IRS Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IRS Customer Service Representative Interview Questions

2.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Brookhaven, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Brookhaven, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Hiring process was pretty easy! Phone test then a short interview. Asked general interview questions. Interview was one on one felt very comfortable . Whole hiring process took about 3-4 months. Training was about 16 weeks.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for IRS

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Austin, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

The initial application is the hardest part. I interviewed with the Department Head, but I think that was just coincidence. All Candidates are interviewed on the same day, the interview lasted about 15 minutes. Then you are given an imaginary taxpayer's information on a single page, given a little time to get familiar with it, and then you take a call from the "taxpayer".

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. You take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Portland, OR) in August 2011.

Interview

It technically was not a panel interview though be prepared for multiple interviewers. You would have an interviewer ask you 3 to 5 questions and then move on to another interviewer. There were a total of 4 interviewers. The questions were general skill and background questions. There was an emphasis placed on your ability to comply with procedures, law, confidentiality and difficult customers. None of the questions dealt with knowledge of tax law.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

One large group of people in single file processed in after notification via mail and telephone interview to proceed with in processing through HR. Then we went to the finger printing office, picture taking and security procedures. After we passed that and got my clearance an ID was made and given with report date of October 1, 2007.

Interview Questions

• How do feel about dealing with general public and answering technical question dealing with all kind of tax codes and confidential matter   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Andover, MA) in September 2010.

Interview

First there is an online test taken over the internet. If you score high enough on the test you will receive a call a couple weeks later. Then you come into the service center for a TAPS test. You will be given a packet with 4 possible people who might call you. Then you get one practice phone call followed by the real graded phone call. You need to use the information in front of you to answer the 3-4 questions that you will be asked. Everyone is given the same scenario for fairness in grading but they won't tell you that until after all interviewees are finished.

Interview Questions

• Questions range from: When will I get my refund? When will I have to make payments? What penalties might I face?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Memphis, TN) in January 2010.

Interview

It was short and simple.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA) in November 2010.

Interview

The hiring process took such a long time (4-6 months). To my surprise, there was no formal interview with a recruiter or manager probably due to the fact that they were hiring 200 people. Most communications were by email: invite to take customer service test, background check, etc.

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiations regarding the pay.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Long from the time of applying an getting a email response but they are reviewing shortening the process.

Interview Questions

• No real intense questions asked you just have to remember its the government an anything negative in your background can possible cause for the interview process to be stalled or stopped.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real negotiation your shift is already decided upon & skills test an resume pretty much determines your grade (pay). Clean background no felonys, no previous tax issue, & no previous employer disciplinary issues on file.

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

Easy interview, need to fulfill minimum requirements then take an online test to see how well you read and comprehend material, background checks and if bilingual need to pass a language proficiency test.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with screaming customers or stressful environments?   3 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation, this is government, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Ogden, UT) in October 2010.

Interview

Went very well . HR staff was very polite and worked fast to get it all done

Interview Questions

Negotiation

we were not given a chance to negotiate. we accepted the pay as outlined