IRS Tax Examining Technician Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

1.5

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

Panel interview with 3 people. They have a set of questions (about 8 I think) that they ask every candidate. Some of the questions were expected- what would you do if a customer was angry etc. Some were a bit vague, I don't remember the specific question but I remember thinking that it was very vague and I wasn't sure what answer they were looking for. The 3 people on the panel were unfriendly and really didn't make you feel like they were listening/cared/wanted to be there.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your supervisor noticed a mistake in your work.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for IRS

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

The process is long and cumbersome through the internet. Feedback is good. They like resume and transcripts. A background investigation is done after you are hired. Sometimes no interview or one over the phone. Best employer HR for not getting caught up in phoney interview expectations. The color of your resume, suit you are wearing or staying up the night before practicing what HR people like to hear is joyfully not an issue.

Interview Questions

• They want very much detail that sometimes is very time consuming to look back and find. If you combine employment with company that changed it's name 3 times the background investigation will wonder why you did not list each individually. For years you are out of work they want exact dates.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. They go by opm wage tables.

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Memphis, TN) in March 2014.

Interview

Everything was done by the computer. Everything is done online and the question have to be taken to best of your ability to the job that you are applying for and position that you want depends on the answer you give through the questionnaire

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS in December 2012.

Interview

No interview. Based on answers to online questions and resume. Essentially, you need to answer that you are as flexible as possible -- what location, what shift (day, night or whatever the choices are. Apply for Seasonal positions if you can afford to do so. Often seasonal jobs get extended all year. Then just try to get good at the job. Does not take much to stand out. Then, apply to be an instructor in your department in advance of the next training class. That is a big help in moving forward.

Interview Questions

• No questions. Totally based on online question answers which are basically generic about your skills.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Fresno, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

Apply on line and they will send you Email When & Where to go. No inteview for seasonal.

Interview Questions

• When you apply on line they will give you questionaire to answered the best you can   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at IRS (Austin, TX) in December 2008.

Interview

Several hundred canidates for the position were brought into a large room and 5-10 reps came around and sat with each person verifing your work experience and asked a few questions. They had us all fill out a booklet, take a fingerprint then exit the building. Very boring, very long but everyone was very nice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You were given the ability to chose 3 shifts in preference order, most people were given 1 of there 3 choices. Salary was set by GS scale.