IMC Trading Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IMC Trading Trading Interview Questions

Interviews at IMC Trading

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied through University -- did a quick in person interview on campus with HR which was very straightforward resume. Invited out to their office in Chicago to meet the team on a Thursday night and then "super day" on Friday. Did 4 or 5 interviews. Most of them fairly technical problem solving and a big focus on options pricing which I wasn't terribly familiar with.

Interview Questions

• Please derive Black-Scholes on the whiteboard behind you.
    How would you go about market making?
    Give me a two minute lesson on something you're passionate about.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IMC Trading

Trading Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at IMC Trading.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter with a link to apply. Was sent an IQ test on pattern matching and data analysis, then had a Skype interview that was fairly straightforward, had options payoff diagrams at the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process at IMC was tedious - they require completion of a really easy online computation test (protip: don't be slow, but in all honestly this isn't hard), followed by a skype call where you talk about your background and why you want to do trading at IMC (people say be honest, but if you really want the job, do you really think this is the right idea? My motivation for wanting to trade was legitimate but if I told them for example I was interested in earning to give, would that be a good idea?) followed by an options question (again very simple. read an intro book on options theory. it would take 5 min to peruse through the course notes in my financial math class to learn enough material such that you could answer the question). Perhaps the most difficult part, as is always the difficult part with interviews, was the subsequent online behavioral assessment. I wouldn't say be honest at all. I think I'm quite a relatively competent human being if you want to be truthful - I donate to charity much more than my peers and I go to a top 5 school where materialism is rampant. More importantly how does one weigh on a rating scale how strong they are in one quality versus another? Remarkably silly idea and it shows why the firm is lacking in talent. The key to such a behavioral assessment is to give them what they want to hear - you're perfect for trading, but not too perfect. I'd imagine organization is less valued, say, than being methodical, creative, hardworking, and good under stress. Consistency is perhaps the most important thing in this survey, if I'm correct - several questions will probably be repeated later on so remember your responses. Hooray! That constitutes your ability to be truthful/know yourself well! /sarcasm

Because of the results of my online survey, which I should've taken more seriously, I wasn't given any more information about the interview till the day before the interview despite being told I would receive this information a week prior to my interview. I even checked in with them as politely as I could about the delay/dishonesty and they said I would receive the info in the next few days which became the day before the interview. Really speaks negatively about a firm if their dishonesty is in such plain sight.

I was significantly overqualified for the position so it's unfortunate that structural barriers prevented me from getting the offer. I'm also pretty sure the interviewer didn't like the way I looked on the day of the interview - it's something that makes you wonder if you should pursue legal action. These corporate hurdles are sadly best dealt with by experience - you will probably fail your first few interviews and that's ok it's about learning. I'd recommend you find an older friend who's jumped the hurdles before because nepotism is how these things work largely - it's a sad fact really. There are, however, a select few respectable firms that care truly about the talent that makes a good trader and that is mathematical ability as well as some ability to crunch numbers. Note that these two things are different. If you want to work at JSC, go play poker and bet on silly things - this is how the people at my school get into trading at the top couple firms, namely JSC and Five Rings. QR is much more interesting and a different story entirely.

I'm happy to have gotten an offer from a respectable hedge fund. If you're a talented mathematical student, this should be cake as long as you know beforehand what hurdles to expect, but I'd steer clear of this place if you have offers from more respectable places. Good luck!

Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Sydney (Australia)) in August 2017.

Interview

Submit application online, received online psychometric and IQ style testing, invitation for online interview (4 fairly standard questions), invitation to assessment day. Did not progress to final interview or receive an offer afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Mental maths test components. No working allowed. Other typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMC Trading.

Interview

Was asked to take an online logical reasoning assessment as soon as I passed the resume screen. Was easy but still failed it. Must be that you can't get anything wrong.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions where you had to rotate shapes or detect patterns   Answer Question

Trading Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMC Trading.

Interview

I applied online - the application seemed standard. I was invited to the next part of selection process which was timed assessment on diagrammatic and numerical skills. After that, the next stage was a series of recorded video interviews.

Trading Interview

Interview

First step after the CV:

Attitude test online, several quantitative closed questions with short amount of time. It requires logical reasoning and speed in reading graphs. Then you have to do a videogame, which determines your psicological attitudes. Quite interesting!

Interview Questions

• The videgame is about memory and reflex. I scored really bad in my attention and concentration, a must for a trader.   Answer Question

Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in February 2016.

Interview

Started by applying online with a resume and a cover letter. Up next I had to complete both a programming logic test and an IQ test. Got a phone interview about motivation and resume. Then an interview with HR and a trader with mathematical questions. I did not make the cut to advance through to the next round which would have been another on site interview.

Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMC Trading (Paris (France)).

Interview

Entretien téléphonique de 30 minutes. Il s'agit ici d'un entretien de motivation c'est à dire avec des questions sur nos expériences précédentes, pourquoi le trading, savez vous ce qu'est le prop trading. Pourquoi pas une grande banque puisqu'elles font toutes du trading ?
    Puis un entretien d'une heure à Paris avec brainteaser.

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser: 27 trinquements dans une salle: combien de personnes ?   2 Answers