Illumina Product Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 1, 2017

3.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Product Engineer 1 position at Illumina. I was prompted to perform a digital video interview where I recorded myself responding to a set of 7 questions that appeared on screen. Each question had a minute and a half prep period, followed by a 4 minute answering period where i would record my response. Questions ranged from simple biological questions to questions about work experiences. I felt the questions were quite fair and easily answerable.

Interview Questions

• Describe the structure of from a high level DNA as a cartoonist might.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Illumina

Product Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina in November 2016.

Interview

Online video recording, asked 7 questions (with 3-5 minutes of preparation time in between). Received offer for a phone interview a week later. Questions ranged from typical behavioral questions to talking about the iAspire program and expanding upon high-stress situations that you have encountered.

Product Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online -- heard back about 2-4 weeks later for a phone interview. Phone interview lasted 45 minutes and included both behavioral and technical questions. Most questions focused on basic statistics and knowledge of DNA. For example, they asked about what average (mean) was, what standard deviation was, what a student t-test was. Then came the 'explain these to a 5 year old' questions. I was not ready for that. Explaining the concept of a mathematical average to a 5 year old is quite difficult when that question is completely unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Explain what 'mean (average)' means to a 5 year old.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (San Diego, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied online and heard back after 3 months. I had a phone interview scheduled for the next day. I was told I would be speaking with the HR manager but I actually spoke to the hiring manager. I was asked about my experience, why it was relevant. I was quizzed on basis statistics (explain mean, median, mode, sd, variance, distributions); basic biology (bonds in DNA, basic structure and properties of DNA), troubleshooting (microscopy, applications), windows OS questions, quality assurance questions.

The interview was quite difficult. I was not quizzed on anything that was their job profile. I got a call back within a week that they were taking candidates with more industrial experience forward.

Interview Questions

• If a program executed in seconds, what would you do to make it execute in millisecond.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Illumina.

Interview

Got a call from HR for a phone interview opportunity. Scheduled for about a week later.

A Hiring Manager called and asked some questions about previous experiences listed on the resume. Then began asking odd/basic level questions most likely to determine a fundamental understanding of the qualifications listed on resume; these questions were not very indicative of technical ability though and were very obviously picked or prepared from a list by HR.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain what an average is to a 5 year old without using mathematical terminology?   Answer Question