IMC Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IMC Trading Interview Questions

Interviews at IMC Trading

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMC Trading.

Interview

The interview process is extremely unprofessional and time wasting, the process combines two online assessment and a video recording assessment and you never hear back from them unless you follow up consistently after each step. I ended up getting no respond from them after the video interview and no matter how I follow up they did not respond with a single word. Considering the time I've spent on previous assessments and video recording, I think they should at least have some respect to the candidates.

Do not apply here

Interview Questions

• coding challenge + IQ test + recording video answering technical and behavior questions, none of them contains any interaction with their engineers or recruiters.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in May 2019.

Interview

1. Technical phone screening with a software engineer. Lasts about 1 hour.
    2. Online Saville tests (reading comprehension, basic mathematics, logic, behavioral questions)
    3. On-site interview (technical part as well as an "HR part"). Lasts about half a day

Interview Questions

• - Typical behavioral questions.
      - BigO complexity
      - Functioning of some data structures (hash maps, trees, lists)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading in September 2018.

Interview

The first part of the interview process included a 90 minute coding challenge, followed by two phone interviews depending on how well you did on the coding challenge. It is highly recommended that you get a lot of practice from Leetcode or similar platforms, before taking the coding challenge, as time is quite constrained if you consider debugging.

Interview Questions

• There was only one coding question, that primarily tested your knowledge of different aspects of data structures and algorithms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2018.

Interview

OA, Reasoning Test, 1 on 1 campus interview. Overall was not too hard since I prepared/was currently learning the questions I was asked, but I was pretty incoherent in my explanations which is probably why I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• Given list of battleship positions and hits, find how many ships have been sunk and how many ships have been hit, but not sunk. Was not too hard
      1 on 1 campus interview was almost all technical, asked what data structure to use for a library in terms of checking out books/overdue. Asked about threads, when hash is worse than linear, sorting questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IMC Trading.

Interview

I applied online and got OA in a week. OA does not work out well and got rejected several days after finishing it. The process is about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• The question in OA is easy to understand and implement but somehow they do not give input to test cases so it's very hard to debug.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IMC Trading in October 2018.

Interview

Relatively easy online coding test and enough time to finish, so there's no need to rush.
    However, the descriptions can be unclear. I made the wrong assumption about the input parameter data and wrote my algo based on that. MY algo did exactly what I wanted to do and was quite efficient too. But, turned out because I made a slightly off assumption, I was actually solving the problem in a wrong way.

I take this as part my oversight and the fault of how the question was worded. Seriously, you could have just explained exactly how the input parameters are structured.

Interview Questions

• Basic Algo question. Maybe Medium difficulty on Hackerrank?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading in February 2018.

Interview

Got an email with a link for online coding. The online coding round was good. The coding round consists of 3 questions and the time limit was 1 hour 30 mins.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IMC Trading in August 2018.

Interview

Online screening:
    - IQ test
    - Personality test
    - Hackerrank like problem

Home assignment:
    - Exercises that are not hard algorithmically but require you to think about software design
    - 1 phone interview to discuss your assignment

Onsite interview:
    - 1hour to discuss a software problem focused on time and memory complexities
    - 1hour to implement the solution on a computer
    - 1hour to discuss technical projects you worked on before
    - 1hour of cultural fit interview

They paid the flights, the hotel and I had lunch in their very nice cafeteria

The onsite technical interviews were challenging and I really enjoyed them

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Atlanta, GA) in September 2018.

Interview

online coding, online reasoning, online video, rejected.
    I guess no one was offered. Are they hiring people? I didn't get any human talk to me.
    So, the experience is really bad.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to do a phone interview soon after. They asked me about my resume, the usual, and then asked me a few general questions about data structures, nothing too complicated. For instance, they asked me about how a HashMap works.

After that I was invited to Chicago for an on-site. They put me up in a nice hotel right near their offices in the Willis Tower (except there were lights under the bed which I had to crawl under and un-plug to get to sleep, lol).

The next day I went up to their offices and they gave me a tour with four other candidates. It's pretty small: one entire floor on the tower, and they have a very nice dining area, a game area, and some nice places to relax. After they they put me in a room with the other candidates and took us one at a time to whichever interview stage had an opening. So we got a lot of welcome time to relax in the waiting room between internet stages. They had some donuts and orange juice for us and an HR rep was in there chatting with us when they weren't busy with the interview logistics.

All in all the interview was well set up on HR's side, but I had some reservations about the technical parts. In the first technical interview stage they asked me to complete some Java code. They said: "We know you said your Java is very rusty but we use Java here so we want you to use Java." Well, that would have been fine if they'd told me that before the interview, but before the interview I was told that I could use C++ so that was misrepresented to me. The other two technical interviews were more expected, but quite difficult and I got stumped badly by one of them. It was a tough interview. The HR interview parts were what you would expect from an HR interview, with a couple of weird questions.

I sort of had a career-epiphany during this interview. The developers didn't seem very passionate about their work and I can understand why: their work, on automated trading software, essentially only serves to make a few very rich people richer than they already are. I found it very difficult to feel passionate about that. Also there were two distinct types of employees here: the developers and the traders. It looked to me like they got along fine, but they seemed to keep somewhat separate. When we had lunch, none of the traders were there, and they have a separate side of the building. But I did see a developer and a trader trading some witty banter at one point.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a spice-rack for blind people?   1 Answer