Dropbox Interview Question: If you woke up and had 2,000 ... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Dropbox Rotation Program Interview(Student Candidate)

If you woke up and had 2,000 unread emails and could only

answer 300 of them how would you choose which ones to answer?
Answer

Interview Answer

83 Answers

The automated pre-filtering I have setup should group the most important ones into key folders and then I just scan through the sender names and subject lines for the most critical ones first.

John on Mar 18, 2015

High importance, then filter by subject and get rid of threads except most recent, filter by sender for VIPs, then oldest to newest

Anonymous on Mar 18, 2015

jjfg jjkbb

Anonymous on Mar 19, 2015

In Order Received

Steve on Mar 21, 2015

Filter the junk, avoid the toxic people and focus on my priorities for the day.

Anonymous on Mar 23, 2015

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Depends on my role and what else I have to do that day

Ken on Apr 1, 2015

it depends if all 2000 of them require an answer. assuming all of them do, I would start from the last one from a known source. Usually the last ones show a string of emails from an early conversation. that might trim quite a few.

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

I'd start by getting off of unnecessary mailing lists because no one receives 2000 messages in a day and doesn't receive another 2000 again the next.

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

I would delete all 2000 of them and then move on to something important.

arthur on Apr 1, 2015

That's easy, the ones from my boss.

Matt on Apr 1, 2015

My boss, then the emails that are most impactful to the company's bottom line.

TK on Apr 1, 2015

My boss, then the emails that are most impactful to the company's bottom line.

TK on Apr 1, 2015

Will read most recent 300 from senders I recognize and feel like responding

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

Send the 2000 e-mails back to the corporate idiots who have nothing else to do but send e-mails all day to prove their worth.

Jack on Apr 1, 2015

Ignore them all and reply to the first 300 people that come to my office or call me and ask "Did you see my email?"

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

I'd do to my computer what Elvis did to his TV.

HT on Apr 2, 2015

Uu

Read all of them to see which 300 I can answer

Order of precedence:
VIPs
Time/goal critical
Pre-existing threads and shortest answers

AW on Apr 2, 2015

Delete my entire inbox and claim "There must be an issue with the server*" (I usually like saying mainframe here, because Hollywood.)

JRH on Apr 2, 2015

I would open NONE of them as they are clearly spam.

John on Apr 2, 2015

Delete them all and set auto-reply to say "For those that know my phone number, call me if it's important".

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Write a filter to throw out the spam from Glassdoor.com

Joe on Apr 2, 2015

The ones with nude photos of girls

Duh on Apr 2, 2015

So the question says that you could only answer 300 but it doesn't say that you could only read 300. So, I'd go though all 2000 and answer the ones that need my input to proceed with a task.

Mariam on Apr 2, 2015

Start with the folder where my pre-set filters place the emails that are sent directly to me and only to prioritizing based off sender. Starting with co-workers I am currently working with on an active project, followed by my boss; bottom line comes first. Then, using the same sender priorities, move on to messages addressed directly to myself and others as well. If it does not fit into one of those two queries then 90% of the time my work hours are better spent elsewhere so everything left would get moved into my "clutter" folder, to clean up my inbox, where they will be deleted the next day if I do not receive any follow ups about them.

Lucas on Apr 2, 2015

Well I think this is a pretty easy answer because it didn't say how many you can read, it only says how many to answer. Also can you take one email to reply to multiple unread emails? Like if 5 people had the same question to you.

Cart on Apr 2, 2015

Throw out about 1882, because they would be junk, send 92 to the proper departments, answer the other 26 accurately, and spend my free time working on the big project due in 2 days!

Lisa V on Apr 2, 2015

So... if I already have 2000 unread emails in my personal account, what does that say about my personal life vs work life?

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

The question does not say you cannot read all the emails. You can just answer to 300 of them. I would check them all and then pick 300 the most important ones.

Viktor on Apr 3, 2015

I would first group them according to sender and delete all except most recent ones, then reply to top 300 key (professionally and personal) saying 'I have had some serious email issues - please resend anything important' and the I would delete the lot. My ambition is to have an empty inbox by EOB each day.

BOJ on Apr 3, 2015

Am I going to be expecting 2000 emails a day? Are you expecting me to deal with 300 a day? What about the backlog? This job isn't for me thanks

Marv on Apr 3, 2015

When I receive 2000 emails in a day, it's usually a worm virus or an abuse of "reply to all" that one of my colleagues did by mistake creating huge number of spam. So I will delete the additional 1700 mails that this mistake has created and focus on the 300 mails I usually get every day. For those I will apply my usual rules: customer requests first, important personal deadlines second, urgent requests from my boss third and everything else comes next.

than on Apr 3, 2015

I would click on the Select All tool, then scan the whole list to see what I recognize and know needs responding to, deselect those, then delete all the rest.

Wintergirl on Apr 3, 2015

I would answer the 300 from senders who I could impact, had impact on me and/or I proactively generated.

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

Alphabetically, based on sender email address.

Anonymous on Apr 3, 2015

I use filters. read the important ones.

OC on Apr 3, 2015

Ones related to work, family, and bills.

Dee on Apr 3, 2015

Important ones will be answered , other ones will be either ignored or gone to the trash!

Anonymous on Apr 4, 2015

Good question actually. Batman is a tactician and is always measuring and calculating his battlefield. Spiderman is a risk taker that can actually pull off the unforeseen. Both are tenacious but Batman has far more years of experience on his side... Spiderman is still just a kid. Also Batman HAS taken down Superman so I would put my money on Batman.

Owen Rubel on Apr 4, 2015

The ones from Catwoman, who won the fight between spiderman and batman.

LOL on Apr 5, 2015

I’d never get that many so, I would know right away, some entity has gotten into my email account and caused problems. But, since I am on a Mac and have filters set up and restrict my personal and business email to those purposes (and humans only) and use a third, fourth, and fifth series of accounts for almost all other uses, to avoid junk email - it would just not happen. Indeed, in 14 years of using email, it never has.

Joe on Apr 5, 2015

Simply arrange by Sender's name. Look if there is any from my RM. Then look for the one from clients. And if these two take up the whole of 300 then I am done for the day. If not then rearrange again with Importance.

Amit Kumar Srivastava on Apr 5, 2015

Sort on sender and then date to limit the number of emails you will read. You know your most important senders and can assume that the most recent time times are most relevant.

Anonymous on Apr 6, 2015

filter by the VVIPs followed by VIPS and commoners

Aman on Apr 7, 2015

1. Set an autoresponse telling people how to escalate their needs if I don't get to them.
2. Add a filter to file all e-mails i have been CC'ed orBCC'ed
3. Sort by thread and file all but the most recent e-mails in the thread
4. Search the body of the e-mail for my name.
5. Address only the ones sent directly to me or reference me in the e-mail.

Karl on Apr 7, 2015

I would select the mails which contain "unsubscribe", move them to another folder and read the rest.

Alberto Viñuela on Apr 8, 2015

First filter to only show the emails of priority contacts (currently my boss, wife and mom). Handle those.

Ensure conversation threading is enabled, If required migrate the email to a client that supports that.

Then, after the priority email has been handled, process from most current email to last.

JamesR404 on Apr 8, 2015

I'd answer only 250 & use the remaining time to prioritise which 250

Vikram on Apr 9, 2015

eenie meenie miney mo!!

Had on Apr 9, 2015

Most important correspondence come thru 'snail mail'. My yahoo mail box was hacked several times and I've lost all mail- absolutely nothing horrible have happened.

Andrew Klim on Apr 9, 2015

I would sort by :
Customers
My boss
My bosses boss
My trusted advisors

Anonymous on Apr 10, 2015

I'm my experience, 20% of emails received require immediate action on my part, 30% are directed at me but don't require imediate action and the rest are FYI's. I would go through the emails directed at me first (where my name is not on the cc line) and determine which need imediate action, flag them accordingly and then get to it.

Anonymous on Apr 11, 2015

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Based on priority.
Addressed to me. Look at emails where my name is in To:

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

I would segregate them as:
1. From my immediate boss
2. High Important
3. Followup marked
4. Chain mails

Abhi on Apr 14, 2015

Delete any with the subject line that reads Urgent. That will probably take me down to 300.

Marc Tanner on Apr 14, 2015

Reply to all, "My mailbox has been corrupted, please email me if your item needs attention today", then filter accordingly.

Nomad on Apr 14, 2015

Choose the ones first from my boss. Then go through subjects to sort out priority.

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

Would quickly scan the last hundred, concentrate on priorities of the day and wait until i receive reminders for the really urgent and unsolved issues

Enrica on Apr 14, 2015

I'd hit delete on all 300. Anyone who wakes up to that many emails needs to find a new outlook on life.

Scotty k on Apr 14, 2015

I think the question is more , how can you consider that i have time for 300 emails only ?
is there an average time by email ?
The most important emails are the customers one , specially the one in priority. customer first !
For emergencies, my boss can join me also on the phone.

Jerome on Apr 15, 2015

I would review the stack and respond to the most important.

Patrick on Apr 15, 2015

First, I answer my job related questions, Then people who want to gain knowledge from me, Finally I reply my friends

vanathy on Apr 16, 2015

First I would be amazed at my ability to answer 300 of them (assuming you are talking about doing this in a day). Second I would answer the 300 most recent ones. I find that if people really have something they want they will email you again.

Brian on Apr 17, 2015

i would pick the ones that are the most important

Alicia D on Apr 27, 2015

I would first answer the mails with RE: in title. They're most waiting for a reply, probably. Then, filter and answer mails from known sources. Then sort by dateTime and answer rest (300- 'already answered') of last mails..

Alexey on May 6, 2015

Order of priority:
1.Addressed to me from boss
2. Copied to me by boss
3. Addressed to me
4. CCd to me

GaneshG on May 10, 2015

Filter if any of them were from you (interviewer) and answer them first.

1.2.3. on May 19, 2015

I'd hire my secretary and do other important stuff stuffs.

Shashwat Guragain on Jun 15, 2015

1st - 300th (priority)

Soheil on Jun 19, 2015

Filtering by sender, then by subject

Genti on Aug 26, 2015

automated pre-filtering to group the most important ones into key folders and have a quick look through for any other most important ones and then delegate the rest to a wonderful secretary or PA to sort through and send to the most relevant departments and personnel so that they could be dealt with in a timely and efficient fashion as well.

Michael Fisher on Sep 2, 2015

I would talk with my team to first see if they were able to address any of them, then move through the highest priority ones first. But at the end of that day, all emails should be looked at.

Anonymous on Sep 22, 2015

First I am delete unnecessary email Then after I am Search my work related important mail and then see other email if my email capacity not over

Harshit on Nov 25, 2015

Shift, Control, Alt and Delete.

Boxer on Dec 6, 2015

Launch as many applications I could on my computer, yank the ac cord, get up and leave, to go on and have a life.

Stephen on Feb 12, 2016

I'd first look for messages from people willing to help me transfer my money out of Nigeria. (http://www.snopes.com/fraud/advancefee/nigeria.asp)

The Nigerian Prince on Mar 9, 2016

I would send and email to my network admin and tell him I woke up to 2,000 emails... Please fix my spam filters!

Dennis on Mar 26, 2016

I would Answer 1st those from my boss and then those which were denoting to me alone, Then Last those denoting to me along with others.

Liveurownway on Mar 28, 2016

I hate reading emails. but mostly I'll read the most important ones or the one with the star either important sign on it

Amel on May 15, 2017

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.