IRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 17, 2018

2.5

Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laguna Niguel, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Laguna Niguel, CA).

Interview

Wasn't too hard. I spoke to the manager of the office. She referred me to HR and then I came back to speak to her after I got referred by HR.

Claims Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Tampa, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview is over the phone. It takes about 15 minutes and then you are typically called with an assignment. The process if very casual. The process is very quick.

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Austin, TX).

Interview

Just went to the fingerprint session, they just checked the paperwork and no questions were asked. I went with a group of like 30 people for the one in Austin.

IAR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Waited about 4 months from the initial application. General interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. Lot of scenario questions. I met with the manager and her manager was on the phone. They used a list of questions and took notes.

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Cold, very regimented. It felt as though the interviewers were simply trying to get through the questionns. when I answered a question, one of the interviewers asked if I was in private industry. this was clearly obvious if my resume was read prior to.

Interview Questions

• What are your 3 greatest strengths?   1 Answer

Revenue Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Applied on Usajobs.gov, after the job posting closes you get periodic updates about your application status. Then finally you get an email update saying referred to the selecting official. After a few weeks I received and email requesting an interview with time and place already offered. After a week I got a call offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• You had to read a page and then the interviewer asked 3 questions and it was a phone interview. I remember one question. If a cash payment came into the office without the taxpayers social security number on it and a coworker says the cash is for their taxpayer what would you do with it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is not negotiation everyone receives the same pay

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Panel interview with 3 people. They have a set of questions (about 8 I think) that they ask every candidate. Some of the questions were expected- what would you do if a customer was angry etc. Some were a bit vague, I don't remember the specific question but I remember thinking that it was very vague and I wasn't sure what answer they were looking for. The 3 people on the panel were unfriendly and really didn't make you feel like they were listening/cared/wanted to be there.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your supervisor noticed a mistake in your work.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at IRS (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

One large group of people in single file processed in after notification via mail and telephone interview to proceed with in processing through HR. Then we went to the finger printing office, picture taking and security procedures. After we passed that and got my clearance an ID was made and given with report date of October 1, 2007.

Interview Questions

• How do feel about dealing with general public and answering technical question dealing with all kind of tax codes and confidential matter   1 Answer

First Year Tax Attorney Chief Counsel Honors Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2015.

Interview

Very informal and they were very nice! They asked me a lot about my education background and my internship experience with the IRS in the past. I wasn't asked about any real tax law related issues, which I was stressed about knowing prior to the interview. They did ask about my hobby's and personal life which I felt was very warm and comforting and made it seem more informal.

Interview Questions

• Nothing in depth tax related at all! They asked me about my experience with tax law and why I chose tax law.   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Phila, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

Brief four question interview, in front of a 3 person group. Simple straightforward customer service scenarios and how you would respond. Then it was over as quickly as it began.Received a tentative offer two weeks later.