• 1) 52 cards draw one at at time, you get +1 for black -1 for red, find the EV.
      2) You have 100 noodles and you grab the end of two noodles randomly and connect them together, find the EV of the number of loops
      3) Why trading / tell me about a time ..............
      4) Figure out the formula for a future from scratch, price something using it, make a market on it and trade on it.   Answer Question

Quantitative Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Online IQ-style test. Mostly standard arithmetic and pattern recognition with a few unexpected questions related to reading comprehension and attention to detail.
    On-campus interview with recruiter. Fit questions with some questions on finance at the end.
    On-site super day with 20+ other applicants. 4 rounds of interviews. Pretty big jump in difficulty in technical questions between the on-campus and on-site. Definitely study up on the stuff that you're told to study for. Also, larger-than-expected behavioral component, which caught me off-guard a little.
    Very good experience overall. The process was fast and well-coordinated. Interviewees were well-fed. Interesting mix of interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Options/future pricing. Would recommend reading a textbook book on derivatives pricing.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I interview first round on campus with a hr, it was a very intuitive question, got email about final round 2 days later and final round was scheduled after a week.
    Surprisingly almost all the questions are about finance, so if you are looking for quantitative role with a cs/math background this might not be a good choice. I have two final round interviewers with Econ/finance background and I felt very hard to communicate with them.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Invited to take online coding test (three questions). First question is to tell if you can actually code (eg compute nth Fibonacci number). Subsequent questions were a bit harder but manageable, emphasizing minimizing space and time complexity.

Interview Questions

• In a 2D array of integers, adjacent (vertically or horizontally) positions in the array are considered part of the same "country" if they contain the same integer. Given a 2D array of integers, compute the number of distinct countries in the array.   1 Answer

Winter Trading Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online after attending a recruiting event at my university. Took their online "trading assessment" (timed logic/reasoning test) and was offered a skype interview a few days later. Video interview consisted of basic background questions, layperson-level summary of graduate research, and two exercises on options pricing/payouts.

Interview Questions

• Educational background, explain graduate research, graph profits v. stock price for various options.   Answer Question

See What IMC Financial Markets Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Trader in Chicago, IL

Pros: “I personally feel like I've had an interesting career. I've worked for a few of what many would consider to be 'top tier' organizations: engineer at NASA; consultant...”“I personally feel like I've had an interesting career. I've worked for a few of what many would consider to be 'top tier' organizations: engineer at NASA; consultant for McKinsey, trader at Goldman Sachs. Of these, IMC has been my favorite place to work by far, and an employer that I hope to work for until I retire. A few highlights: Work with very talented people on interesting problems - makes you learn and grow your capabilities more rapidly than I've experienced elsewhere. I often tell people this is what you should be looking for out of school. Most people coming out of undergrad look to optimize starting salary. I understand why it happens, I did the same thing. It's really all you think you have to work with at that point, and you have to optimize something. :) It's not the right thing to look at though. If you find a place where you'll increase your skill set at the most rapid pace, you're raising your own personal value. In a free market economy for labor, that will optimize your personal wealth over the long term. (if that's what's important to you) Don't take the previous statement to mean that IMC doesn't pay competitive starting salaries though, we do. :) Promote best candidates - Talent doesn't always follow seniority. Case in point, I think I have quite a bit of experience. I'm currently 40 years old. My boss is 31?(ish) We're both in the right spots. I don't begrudge him at all, I'm happy he's my boss. He's very very good at what he does. (and at the risk of not sounding humble, I'm also not an idiot) ;) In my humble opinion, an organization that lets the most talented people rise to the top at whatever pace they're ready will be more successful for it. In general, compared to all of the other places I've worked, this really is a very young organization. I think that affects our organizational culture as to how we make decisions. There's not a lot of 'Oh, he's the old guy, he probably knows best, so let's just listen to him.' It's much more about who has the best idea, and has the stats / proof to back it up. That's what gets decided on. (that also feeds into my previous point about how we end up promoting people) Fun to come to work - we have plenty of benefits and I feel like the company really cares about us. We do a lot of fun things together like take an annual company trip, go to concerts, etc. This promotes a culture where most people in the office get to know each other. From personal experience, it's much easier to work on a project and get a lot of high quality work done with someone if you've hung out with them and care about them personally. Well managed, nimble organization - Leadership positions the organization well to be competitive. I'm confident in our ability as an organization to be at the top of our industry.” – Full Review