Imagination Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Imagination Technologies Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

3.4

Graduate ASIC Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Took an online test, which had some basic questions about digital design in multiple choice and 2 questions about low power design techniques which had a text area for the answer. The total time for the test was 40 minutes, i used approx 20 and used the rest to go back and re-check my answers. Got a couple wrong but passed it anyway.

After that I had a phone interview which lasted an hour and I was asked about my understanding of ImagTec, technical questions and motivation questions. They really pushed me to explain everything again and again as best I could. It was a very difficult interview and I was exhausted in the end, but felt I had done well and eventually passed to the next stage.

Then I was invited to a skype interview. The interview was very weird as they did not open their own webcam, and only wanted to see me. The connection was terrible, which they clearly blamed me for (I didn't argue but my internet was great, i tested it thoroughly, it was definitely on their end). Their voices were also very muffled so they called me on my cell to improve the quality. It was equally bad as they couldn't speak clearly.
    I struggled to make sense of their questions as neither of them were native speakers and as a result everything took more time than it would in a face-to-face interview. They also struggled to understand me as I am not a native speaker either, and they kept insisting I explain everything in detail even if I said I hadn't encountered some things.
    This interview was supposed to last two hours, instead they brushed me off in 59 minutes and said we would reschedule for the rest. The next time I heard from them they discontinued my application and claimed the interview was over and I hadn't understood correctly.

All in all it went great until the skype interview which was borderline hostile. Don't know what to make of it. I really wanted to do well as this position was so exciting for me. Maybe I should have rescheduled to get a better connection and better overall communication, but I didn't want to be rude and waste their time or antagonise them.

Interview Questions

• pipeline, fifo in registers/ram, hold/setup and how to correct violations, my undergraduate projects, Circuit with different clock frequencies, circuit with single frequency but clock skew and more.   Answer Question

Graduate RTL Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was first through telephone, where they asked me general questions about the job offer, such as why I was interested in the company. After that, a presential technical interview took place with questions such as how to design a 8b multiplier with 4b multiplier. After that, there was an interview with the HR team

Video Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in September 2013.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruitment agency, who after an initial talk sent me a set of online tests which I passed, I had a phone interview afterwards with the leader which I also passed, and a few days later I went to their offices for the final interview. I thought it was a very interesting place, the interviewers were extremely knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• Went really deep on a discussion of how to store state of a chess board, adding technical requirements along the way   Answer Question

Applications Specialist Hardware Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview. Was asked about the company, their products and customers and projects I have done and any placements I had done.

Made a presentation of a project I had done.

Was sent questions about the project in my presentation, about digital electronics and some customer related questions.

Face-to-face interview with a manager and another employee. Was asked about answers I gave to the questions they sent, then grilled about more technical stuff to do with graphics. The interview was all technical!!

Interview Questions

• How many points are there on the earth where you could travel one mile south, then one mile east, then one mile north and end up in the same spot you started?   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies in July 2012.

Interview

I had applied for the role of Test Engineer in Imagination through a recruiter. It involved a preliminary C test to assess my skills. The test was very tricky. The set had total of 30 questions. The worst part being that it had allocated fixed 3 minutes per question with no chance to review it back just in case you finish the test before hand. I think the questions were taken direct from some aptitude test papers. So, solve a couple of online test papers to assist you.

I rate this as very difficult as the assessment is an absolute mismatch for the role of Test Engineer. Ironically, when the job specification says - Proficiency in C would be desired not mandatory.
    I have not yet received the result but I am sure I have not cleared it.

Interview Questions

• Nature of questions was like - find error in code, fill in the blanks with the right statement, what is the output of the code, some questions on stdlib functions - stderr, strchr, one particular pbm on 3 dimensional array, ANSI C definition of - macro, string, #undef and lots of pointer examples   Answer Question

Leading Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in September 2011.

Interview

Phone screen included questions on how to implement floating point arithmetic, clock-domain crossing, ASIC design workflow. I thought I failed, but got called back for an in-person interview. At the in-person interview, I was quizzed on FIFO block diagrams, power saving modes, clock-domain crossing, VHDL code mistakes, then Python syntax and shallow copy problems. Overall quite intimidating and again I thought I didn't do that great.

This was one of the few in-person interviews where I really felt that I was still being intensely interviewed, instead of either a casual dialogue or the company taking the opportunity to show you their facility, great corporate culture, and try to recruit you to join their company. At ImgTec it was more like a pressure cooker, and then 'let's walk through the desk area' and 'here's the door'. Definitely didn't get that warm feeling that they wanted me or thought I'd be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would multiply together two floating point numbers. How many bits do you need to hold the result and what error conditions might occur?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate the salary up by 3k from 40k to 43k, primarily due to the limited data available on GlassDoor. All/most reviews stated that the payscale at IMG was below market conditions. Employment contract included a 2-month notice period which I unsuccessfully tried to get decreased to 1 month.

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Pune (India)).

Interview

It was on-campus interview. First test on Digital Logic Design principles. After this test 10-12 students were selected for further round. F2F interview with team leader and a senior design engineer. The interview lasted for an hour. After clearing this round, interview with the director. This interview consisted of fun puzzels and just get-to-know questions.

Graduate Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

I had an initial online test with simple general VLSI questions. In less than a week, I had two telephone interviews with one of the principal engineers of about 1 hour. In the first one we went through my CV and a second telephone interview with plenty of technical questions.
    In less than a week I was invited to a face-to-face interview with some principal engineers and the verification team lead.
    The process was very smooth and very supportive.

Interview Questions

• VLSI questions like: setup and hold violation, propagation delay, and pipelining.
      design an FSM from specifications. Multipliers   Answer Question

Graduate Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Had a telephone interview first. The interviewer asked me questions on projects I had done before based on my CV. This was followed by a number of technical questions about flip flops, timing delays, multiplication in binary etc.
    After 2 weeks i got an email from them inviting me for a face to face interview at KGL, which is in a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• Questions about previous projects. Technical questions which test your knowledge of digital electronics like flip flops, timing delays, multiplication etc   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kings Langley, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Kings Langley, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through an agency. They sent me a page of questions to answer. After three days, I received an email for an on-site interview in Kings Langley. The interviewer asked me a variety of coding questions as well as brain teasers. In the first part, there were some general questions (what is a pointer, polymorphism, the difference between stack and heap etc). Next, there were some coding questions such as calculate the number of 1's of a number, reverse a linked list, swap numbers with only two variables, some questions on pointers. Finally, they want from me to solve two brain teasers (fuse problem, 8 balls - 7 balls are the same , find the ball that weighs less with 3 measurements). I received a very positive feedback within 1 week.

The next stage was an HR phone interview. She asked me quite expected questions like why do you want for us, where do you see yourself in 5 years, strengths/weaknesses, projects, general background etc. After one week, I received an offer which I have accepted it.