IMF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IMF Interview Questions

Updated Jan 25, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

After a campus interview, I was invited for a panel interview in the DC HQ. This consists of a written test and an interview with senior IMF economists and one person from HR. The interview is based on hypothetical policy problems in open-economy macro. So are questions on exchange rate policy, capital flows, fiscal policy etc. They will seldom debate what you say. They just take notes.

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

Good. Normal. Asked me a lot about macroeconomics to make sure I knew it. Also, since I was an internal candidate from a contractor role, it was probably easier because they already knew me and knew what I could do for them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated a little. Was fine.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interview and an excel test. The first round was with one HR representative, one RA and someone else. The second round was with the HR person and the division chief. The whole process was very fast. I think it's because they are in urgent need of someone.

Interview Questions

• Most behavioral questions and experience with data management   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMF in March 2016.

Interview

A HR called me on Skype and the interview lasted for about 20 minutes. The HR started with a brief introduction of himself and then asked what I write for my dissertation. I talked briefly in plain english as best as I can. Then I was asked the policy implication of my work. The last part of the interview involved several behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain what your research is and the policy implication?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you deal with conflicts   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

It was very conversational. All behavioral questions. Interviewer clearly wanted to get to know if I can manage time well and follow instructions. We figured out my schedule for work together. Overall it was a great and friendly interview. Got the offer a week after.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

An senior economist called to ask some general economic questions of his interests and of interests to IMF. You first have time to describe your research, and then mention some policy implications. After that, you need answer some policy related questions. In the end, questions are about personalities and how to work in an environment valuing collaboration.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied on line and was contacted by HR with a link for the staff Assistant on line test. i could take it from anywhere as long as i had it submitted within the two weeks.it is basically an IQ test and a test on Microsoft skills.

Interview Questions

• 2-hour test on basic Microsoft office skills, working style, interest, strengths and weaknesses and future goals   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Madison, WI) in October 2015.

Interview

The IMF visit the campus to do the interview. First they asked me to tell them about my job market paper. Then they asked me a lot of policy questions related to or not related to my job market paper. After that, they will do a panel interview in Washington DC. The people are very friendly.

Interview Questions

• First they asked me to tell them about my job market paper. Then they asked me a lot of policy questions related to or not related to my job market paper. They also asked me about recent events in the European Union and in China.   Answer Question

Economist Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

IMF contacted my department for a list of applicants for this position. I have applied to their online system and had the chance for a campus interview. Prior to the interview two economists gave a presentation about the IMF and the position. They asked about my research and why I have applied for this position. It was a pleasant experience and both of the interviewers were polite and nice people.

Accounting Assistant Interview

Interview

Very Normal Interview. I was not the one they were looking for and they were not the one i was looking for. I would have declined even if I had the offer, No sour grapes here. They were very straight forward in telling me there is no growth because their employee turn over is very low to non existent.