IMF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 15, 2017

3.1

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interview and an excel test. The first round was with one HR representative, one RA and someone else. The second round was with the HR person and the division chief. The whole process was very fast. I think it's because they are in urgent need of someone.

Interview Questions

• Most behavioral questions and experience with data management   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMF in March 2016.

Interview

A HR called me on Skype and the interview lasted for about 20 minutes. The HR started with a brief introduction of himself and then asked what I write for my dissertation. I talked briefly in plain english as best as I can. Then I was asked the policy implication of my work. The last part of the interview involved several behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain what your research is and the policy implication?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you deal with conflicts   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in January 2016.

Interview

It was very conversational. All behavioral questions. Interviewer clearly wanted to get to know if I can manage time well and follow instructions. We figured out my schedule for work together. Overall it was a great and friendly interview. Got the offer a week after.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

An senior economist called to ask some general economic questions of his interests and of interests to IMF. You first have time to describe your research, and then mention some policy implications. After that, you need answer some policy related questions. In the end, questions are about personalities and how to work in an environment valuing collaboration.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied on line and was contacted by HR with a link for the staff Assistant on line test. i could take it from anywhere as long as i had it submitted within the two weeks.it is basically an IQ test and a test on Microsoft skills.

Interview Questions

• 2-hour test on basic Microsoft office skills, working style, interest, strengths and weaknesses and future goals   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Madison, WI) in October 2015.

Interview

The IMF visit the campus to do the interview. First they asked me to tell them about my job market paper. Then they asked me a lot of policy questions related to or not related to my job market paper. After that, they will do a panel interview in Washington DC. The people are very friendly.

Interview Questions

• First they asked me to tell them about my job market paper. Then they asked me a lot of policy questions related to or not related to my job market paper. They also asked me about recent events in the European Union and in China.   Answer Question

Economist Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

IMF contacted my department for a list of applicants for this position. I have applied to their online system and had the chance for a campus interview. Prior to the interview two economists gave a presentation about the IMF and the position. They asked about my research and why I have applied for this position. It was a pleasant experience and both of the interviewers were polite and nice people.

Accounting Assistant Interview

Interview

Very Normal Interview. I was not the one they were looking for and they were not the one i was looking for. I would have declined even if I had the offer, No sour grapes here. They were very straight forward in telling me there is no growth because their employee turn over is very low to non existent.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Received an invitation to interview 3 months after the job application. I was interviewed by 4 people. Questions were primarily on how you handle situations and some basic economic and financial concepts. I particularly liked the feedback they gave me right after I answered some of the questions. It took another month after the interview to get a response.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if A asked you to clean the data and B asked you to find the real interest rate of a country, and both of them want the things done by tomorrow?   Answer Question

Senior Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

This has been one of the most drawn out, long and tedious application processes I've ever encountered. The entire process from application to getting an answer took 4 months. First, I applied online and did not hear back for one month. There are 4 big hoops to jump through just to get to an in person interview:

1. Webcam recorded interview
    2. Phone DDI assessment
    3. 100 question behavior assessment
    4. Writing assessment
    5. In person panel interview in DC

Webcam interview: 9 questions are given over a website and you only get about 30-60 seconds to reply to each question. You cannot view the questions in advance and you only have 1 shot at answering the question. If you mess up, you cannot redo.

Phone DDI assessment: A 3rd party calls you and talks to you for an hour. The first half hour is a role playing scenario for which they only give you 5 minutes to prepare. I found this incredibly stressful and the scenarios have little to nothing to do with the actual position advertised. The second half hour the administrator asks you questions based on your professional experiences and they want you to answer in the STAR format: situation, task, action, result.

Behavioral assessment: a very long list of questions and how you would respond, in a multiple choice format.

Writing assessment: You are given two memos which you need to edit using track changes.

In-person panel interview: You are flown to DC for a 4 person panel interview. The interview is incredibly intense. You are asked 12 questions in only 1 hour and each question may have 2 or 3 parts. No one gives you a glass of water or gives you a break from the questions. Bring a notebook and a pen because some of the questions are complicated.
    Questions asked: (I don't remember all of them)

1. Describe a time when you made a unilateral decision in a crisis, the circumstances, were you 2nd guessed, by whom and how you responded.

2. How do you give security advice to non-security professionals?

3. 30% of the IMF staff is female. What travel advice do you have for them?

4. Describe a time when you took someone under your wing and what did you do?

5. How do you overcome a skill deficiency?

6. How do you manage your time, especially for time sensitive projects?

7. What is your greatest skill as a supervisor?

8. Describe a time when you lead a team during a crisis. What was the situation and what did you do? What was the outcome?

After my in person panel interview, I heard nothing for 4 weeks. After a month, I sent an email to the HR representative and politely asked for an updated timeline. No answer. A few days later, I received a generic email stating that I wasn't picked for the position.

Overall, I would not recommend anyone I know to apply to any organization in the World Bank Group again. The process is incredibly stressful and anxious. I had to take time off from work to complete their many time consuming assessments and fly to DC. The HR is very demanding and doesn't give you much time to complete their assessments (completely disregarding the fact that some of us have full time jobs to complete at the same time). Then after the final round interview, they drop off the face of the earth and ignore you and pretend you never existed. I strongly believe that if I had not sent an email asking for an update, they would not have informed me of my rejection until another month later or possibly, never. I am disappointed that the Fund failed to convey their decision in such an untimely manner.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you lead a team during a crisis. What was the situation and what did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question