IRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

IRS Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2017

2.5

Seasonal Data Transcriber Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

The application process wasn't too difficult and there were no interviews, but session times were not very flexible and HR responses were slow and unhelpful at times. The on-site job offer session was scheduled over the holidays and couldn't be rescheduled, unlike an earlier session. A phone call with an offer was mentioned at the time, but a later follow-up with HR revealed that all positions have already been filled.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I fit certain aspects of the position, including problem-solving and interaction with others.   Answer Question

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Applied online in Nov or Dec and an interview request in Feb. "Group interview" where you need to bring the proper ID, fill out several forms for HR, take a picture for your ID badge, and fingerprints are taken. There you will be given info on your orientation/start date, salary, shift choice, and some training info.

Tax Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

There was no formal interview. They learned a lot about me from just completing the secure security clearance and using my resume. Then on questions I answered about places I worked, on-site they questioned me further on the circumstances about a job I had quit from in the past. The interview process is easy: just need to pass an extensive background check: moral character, credit score, clean criminal record, interaction with people.

Interview Questions

• The clearance: past 5 years: everywhere worked, supervisors from each work location. Also, all times unemployed and who can verify this. Past 7 years: everywhere lived, and who can verify each one. References too. Then they actually contact every person you mentioned could verify you.   1 Answer

Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laguna Niguel, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Laguna Niguel, CA).

Interview

Wasn't too hard. I spoke to the manager of the office. She referred me to HR and then I came back to speak to her after I got referred by HR.

Claims Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Tampa, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview is over the phone. It takes about 15 minutes and then you are typically called with an assignment. The process if very casual. The process is very quick.

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Austin, TX).

Interview

Just went to the fingerprint session, they just checked the paperwork and no questions were asked. I went with a group of like 30 people for the one in Austin.

IAR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Waited about 4 months from the initial application. General interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. Lot of scenario questions. I met with the manager and her manager was on the phone. They used a list of questions and took notes.

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Cold, very regimented. It felt as though the interviewers were simply trying to get through the questionns. when I answered a question, one of the interviewers asked if I was in private industry. this was clearly obvious if my resume was read prior to.

Interview Questions

• What are your 3 greatest strengths?   1 Answer

Revenue Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied on Usajobs.gov, after the job posting closes you get periodic updates about your application status. Then finally you get an email update saying referred to the selecting official. After a few weeks I received and email requesting an interview with time and place already offered. After a week I got a call offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• You had to read a page and then the interviewer asked 3 questions and it was a phone interview. I remember one question. If a cash payment came into the office without the taxpayers social security number on it and a coworker says the cash is for their taxpayer what would you do with it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is not negotiation everyone receives the same pay

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Panel interview with 3 people. They have a set of questions (about 8 I think) that they ask every candidate. Some of the questions were expected- what would you do if a customer was angry etc. Some were a bit vague, I don't remember the specific question but I remember thinking that it was very vague and I wasn't sure what answer they were looking for. The 3 people on the panel were unfriendly and really didn't make you feel like they were listening/cared/wanted to be there.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your supervisor noticed a mistake in your work.   Answer Question