IRS Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 13, 2016

3.2

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview took well over two hours. It was given by a high level panel of executives. It included the "Where do you see yourself in five years question." You have to be prepared for the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you to tell your manager if something is wrong?   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online - USAJOBS. A month later I received a call from HR asking if I was still interested and inviting me to their offices for a panel interview. The interview was simple, general questions about myself, career path and professional experience.

Interview Questions

I declined the offer because the pay and grade was a joke... like a 40% pay cut from what I make now.

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

Met with a group of SES level staff so they could better understand my skills & value to the IRS. Met with the CIO and then the Deputy CIO. Hired shortly after that.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with ITIL/ITSM.   1 Answer

Transfer Pricing Economist (Program Analyst) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a very interesting process in that almost all the present members of the program sat in on the interview and had questions they wanted answered. It was very heartening to see an organization involve its staff in selection of new colleagues. I was then interviewed by my direct boss as well as the head of the program.

Interview Questions

• One of the more diligent staff members gave me a hypothetical case of transfer pricing and wanted to know the correct markup a foreign based drug contact manufacturer should be seeking.   1 Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone screen followed by a panel interview in person. A lot of the interview focused on standards and hardening guides. It seemed pretty apparent that compliance was an issue across the board in a couple of areas. Overall it was pretty straight-forward. Some of the panel looked disinterested and didn't contribute very much. The multiple people seemed like more of a formality as I spend the majority of the time speaking with one gentleman.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in IT Operations and with developing IT documentation.   1 Answer

Management & Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview was very smooth, since I was coming from another Federal agency. I was interviewed by my to-be supervisor.

I was complemented on the quality of my resume and was asked if I created it--I had.

Interview Questions

• Why did I change jobs so much over the course of five years in a single company?   1 Answer

Tax Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

The government interview process is pretty standardized. You submit your application generally through USAJobs for most agencies. Opm will screen the applications and send the best qualified to the agency. From there hiring managers will screen out more applicants and narrow the field further and select candidates for interviews. The interviews are standardized and conducted in form of a panel meaning you'll be in a room with 3 or more panelists asking questions. Everyone is asked the same set of questions. Some agencies may do this over the phone others may ask you to come in.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes you may be able to negotiate a higher pay grade or step but it'll depend on the office budget and what you were making at your last place.

Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied through USAJOBS about 3 months before actually getting an interview. USAJOBS kept me updated of the status of my application, and the HR people were not helpful at all - just not responsive. Eventually I got a status update that my application was being referred to a hiring official, and within a few weeks, they called me for an interview.

Interview Questions

• Here is a case study of situation X, please describe how you would approach this problem and what you would do?   Answer Question
    • Why should we choose you to work here?   Answer Question

Public Affairs Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC) in June 2010.

Interview

Submitted my information online for a fellowship program, received an email acknowledging that I made it to the next step of the process, received a phone call from the hiring manager to schedule the interview, 1 in-person interview with hiring manager and director

Interview Questions

• None. All questions were very standard. Went over resume and answered situational questions. Writing test required for the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Job was on GS scale, so no negotiation allowed.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at IRS (Washington, DC) in April 2008.

Interview

Panel interview

Interview Questions

• What databases have you worked with   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation possible