IRS Internal Revenue Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IRS Internal Revenue Agent Interview Questions

2.8

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Interview

After application you get invited for assessment test via simulation. If you pass with Cat A then you get invited for interview. Panel interview about 45 minutes. And last is the offer. Just make sure you're honest and answer logically.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is much room for negotiation. Salary is based on GS grade scale and depending your qualifications between education and experience you get placed at a certain grade level.

Other Interview Reviews for IRS

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

the interview is a 3 panel interview, and each of the interviewers ask you a questions one by one and you have to respond. They take notes on your responses and they proceed to the next question. You have to impress most of them to get the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had shifting priorities, and how did you handle them?   Answer Question

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

The hiring process at the IRS is one big joke! After you complete an application and if you are deemed qualified, you are then invited to take this online assessment. The trick is that you get out of the assessment and you are not allowed to get back in to complete the assessment. Upon contacting the technical support hotline you get no support or assistance whatsoever. Don't even consider sending an email, they too ignore your question and provide an answer to a question that you didn't even ask. What a waste of taxpayer money!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

There were 5 in my group. After going through TSA like security to get into the building, we were escorted upstairs to a conference room. We were then called individually and escorted to our interviewers.
     I interviewed with 2 people. The interview consisted of 6 questions... mostly behavioral. After the six questions, I was allowed to ask questions and the interview became more conversational.

Interview Questions

• If a friend asked you to recommend an accountant, what would you tell him/her?   8 Answers

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS in June 2016.

Interview

First, complete online application. Second, wait for an online questionnaire/assessment. This typically takes 3 months or so. I suggest not to log off any time during the questionnaire/assessment process. Take your time during this part since there is no time limit. There will be a few accounting related questions. And there will be a few tax code related questions, nothing that should be too difficult if you have experience researching the tax code.

Interview Questions

• These are situational. Take time and care to review the supplemental info they provide you in hypothetical taxpayers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Brief. You will be asked situational questions to determine how you would react in certain uncomfortable scenarios. They will also ask about your organizational skills with questions about how you would handle multiple appointments or meetings, or pressing deadlines. Sometimes this can be done in as little as five questions or ten. Depends on the panel which is typically 2-3 managers. Depending on the time frame you will be interviewing with several other individuals meaning you will possibly have the opportunity to converse with other potential candidates before walking in. You will possibly also be given a pen and paper in which to write down any questions or thoughts that pop up during the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to an individual who is in tears and tells you they don't know how they will pay for the liability generated?   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO NEGOTIATION

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Little Rock, AR) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview process involves an online mock office scenario to see how you cam handle planning and scheduling which is a big part of the job. Once u make it through this round you are called for an in person interview which consists of standardized questions. My interview was very cold and formal.

Interview Questions

• If you are a revenue agent and a friend asks you for a recommendation of a good accountant how would you respond?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IRS (San Francisco, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Panel interview with two individuals > one was personable, one was not > only one interview prior to being offered employment > interview was limited to approximately one hour > questions concentrated on time management and how one would handle confrontation with regards to notifying a taxpayer about a tax assessment from the course of an audit

Interview Questions

• How would you handle explaining a large tax assessment to an individual who has emotionally broke down in front of you?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (San Antonio, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

internal

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Dallas, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

Interview was in two parts: first was a series of scenarios where I was asked what I would do in various situations (e.g., taxpayer ignores requests for appointments). These were behavioral/personality type questions clearly meant to screen applicants for job-suitability. Second was interview with territory manager where I was asked about why I wanted to work there.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a taxpayer repeatedly ignores your requests for a meeting?   1 Answer