IMF Economist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IMF Economist Interview Questions

Updated Dec 14, 2016

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

After a campus interview, I was invited for a panel interview in the DC HQ. This consists of a written test and an interview with senior IMF economists and one person from HR. The interview is based on hypothetical policy problems in open-economy macro. So are questions on exchange rate policy, capital flows, fiscal policy etc. They will seldom debate what you say. They just take notes.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IMF

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

An senior economist called to ask some general economic questions of his interests and of interests to IMF. You first have time to describe your research, and then mention some policy implications. After that, you need answer some policy related questions. In the end, questions are about personalities and how to work in an environment valuing collaboration.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Madison, WI) in October 2015.

Interview

The IMF visit the campus to do the interview. First they asked me to tell them about my job market paper. Then they asked me a lot of policy questions related to or not related to my job market paper. After that, they will do a panel interview in Washington DC. The people are very friendly.

Interview Questions

• First they asked me to tell them about my job market paper. Then they asked me a lot of policy questions related to or not related to my job market paper. They also asked me about recent events in the European Union and in China.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

First round on campus interview
    second round on-site panel interview

Interview Questions

• How you determine whether a 3% of GDP government deficit is too much or too little.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IMF.

Interview

Straightforward panel interview. Detailed questions on Macroeconomic to test your basic knowledge, asking about interlinks between the sectors, the policy mix appropriate and applicable for each scenario given. More questions on your background, and relevance to the current job. Reason for wanting to work at the organization, and future career goals.

Interview Questions

• Write on the spot two pages on a topic with no access to resources.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IMF in December 2008.

Interview

Two rounds: first with the HR department, then with a panel.

Interview Questions

• Usually case-based. For example, a country runs into economic crisis, and how to set the policy mix right.   Answer Question