IMC Financial Markets Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2017

3.2

23 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview

Started interview process with a speed-based critical thinking and mental math test. Afterwards, had a skype interview with a technical recruiter. Questions were fairly basic and were meant to first gauge interest. Started by reviewing my resume and experience. At the end, I had a quick options pricing technical dealing with payoff diagrams.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IMC Financial Markets

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I interview first round on campus with a hr, it was a very intuitive question, got email about final round 2 days later and final round was scheduled after a week.
    Surprisingly almost all the questions are about finance, so if you are looking for quantitative role with a cs/math background this might not be a good choice. I have two final round interviewers with Econ/finance background and I felt very hard to communicate with them.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview

Had a online test first. Basically logic, simple math and personality stuff. Had some questions that asked you to write a free response to some probability questions. Make sure to be detailed with your answer. Then had an short interview with a recruiter. The recruiter was really nice and helpful. Asked some questions about option payoffs, not particularly difficult. Overall an pleasant experience.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Trader Intern - Applied online. Completed a math/logic assessment, which was very easy. Next was a Skype interview with some fit questions and one question about options pricing. Then flew out to Chicago for a superday, which included four rounds of interviews. One was behavioral with HR and the other three were options pricing theory, recreating a book with missing information, and a probability assessment. I received an offer same day.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you need to know in order to price an option? A future? Price this future.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Would be pretty silly to negotiate about a one week internship.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets in November 2015.

Interview

Initial online logical reasoning test, followed by an on campus interview. The online portion was basically an IQ test where you need to identify patterns and what not, with each question having a time limit. The on campus interview had a little bit of personality and "why trading." I was also asked to draw different payoff diagrams for options.

Interview Questions

• What is an algorithm you use in daily life?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Two HR ladies asked me a bunch of questions about my previous employer; not about me, but how and who my previous employer hires, how much we were paid, so and so forth. This questioning and note taking went on for 20 minutes then they finished off with one behavior question. Looking back it looks like an obvious red flag but right then I just answered what I was asked.

Interview Questions

• Which other schools did your previous employer hire from ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Went into the final round interview in Chicago. The first day is a group interview with a case study. The second day contains fours parts, behavioral questions, financial questions, math and statistic questions and a short case study to see your learning ability. Overall the questions are not hard, but have to be responsive and quick minded. They are seeking fast-learners. I didn't prepare well.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets.

Interview

I approached an IMC recruiter and dropped my resume at my University. Since I had visited so many booths I had forgotten what position I had applied for. I got an email inviting me for an interview. I was told it would be a technical interview. Thinking it was for Software Developer I prepared for that well. On the day of the interview I learned I was interviewing for a trader position. Regardless, I didn't perform we

Interview Questions

• I given some obscure finance related Matlab code used by the company and asked to explain everything about it. Since I had no experience with Matlab it was quite difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Talked with IMC on college career fair. They contacted me that night and asked to arrange an interview on campus. Interviewed nearby, about an hour long, and followed up later with on-site for a half-day interview. The half-day interview consisted of basic ideas involving finance, math problems, and some logic questions. They also asked me to describe something interesting I learned about in the past 6 months. They followed up a couple days afterwards with a summer internship offer. IMC was friendly and responsive during the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Recreate the order book history given some information about trades.   Answer Question
    • You have a deck of 3 black cards and 3 red cards in random order. There is a game where you turn over one card at a time; if it is red you win a dollar, if it is black you lose a dollar. How much would you pay to play this game?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMC Financial Markets (Evanston, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

Before the in person interview, they made me take two online tests, one was basic logic and the other was math/graphs. Both were pretty easy. After that, I was contacted for an in person interview. Typical interview questions plus a brainteaser. My interviewer seemed like she was rushing through the interview though, so it wasnt a very good experience