IMF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 14, 2017

3.1

66 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was sent an online test regarding my personality and computer skills. Once I passed this test my application was available to all departments. I was contacted about a week later and an interview was set up for the next week. The interview was primarily a personality test.

Interview Questions

• You and a colleague are responsible for completing tasks. Your colleague is constantly taking breaks and the work doesn't get finished. What would you do?   Answer Question
    • Your colleague is overbearing and tries to micromanage your work. How would you handle this?   Answer Question
    • Talk about one weakness and two strengths you possess   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email stating I was qualified but needed to take a skills assessment test online which tested my basic Microsoft office skills including excel functions and advanced word operations such as mail merge. I was then contacted maybe two or three weeks later to set an interview. The interview was with a panel, four individuals from the department that I was a candidate for. They asked about my qualifications and experience and how it related to the role of a Staff Assistant at the IMF. A week and a half later they contacted me asking for information on three references. I was then called and conditionally offered a position about 3 days after the initial reference check. I say conditionally because they still must conduct a background check and an additional reference verification for three more references as well before the offer becomes finalized.

Interview Questions

• How are you with time management?   Answer Question
    • How well do you know advanced functions on word/excel such as formatting documents?   Answer Question
    • Elaborate on your experience in office administration.   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online. I first had a phone interview question were as expected mostly related to the CV and some contemporary economic questions. I got short listed and went to DC for the panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your research paper and its policy implications in 5 min   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I went through two rounds of interviews for an IT business analyst position.

First round was with two interviewers on a conference call for an hour. I felt the interview was kind of weird (from my gut feeling) and the conference call format didn’t help – the two interviewers didn’t seem quite in sync with each other. The questions were pretty thorough – they ask a lot about your past experience and the role you played. They also asked other questions – like what was the average length of user stories I’ve written, how many user stories I’ve written, how many projects I’ve worked on, etc. They also asked for samples of past work.

Second round interview was in person in Washington, DC for 1.5 hours with two interviewers in the same room. The interview started late because their previous interview ran over. It was a mix of past experience and scenario-based questions, but primarily scenario based. Some scenarios revolved around what a typical BA faces on a daily basis (if you’ve been a BA for any substantial length of time, these should be easy), but some scenarios were a little weird – they seemed to be testing whether you understood what you would be doing at IMF. For these scenarios, I had to make a lot of assumptions about how IMF operates and how a BA might fit into that assumed operational structure. Fair or not, I drew a lot of conclusions on what it would be like to work at IMF based on these scenarios. Instead of providing past work examples, which I didn’t have, I offered to work through example problems of the IMF’s choosing on their whiteboard, but they declined.

I never heard back from the IMF on a decision, but given the length of time since the interviews I’m going to assume I’m not getting an offer.

Overall, the interview process gave me a very negative impression of the IMF (at least the IT department). My impression was that you would be on your own with little to no help from the other members of the team and under pressure to get up to speed quickly, including learning brand new software packages. I was never able to get a straight answer about the number of hours/week expected for this position.

Interview Questions

• Given scenario X, what is the BA's role in the scenario?   1 Answer
    • Given scenario X, what would you do (or what have you done in the past)?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward, I filled out an online application, completed an online skills assessment, and was invited to an in-person panel interview (3 people), all within 6 days.

Interview Questions

• I was asked primarily about my administrative experience and cultural competency.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

After a campus interview, I was invited for a panel interview in the DC HQ. This consists of a written test and an interview with senior IMF economists and one person from HR. The interview is based on hypothetical policy problems in open-economy macro. So are questions on exchange rate policy, capital flows, fiscal policy etc. They will seldom debate what you say. They just take notes.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

The first round is sending CV. The second round, my boss met me and did a 20 minutes interview. She also asks for my previous employer's reference letter ( just a short email). The last step is a STATA test which I need to complete a certain task given by my boss within a time limit.

Interview Questions

• What's your previous research experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied and I had to do an online skills test to be in the pool of pre-selected candidates. 4 weeks later I was called for an interview. The interview had a panel of 3 people. They all asked questions. It was in English. After this, they called me 1 week later to let me know that I had been selected.

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

Good. Normal. Asked me a lot about macroeconomics to make sure I knew it. Also, since I was an internal candidate from a contractor role, it was probably easier because they already knew me and knew what I could do for them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated a little. Was fine.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interview and an excel test. The first round was with one HR representative, one RA and someone else. The second round was with the HR person and the division chief. The whole process was very fast. I think it's because they are in urgent need of someone.

Interview Questions

• Most behavioral questions and experience with data management   Answer Question