IMF Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 9, 2017

3.1

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

The first round is sending CV. The second round, my boss met me and did a 20 minutes interview. She also asks for my previous employer's reference letter ( just a short email). The last step is a STATA test which I need to complete a certain task given by my boss within a time limit.

Interview Questions

• What's your previous research experience?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for IMF

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Two rounds of interview and an excel test. The first round was with one HR representative, one RA and someone else. The second round was with the HR person and the division chief. The whole process was very fast. I think it's because they are in urgent need of someone.

Interview Questions

• Most behavioral questions and experience with data management   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Received an invitation to interview 3 months after the job application. I was interviewed by 4 people. Questions were primarily on how you handle situations and some basic economic and financial concepts. I particularly liked the feedback they gave me right after I answered some of the questions. It took another month after the interview to get a response.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if A asked you to clean the data and B asked you to find the real interest rate of a country, and both of them want the things done by tomorrow?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Three phone interviews. The mix between behavioral and technical questions was about 50/50. On the technical side, it is important to be good at excel, econometrics (stata, eviews, and python are key programming languages). Showing macroeconomics intuition is also paramount.

On the behavioral side, being willing to go the extra mile to ensure data quality and being a person who is ready to work in a multinational environment. This last one is very important.

Interview Questions

• If you have various competing requests, all for first thing tomorrow, how do you proceed?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at IMF in September 2014.

Interview

Was initially called in the afternoon by the HR department asking if I would be free the following afternoon for a telephonic interview. This was in response to the generic online application. I complied and was interviewed, which lasted about 20 minutes. it was a panel interview comprising 3 members of the team including the Director and Assistant Director. They asked me questions regarding my interests. They were able to gauge that I was intellectually interested in the line of work they work in. By now, I did not know what the department was. They also asked me questions based on my coursework, and asked me what I learnt in the different courses, what sort of macroeconmic research skills I had gained in my studies. This interview was followed up with an in person panel interview the following week. Later that week I was told that I was given an offer which I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how one could model and explain risk in stock market (?? - don't exactly remember) and understand its impact on the economy - e.g. on GDP growth. (or something like that - I don't exactly recall)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got an email and a call 2 months later. The interview was in DC , with panel composed of the division chief, the deputy division chief and senior hr.
    I was asked:
    Explain real interest rate and expected inflation rate
    Detailed questions on past research projects

Interview Questions

• not really unexpected/difficult :how do you handle multiple demands / pressure   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

After a screening phone interview, I was invited to meet up in person with the HR manager and 3 senior managers of the Department. The questions were all about your macroeconomy knowledge, then followed by an Excel test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in July 2012.

Interview

The process is quite "dark". The positions are not posted anywhere. I got the interview because a friend worked there and knew somebody in the department, even though I didn't fulfill the requirements.

Typical DC job hunting.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IMF (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

Candidate is first interviewed (normally 30 min to 1 hour) by a panel of economist and senior management, then, the candidate takes a test on math and macroeconomics using Excel.

Interview Questions

• If I was asked if I was knowledgeable with handing Haver, Bloomberg, Eviews, Stata, and Matlab   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at IMF.

Interview

The hiring process is straightforward and divided into three stepts: 1) resume and cover letter review: for one position they receive hundreds of applicants so it is very competitive; 2) technical test administration: only those short-listed will be administered a general test to assess their knowledge and technical skils; 3) final interview (panel): communication skills, general knowledge, technical knowledge, past esperience are scrutinized. They want to see how you come across, how articulatte and knowledgeable you are.