Illumina Interview Questions in Cambridge, East of England, England | Glassdoor

Illumina Interview Questions in Cambridge, East of England, England

Updated Apr 24, 2017

Synthetic Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

An initial phone interview was followed by an on-site interview. The first part involved a presentation to the team on a chosen topic. The second part was a technical interview, which was followed by a lab tour and a chat with the HR recruiter. The presentation was attended by the whole team, while the technical section was led by the team leader and two senior scientists.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

After online submission of CV and cover letter immediately recieved email for their video interview. They only allow a short period of time in which to complete the video interview so it is best to get it done quickly. I had 5 questions, 3 were standard interview questions and 2 were job specific as a chemist. They were very quick to reply and offer me a place at the assessment day. The expenses for travel and accommodation for the assessment day are all paid for and well managed, the assessment day was very good fun and didn't feel like a job interview at all. Activities included describing how their technology works and building a bridge out of stationary. Over all the interview process was enjoyable although it would be challenging if you were unprepared by not knowing about their technology and the role you would be undertaking.

Interview Questions

• Explain DNA sequencing to someone who knows nothing about the subject.   Answer Question

Molecular Biology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Consisted of two phone interviews and an on-site interview. First phone interview was with a HR recruiter who made sure you knew what the company did and what you were signing up for. Second phone interview was with my prospective managers. This was a more technical interview where they asked me specifics about things like SBS and tried to gauge what lab experience I had. Finally, the onsite interview was again with my prospective managers, similar to the phone interview everything was more in depth as this was an hour long as opposed to 15 mins on the phone. Think in this interview they were also trying to tell if you would fit in well to their team and that your personality wouldn't clash with people you would be working with. Overall, was a quite chatty interview.