IRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 14, 2017

2.5

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview took well over two hours. It was given by a high level panel of executives. It included the "Where do you see yourself in five years question." You have to be prepared for the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

I completed the application in July few weeks later took the online assessment few weeks later received a tentative offer and had to complete some forms online a few days later went to get finger prints taken and finally a few weeks after received a firm offer in October. I never did a phone or in person interview.

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was never actuall individually interviewed, only JSAP tested and Eqip evaluated, and recieved a Firm offer letter within 6 months of my application. Process in its entirety was extremely simple just need to be patient and fair warning don't quit your job during or at any point in this process!

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Memphis, TN) in October 2016.

Interview

very basic no real interview process you basically fill it out on line do a few test and then they call you back when you have passed do a long background check on you and then they will give you a call back when they are ready for you

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Somewhat disjointed; apparent confusion between the position applied for and the position for which I was interviewed, which were significantly different in terms of required experience and professional certifications desired. Very much a highly-regimented and scripted process, involving multiple parties; unclear as to which (if any) were actual decision makers. Presumably these qualities are characteristic of any governmental organization's hiring process, but this seemed unduly so.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience? Career objectives.   1 Answer

Not comfortable with organization structure, lines of authority. Expected greater clarity.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online - USAJOBS. A month later I received a call from HR asking if I was still interested and inviting me to their offices for a panel interview. The interview was simple, general questions about myself, career path and professional experience.

Interview Questions

I declined the offer because the pay and grade was a joke... like a 40% pay cut from what I make now.

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

The hiring process at the IRS is one big joke! After you complete an application and if you are deemed qualified, you are then invited to take this online assessment. The trick is that you get out of the assessment and you are not allowed to get back in to complete the assessment. Upon contacting the technical support hotline you get no support or assistance whatsoever. Don't even consider sending an email, they too ignore your question and provide an answer to a question that you didn't even ask. What a waste of taxpayer money!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

There were 5 in my group. After going through TSA like security to get into the building, we were escorted upstairs to a conference room. We were then called individually and escorted to our interviewers.
     I interviewed with 2 people. The interview consisted of 6 questions... mostly behavioral. After the six questions, I was allowed to ask questions and the interview became more conversational.

Interview Questions

• If a friend asked you to recommend an accountant, what would you tell him/her?   8 Answers

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS in June 2016.

Interview

First, complete online application. Second, wait for an online questionnaire/assessment. This typically takes 3 months or so. I suggest not to log off any time during the questionnaire/assessment process. Take your time during this part since there is no time limit. There will be a few accounting related questions. And there will be a few tax code related questions, nothing that should be too difficult if you have experience researching the tax code.

Interview Questions

• These are situational. Take time and care to review the supplemental info they provide you in hypothetical taxpayers.   1 Answer

Audit Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Phone call originally to set up an interview. I was told that when the actual phone interview happened there would be about 4 or 5 people on the call and they could not give me any further information regarding the interview until it was happening. They called a half hour earlier and said they knew they were calling earlier and asked if it was ok or did they need to call back. I was okay with it.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions such as have you ever been put in a particular situation and how did you resolve it. Some of the situations were a disgruntled customer, a uncooperative co worker, a manager or direct authority figure etc.   Answer Question