IRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IRS Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2017

2.5

Economst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IRS in June 2012.

Interview

Very Difficult - 2 hours - tons of questions - very 482 specific - valuation driving - financial sector experience is a benefit. It was a 2hr interview - the people were very nice. You have no idea if you are answering correctly, b/c they do not push back much on your responses. These are very smart people that expect you to say the right thing the first time. No back peddling possible.

Revenue Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Monroe, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Monroe, LA) in May 2010.

Interview

Very lengthy and detailed. Do not expect this process to be less than approx 6 months from application to offer. Background check is very lengthy and detailed, as to be expected. It included interviews with neighbors, friends and family and prior roommates or people who can verify prior residences.

Interview Questions

• Many difficult questions pertaining to situation scenarios and how to handle them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Revenue Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Seattle, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

It was a group interview, done by a panel of 3 supervisors/group managers. They ask a specific set of questions, some are harder, depending upon the candidate, or who they want to let in or promote. No hiring in the last 3 years, and none on the horizon. It is always hard when you are going up against the considered favorite.

Interview Questions

• I do not remember the hardest question I was asked as they all appeared to be difficult.   Answer Question

Individual Tax Advisory Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (San Diego, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

Detailed, they know all about you, do not lie, the IRS is a great place to work if you qualify. You must be clean but very clean, no bad marks, and you must not be disabled they will find out and let you go.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any bank accounts in another state? I did not comprehend until after my father's death, he had hidden accounts using my name to hide his money and I still have not found them. Yet the IRS knows where they are.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, but I wish I had not accepted the job, tough as nails with 85 case loads per month and no room for error.

Collections Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Seattle, WA) in June 2007.

Interview

Inteview process involved a presentation by IRS personnel regarding the position and the interviewing process. After the presentation, each candidate was interviewed in a private interview by two IRS personnel. The agents read from a list of questions. Questions typically began with "How would you reply to a taxpayer who said/did _____." After the interview, each candidate participated in a mock telephone conversation in which the candidate played the role of an IRS collection agent and the caller played the role of an irate taxpayer.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond if the taxpayer said a lien on his property would prevent him from obtaining the money necessary to pay the taxes.   Answer Question
    • How would you respond if you saw a gun stored on top of the taxpayer's refrigerator.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview took well over two hours. It was given by a high level panel of executives. It included the "Where do you see yourself in five years question." You have to be prepared for the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you to tell your manager if something is wrong?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Somewhat disjointed; apparent confusion between the position applied for and the position for which I was interviewed, which were significantly different in terms of required experience and professional certifications desired. Very much a highly-regimented and scripted process, involving multiple parties; unclear as to which (if any) were actual decision makers. Presumably these qualities are characteristic of any governmental organization's hiring process, but this seemed unduly so.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience? Career objectives.   1 Answer

Not comfortable with organization structure, lines of authority. Expected greater clarity.

Tax Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Signed papers, then had a one on one interview weird questions nothing really about qualifications or skills. Afterwards asked questions guess I didn't ask enough questions..then was told I would hear back in two weeks knew then the job was done.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to tell someone something difficult?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

One large group of people in single file processed in after notification via mail and telephone interview to proceed with in processing through HR. Then we went to the finger printing office, picture taking and security procedures. After we passed that and got my clearance an ID was made and given with report date of October 1, 2007.

Interview Questions

• How do feel about dealing with general public and answering technical question dealing with all kind of tax codes and confidential matter   1 Answer

Senior Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

It was a quick 30 minute phone interview. The interviewers were managers at the IRS. They mostly asked me how to value different things, like houses or drugs. They were asking from a pre-defined list of questions, and they all took turns. Nothing was too difficult, and it was promptly over in 30 minutes. I did not receive a call back from several months, but I got the offer.