IRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 27, 2017

2.5

Transfer Pricing Economist (Program Analyst) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a very interesting process in that almost all the present members of the program sat in on the interview and had questions they wanted answered. It was very heartening to see an organization involve its staff in selection of new colleagues. I was then interviewed by my direct boss as well as the head of the program.

Interview Questions

• One of the more diligent staff members gave me a hypothetical case of transfer pricing and wanted to know the correct markup a foreign based drug contact manufacturer should be seeking.   1 Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone screen followed by a panel interview in person. A lot of the interview focused on standards and hardening guides. It seemed pretty apparent that compliance was an issue across the board in a couple of areas. Overall it was pretty straight-forward. Some of the panel looked disinterested and didn't contribute very much. The multiple people seemed like more of a formality as I spend the majority of the time speaking with one gentleman.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in IT Operations and with developing IT documentation.   1 Answer

Interview

Rotating Panel Interview- Go to a station, answer a question, go to the next station; there were about 40 people interviewing in this fashion, and we went in groups of maybe 7 or 8 to rotate through the different interview stations.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with someone who is threatening suicide?   1 Answer

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at IRS (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Was phone screened and then asked for an on-site interview. After 30 minutes of speaking with three people, I was offered the position within a few days. Overall, everything was pretty smooth; the questions asked were nothing out of the ordinary and the difficulty was average.

Internal Revenue Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Brief. You will be asked situational questions to determine how you would react in certain uncomfortable scenarios. They will also ask about your organizational skills with questions about how you would handle multiple appointments or meetings, or pressing deadlines. Sometimes this can be done in as little as five questions or ten. Depends on the panel which is typically 2-3 managers. Depending on the time frame you will be interviewing with several other individuals meaning you will possibly have the opportunity to converse with other potential candidates before walking in. You will possibly also be given a pen and paper in which to write down any questions or thoughts that pop up during the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to an individual who is in tears and tells you they don't know how they will pay for the liability generated?   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO NEGOTIATION

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Portland, OR).

Interview

Had received a letter of acceptance after having group interview in which their was some general testing after that received letter in email. Appointment was at place where work was done. Instructor explained the job process and we took as a group tests at the end of the day. There were about 20 people in the room that day. Afterwards I did not see anyone from my group in the training so many were not offered the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation on pay.

Management & Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview was very smooth, since I was coming from another Federal agency. I was interviewed by my to-be supervisor.

I was complemented on the quality of my resume and was asked if I created it--I had.

Interview Questions

• Why did I change jobs so much over the course of five years in a single company?   1 Answer

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

I applied as a response to a flyer I saw at my University. I emailed the Rep and got a response back. I was instructed to take an online screening questionnaire that took forever and a day to complete. After that I was requested to come in for an interview with 3 people-2 in person and one on the phone. I thought the interview was okay but the questions didn't seem to match the position they were looking to fill. For example, I was applying for a student intern position but they were asking me questions that I only would have known if I had worked in tax before. This was the one time that I didn't mind behavioral questions because at least those make sense. Overall, they seemed to be nice people. I also had to complete a 30 minute timed essay.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about the F1120.   1 Answer

Seasonal Tax Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Austin, TX).

Interview

Easy job offer for local people. People received phone calls or correspondence for job offers without going through any interview, we only had to complete lengthy paperwork and prepared proper identification before reporting to work on the first day.

Mail Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview essentially was replicating the job application process that I had done online. We specified what positions we preferred and what shifts that we wished to work. A government security check and and fingerprinting was part of the application process. There was a lag of about three weeks before the final job offer was presented and I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• They asked for fingerprints, which was a new experience!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Being a government job, the wage range is already preset as a GS level.

See What IRS Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Data Transcriber in Kansas City, MO

Pros: “Increase in starting pay/hr since worked bannister location, health benefits able to continue after you go in non work status your payment is deffered till you come back next season or take...”“Increase in starting pay/hr since worked bannister location, health benefits able to continue after you go in non work status your payment is deffered till you come back next season or take it out of your tax if you go into default, pay for bus option, you get you bundle of taxes of 50 or 100 enter info all day long so your work is there, allowed to wear head phones based on manager, if you dont get frustrated easily and open to learn there system very easy job and practice 10 key at home i'm self taught, thrift saving plan automatic contribution” – Full Review