IRS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 2, 2017

2.5

Mail Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

Interview essentially was replicating the job application process that I had done online. We specified what positions we preferred and what shifts that we wished to work. A government security check and and fingerprinting was part of the application process. There was a lag of about three weeks before the final job offer was presented and I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• They asked for fingerprints, which was a new experience!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Being a government job, the wage range is already preset as a GS level.

Data Transcriber Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Mass interview that was really just a background check. Had to show up to a government building at the right time, as it was done in groups. DO NOT forget a copy of your birth certificate! Took months to get cleared for a job that only lasted a few months.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with windows operating systems?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Very basic and simple interview. The questions were not compicated and I was interviewed by Contact Representative managers. Think the main point of the interview was to hear how my voice sounded and how I talked.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chamblee, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Chamblee, GA).

Interview

Tough and intrusive. Background search. Behavioral questions and Brain teaser type questions along personal border line questions all in group multiple questions fill in the black check off the box type questionnaire forms in a group of 45 people for several hours at a time. The training once hired was incredibly difficult as well.

Interview Questions

• What I expected out of the IRS within 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Grueling

Tax Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO) in November 2014.

Interview

You were hired simply from your application. There was no interview. If your application and back check were adequate then you were offer the job. It was more of a bulk hiring with no attemp to screen the applicants at all.

Interview Questions

• They hired you based on your application only. From looking at the group of people that they hired I would suggest that they desperately need a interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. You were simply offered the job with set pay and benefits.

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Kansas City, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process begins with completing an online application through usajobs.gov. The next step is an email will be submitted to applicant indicating eligibility status and request for any online assessments to be completed. If assessments are passed then applicant is contacted for an in-person phone assessment and interview. The phone assessment has to be passed before moving on to the interview which is an interview before a panel of three.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer that calls in yelling and upset about their tax liability?   Answer Question

Interview

I applied and did not receive a response for 2 months. Then I received notification via email that I made the best qualified list and I was invited to complete an online assessment. I completed an online interactive assessment and a month later I received a call for an interview. Two weeks after the interview I received notification I was hired and I would start 2 weeks after I received the call. From submitting the application to hiring it took about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• How well do you handle pressure with competing deadlines?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

Long process, the questions easy and to the point. It was over the phone and short. The response time was within a week. You will receive an offer through email and directed to the career connect site.

IRS Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online @ USAJOBS. 2 weeks later received an invitation to take an assessment. 2 Weeks later face to face interview. Interview was a panel interview with managers. Training was not organized and management was not helpful.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at IRS.

Interview

Applied the end of august. It's mid September and I just got offered position after having to complete an online assessment, tap assessment, and interview. Must pass back ground check and criminal record.

Interview Questions

• Questions were the same Genreal questions at any interview. How would you handle conflict? What would you so if you didn't know something? Etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is NO NEGOTIATION. Take it or leave it.