IRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.5

Revenue Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied on Usajobs.gov, after the job posting closes you get periodic updates about your application status. Then finally you get an email update saying referred to the selecting official. After a few weeks I received and email requesting an interview with time and place already offered. After a week I got a call offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• You had to read a page and then the interviewer asked 3 questions and it was a phone interview. I remember one question. If a cash payment came into the office without the taxpayers social security number on it and a coworker says the cash is for their taxpayer what would you do with it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is not negotiation everyone receives the same pay

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Panel interview with 3 people. They have a set of questions (about 8 I think) that they ask every candidate. Some of the questions were expected- what would you do if a customer was angry etc. Some were a bit vague, I don't remember the specific question but I remember thinking that it was very vague and I wasn't sure what answer they were looking for. The 3 people on the panel were unfriendly and really didn't make you feel like they were listening/cared/wanted to be there.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your supervisor noticed a mistake in your work.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

One large group of people in single file processed in after notification via mail and telephone interview to proceed with in processing through HR. Then we went to the finger printing office, picture taking and security procedures. After we passed that and got my clearance an ID was made and given with report date of October 1, 2007.

Interview Questions

• How do feel about dealing with general public and answering technical question dealing with all kind of tax codes and confidential matter   1 Answer

First Year Tax Attorney Chief Counsel Honors Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2015.

Interview

Very informal and they were very nice! They asked me a lot about my education background and my internship experience with the IRS in the past. I wasn't asked about any real tax law related issues, which I was stressed about knowing prior to the interview. They did ask about my hobby's and personal life which I felt was very warm and comforting and made it seem more informal.

Interview Questions

• Nothing in depth tax related at all! They asked me about my experience with tax law and why I chose tax law.   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Phila, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

Brief four question interview, in front of a 3 person group. Simple straightforward customer service scenarios and how you would respond. Then it was over as quickly as it began.Received a tentative offer two weeks later.

Seasonal Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Dallas, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied at the end of July, I skipped the JSAP assessment because I had already taken it previously. I was highly qualified (Cat A). I received a email to come in for a interview. I sat in front of three managers and was asked a series of 6 questions. Nothing hard just customer service oriented questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a irate customer?   1 Answer

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

Met with a group of SES level staff so they could better understand my skills & value to the IRS. Met with the CIO and then the Deputy CIO. Hired shortly after that.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with ITIL/ITSM.   1 Answer

Transfer Pricing Economist (Program Analyst) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a very interesting process in that almost all the present members of the program sat in on the interview and had questions they wanted answered. It was very heartening to see an organization involve its staff in selection of new colleagues. I was then interviewed by my direct boss as well as the head of the program.

Interview Questions

• One of the more diligent staff members gave me a hypothetical case of transfer pricing and wanted to know the correct markup a foreign based drug contact manufacturer should be seeking.   1 Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone screen followed by a panel interview in person. A lot of the interview focused on standards and hardening guides. It seemed pretty apparent that compliance was an issue across the board in a couple of areas. Overall it was pretty straight-forward. Some of the panel looked disinterested and didn't contribute very much. The multiple people seemed like more of a formality as I spend the majority of the time speaking with one gentleman.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in IT Operations and with developing IT documentation.   1 Answer

Interview

Rotating Panel Interview- Go to a station, answer a question, go to the next station; there were about 40 people interviewing in this fashion, and we went in groups of maybe 7 or 8 to rotate through the different interview stations.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone who is threatening suicide?   1 Answer