IMF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Translator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in May 2017.

Interview

There was a couple of steps before actual face-to-face interview; screening on paper, submission of Q&A on video, translation test at home, translation test at IMF, then a face-to-face interview. The interview was with 4 staff members, and the atmosphere was very friendly.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was sent an online test regarding my personality and computer skills. Once I passed this test my application was available to all departments. I was contacted about a week later and an interview was set up for the next week. The interview was primarily a personality test.

Interview Questions

• You and a colleague are responsible for completing tasks. Your colleague is constantly taking breaks and the work doesn't get finished. What would you do?   Answer Question
    • Your colleague is overbearing and tries to micromanage your work. How would you handle this?   Answer Question
    • Talk about one weakness and two strengths you possess   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online. I first had a phone interview question were as expected mostly related to the CV and some contemporary economic questions. I got short listed and went to DC for the panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your research paper and its policy implications in 5 min   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I went through two rounds of interviews for an IT business analyst position.

First round was with two interviewers on a conference call for an hour. I felt the interview was kind of weird (from my gut feeling) and the conference call format didn’t help – the two interviewers didn’t seem quite in sync with each other. The questions were pretty thorough – they ask a lot about your past experience and the role you played. They also asked other questions – like what was the average length of user stories I’ve written, how many user stories I’ve written, how many projects I’ve worked on, etc. They also asked for samples of past work.

Second round interview was in person in Washington, DC for 1.5 hours with two interviewers in the same room. The interview started late because their previous interview ran over. It was a mix of past experience and scenario-based questions, but primarily scenario based. Some scenarios revolved around what a typical BA faces on a daily basis (if you’ve been a BA for any substantial length of time, these should be easy), but some scenarios were a little weird – they seemed to be testing whether you understood what you would be doing at IMF. For these scenarios, I had to make a lot of assumptions about how IMF operates and how a BA might fit into that assumed operational structure. Fair or not, I drew a lot of conclusions on what it would be like to work at IMF based on these scenarios. Instead of providing past work examples, which I didn’t have, I offered to work through example problems of the IMF’s choosing on their whiteboard, but they declined.

I never heard back from the IMF on a decision, but given the length of time since the interviews I’m going to assume I’m not getting an offer.

Overall, the interview process gave me a very negative impression of the IMF (at least the IT department). My impression was that you would be on your own with little to no help from the other members of the team and under pressure to get up to speed quickly, including learning brand new software packages. I was never able to get a straight answer about the number of hours/week expected for this position.

Interview Questions

• Given scenario X, what is the BA's role in the scenario?   1 Answer
    • Given scenario X, what would you do (or what have you done in the past)?   1 Answer

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

An senior economist called to ask some general economic questions of his interests and of interests to IMF. You first have time to describe your research, and then mention some policy implications. After that, you need answer some policy related questions. In the end, questions are about personalities and how to work in an environment valuing collaboration.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied on line and was contacted by HR with a link for the staff Assistant on line test. i could take it from anywhere as long as i had it submitted within the two weeks.it is basically an IQ test and a test on Microsoft skills.

Interview Questions

• 2-hour test on basic Microsoft office skills, working style, interest, strengths and weaknesses and future goals   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Madison, WI) in October 2015.

Interview

The IMF visit the campus to do the interview. First they asked me to tell them about my job market paper. Then they asked me a lot of policy questions related to or not related to my job market paper. After that, they will do a panel interview in Washington DC. The people are very friendly.

Interview Questions

• First they asked me to tell them about my job market paper. Then they asked me a lot of policy questions related to or not related to my job market paper. They also asked me about recent events in the European Union and in China.   Answer Question

Economist Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

IMF contacted my department for a list of applicants for this position. I have applied to their online system and had the chance for a campus interview. Prior to the interview two economists gave a presentation about the IMF and the position. They asked about my research and why I have applied for this position. It was a pleasant experience and both of the interviewers were polite and nice people.

Training Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a pre-recorded interview that lasted approximatively 15 minutes or so. HR provided a link with instructions how to conduct the interview. You get the plenty of time to practice and get comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions

• What are the most common challenges when delivering a training program in a multinational organization? What tools do you use/apply to develop a training program?   Answer Question

Accounting Assistant Interview

Interview

Very Normal Interview. I was not the one they were looking for and they were not the one i was looking for. I would have declined even if I had the offer, No sour grapes here. They were very straight forward in telling me there is no growth because their employee turn over is very low to non existent.