Interview Question

Software Engineer Interview

Apple

If I put you in a sealed room with a phone that had no dial tone, how would you fix it?

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

16 Answers

If you put me in a sealed room, I'd be more concerned about running out of air than I would be with getting a dial tone on a phone. I'd use the phone as a club to try to break out of the room before my air ran out. Then I'd use it on the interviewer who sealed me in the room.

Prioritize on

It is a cell phone. It does not have a dial tone. (My assumption is as good as the question's.)

EriK on

This is a great opportunity to use the "5 Whys" a Japanese approach to finding the root cause of (quality) problems: 1. Why ... does the phone need fixing (assuming no dial tone is an identified problem) Ans ... to talk to someone. 2. Why ... do you need to talk to someone? Ans ... to get help 3. Why ... do you need help? Ans ... to get something done 4. Why ... what needs to be done? Ans ... etc. 5. Why not ... see to THAT problem; the phone (if working) is only ONE tool to fix the ultimate problem. Now that you have a better idea of what the problem is, you can find another even better tool since you will have cut-out a less productive step fixing a phone that only marginally takes you forward. What interviewer wouldn't be impressed with so contemporary, thorough and cool approach? Afterall, the Japanese developed it. BTW if the room were sealed, you'd probably be dead and the interviewer elected to high government office.

Steve on

What are we trying to solve? What exactly is the problem? That you are in a locked room? That you have a phone? That you have no dial tone? Define the problem before you attempt to solve it.

RM on

It would most likely destroy any chance I'd have at getting a job at apple but I think I would be forced to say, " well if it's my iPhone with AT&T phone service, not having a dial tone or being able to make a phone call is normal and everything is working just as it should be! Next question???

Slick on

I think to be at Apple - one should think outside the box. Start by giving some creative answers: E.g. I try to troubleshoot the phone myself by 1) checking the plug in the wall; 2) making sure there is nothing wrong with the wire connecting the handle from the device itself; 3) try to see if there isn't supposed to be a dial tone originally by trying some internal extension or/and call an outside phone 4) then call somebody from the cellphone to ask for expert help. 5) using the internet on your phone could also be an opiton; 6) finally, find a way to exit the room - your problem is more that you are stuck in a room rather than trying to fix a dumb phone...

Jixavius on

Check to see if its plugged in... then start taking it apart.

Anonymous on

I totally agree with EriK

DawnD on

The phone has no dial-tone (this is a statement of fact in the question). The only way to get it fixed then, would be to get out of the room. So, I'd say that the solution here is to make your way out of the room - break the door, bang on it, etc.

AP in SF on

I'd use my phone to get some help getting out of that room.

Yannick on

I would check if there are wireless internet single, if there are I will send text messages or use Skype.

someone on

If I am in a sealed room, then the phone isn't going to have a signal, therefore no dial tone, regardless of whether or not it's a cell phone or home phone. So I fix the problem by trying to break out of the room the old fashioned way- by screaming for help.

Carolyn on

Stick the cord to the interviewers tongue. Takes 48Volts to power a ring tone, no 48V no ring tone. 48 Volts gives a pretty good jolt to the tongue, can’t feel it on dry skin, but any sweat moisture, etc would likely get it to a slight shock on your skin. have 48V it the phone. Well this ain't my ansqwer. read it somewhere and thought of sharing it with you all. well my answer would be: Gosh!! that's scary!! sealed in a room ..gasping for breath..and ya ghosts too!! :P

Snow9 on

If the phone were a cell phone, there is no dial tone in that. If its an old fashioned phone and the room is sealed then the real problem at hand is getting out of the room before the air runs out. Let go of the distraction and focus on the job at hand. Use the phone to your advantage. A broken phone may be used as a hammer to bang the door or break something. (This shows that you donot get distracted by things that donot need fixing. It also shows that you can use these distractions to your advantage)

Shrey Hatle on

Sir , I use iphone and I remember seeing a physical dial on it ... But I can find the dail on opening the phone app ..!! Ohh I fixed it ..

Gaurav on

Stick the cord to the interviewers tongue. Takes 48Volts to power a ring tone, no 48V no ring tone. 48 Volts gives a pretty good jolt to the tongue, can't feel it on dry skin, but any sweat moisture, etc would likely get it to a slight shock on your skin. have 48V it the phone.

DareN on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.