IRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 17, 2018

2.5

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

There were 5 in my group. After going through TSA like security to get into the building, we were escorted upstairs to a conference room. We were then called individually and escorted to our interviewers.
     I interviewed with 2 people. The interview consisted of 6 questions... mostly behavioral. After the six questions, I was allowed to ask questions and the interview became more conversational.

Interview Questions

• If a friend asked you to recommend an accountant, what would you tell him/her?   8 Answers

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS in June 2016.

Interview

First, complete online application. Second, wait for an online questionnaire/assessment. This typically takes 3 months or so. I suggest not to log off any time during the questionnaire/assessment process. Take your time during this part since there is no time limit. There will be a few accounting related questions. And there will be a few tax code related questions, nothing that should be too difficult if you have experience researching the tax code.

Interview Questions

• These are situational. Take time and care to review the supplemental info they provide you in hypothetical taxpayers.   1 Answer

Audit Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Phone call originally to set up an interview. I was told that when the actual phone interview happened there would be about 4 or 5 people on the call and they could not give me any further information regarding the interview until it was happening. They called a half hour earlier and said they knew they were calling earlier and asked if it was ok or did they need to call back. I was okay with it.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions such as have you ever been put in a particular situation and how did you resolve it. Some of the situations were a disgruntled customer, a uncooperative co worker, a manager or direct authority figure etc.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

The overall process took a few months. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 supervisors. The interview consisted of job-specific scenario questions. From my understanding they are focused on how you can handle various circumstances of the position if you were to be accepted. Although the wait until you are pulled into the interview is long, the interview itself was short.

Interview Questions

• How do you respond to criticism?   1 Answer

Interview

Applied on USAjobs.gov. A few weeks later received a call to do an interview and testing. The interview consisted of two people. A manager and a collection rep. After interview was a call simulation and computer test. If you passed the test then you were invited for FBI fingerprinting and background checks.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handle conflicts with an angry customer?   Answer Question

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO) in March 2016.

Interview

Good interview process. Short and sweet. Just waited to go through paper work with management, then waited for them to call us back for a job offer. It took them a few weeks to call us back, then we started orientation.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this job? What kind of work experience do you have?   Answer Question

Tax Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Signed papers, then had a one on one interview weird questions nothing really about qualifications or skills. Afterwards asked questions guess I didn't ask enough questions..then was told I would hear back in two weeks knew then the job was done.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to tell someone something difficult?   Answer Question

Seasonal Data Transcriber Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

The application process wasn't too difficult and there were no interviews, but session times were not very flexible and HR responses were slow and unhelpful at times. The on-site job offer session was scheduled over the holidays and couldn't be rescheduled, unlike an earlier session. A phone call with an offer was mentioned at the time, but a later follow-up with HR revealed that all positions have already been filled.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I fit certain aspects of the position, including problem-solving and interaction with others.   Answer Question

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Applied online in Nov or Dec and an interview request in Feb. "Group interview" where you need to bring the proper ID, fill out several forms for HR, take a picture for your ID badge, and fingerprints are taken. There you will be given info on your orientation/start date, salary, shift choice, and some training info.

Tax Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

There was no formal interview. They learned a lot about me from just completing the secure security clearance and using my resume. Then on questions I answered about places I worked, on-site they questioned me further on the circumstances about a job I had quit from in the past. The interview process is easy: just need to pass an extensive background check: moral character, credit score, clean criminal record, interaction with people.

Interview Questions

• The clearance: past 5 years: everywhere worked, supervisors from each work location. Also, all times unemployed and who can verify this. Past 7 years: everywhere lived, and who can verify each one. References too. Then they actually contact every person you mentioned could verify you.   1 Answer