IMC Trading Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to do a phone interview soon after. They asked me about my resume, the usual, and then asked me a few general questions about data structures, nothing too complicated. For instance, they asked me about how a HashMap works.

After that I was invited to Chicago for an on-site. They put me up in a nice hotel right near their offices in the Willis Tower (except there were lights under the bed which I had to crawl under and un-plug to get to sleep, lol).

The next day I went up to their offices and they gave me a tour with four other candidates. It's pretty small: one entire floor on the tower, and they have a very nice dining area, a game area, and some nice places to relax. After they they put me in a room with the other candidates and took us one at a time to whichever interview stage had an opening. So we got a lot of welcome time to relax in the waiting room between internet stages. They had some donuts and orange juice for us and an HR rep was in there chatting with us when they weren't busy with the interview logistics.

All in all the interview was well set up on HR's side, but I had some reservations about the technical parts. In the first technical interview stage they asked me to complete some Java code. They said: "We know you said your Java is very rusty but we use Java here so we want you to use Java." Well, that would have been fine if they'd told me that before the interview, but before the interview I was told that I could use C++ so that was misrepresented to me. The other two technical interviews were more expected, but quite difficult and I got stumped badly by one of them. It was a tough interview. The HR interview parts were what you would expect from an HR interview, with a couple of weird questions.

I sort of had a career-epiphany during this interview. The developers didn't seem very passionate about their work and I can understand why: their work, on automated trading software, essentially only serves to make a few very rich people richer than they already are. I found it very difficult to feel passionate about that. Also there were two distinct types of employees here: the developers and the traders. It looked to me like they got along fine, but they seemed to keep somewhat separate. When we had lunch, none of the traders were there, and they have a separate side of the building. But I did see a developer and a trader trading some witty banter at one point.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a spice-rack for blind people?   1 Answer