Google Interview Question: Imagine that you are a PM at ... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Product Manager Interview

Imagine that you are a PM at [big software company], and

you are assigned to build [business process] software for [small business vertical]. How would you measure success?
Answer

Interview Answer

8 Answers

I got overwhelmed by diving into the complexity of this business process. Stay at a high level and abstract out the details for a later date.

Interview Candidate on Jan 28, 2015

I would rate success by 1 - how many customer bases/groups tried the program and kept on using the software. Secondly and most importantly, how many of the features the customers use and frequency of use. I say the latter is important because my opinion says ease of access and a great user interface make the best of anything.....

Anonymous on Feb 5, 2015

If by using the software product the business unit has gained anything, which in turn motivating them to bring more users to the software, is an indication that the probable purpose of making the very software is fullfilled.

Anonymous on Apr 23, 2016

A very simplistic answer is success is when I meet the goals I set for the product. however a more elaborate answer would::

Typically I would think that success should equate success for my stakeholders or my customers. lets breakdown who the stakeholders are in this process.

My Org/Company - products are built to further company goals so success should translate to goals of the company
> Revenue goals
> Acquisition goals

Buyers of my software - products should solve a problem for them (helping them design their process)
> Usage, Repeat purchase, NPS # of processes designed, # of complaints are all metrics to measure health of software use
> Qualitatively - through feedback etc one can get a sense of if the buyer feels value in our product and that's a key ingredient of success.

Team success
> at the end of the day your team is one that helps deliver on the product. the team could deliver on the product but then feel so burnt out or have a terrible experience that they may not want to work on the next iteration - although this does not contribute to product success it's not something
> other way to look at it is to see did we launch it in time within budget etc ?

Resellers
> if the products are offered by resellers, you can track their individual metrics as well.

---

From a financial perspective a measure of success can be

> are we tracking per the business plan ?
> what's our acquisition cost ?
> how much did we spend to build the product?

Operational perspective

> are we incurring more supply chain, servicing costs.

the key in my view is that success is not a single # - although one can always roll up to a # that can be a proxy for all others but an appreciation of how and what success means for everyone in the value chain is important to help answer the question what is success.

Acquisition, Activation, Retention, Referral, Revenue << framework is also a good way to think about answering this question

Rahul on May 27, 2016

This is a typical way of Google PM interview.

If you need to know how to structure your answers and what kind of format you will meet, you can try Rooftop Slushie that I found helpful. (rooftopslushie.com) Good luck!

Anonymous on May 21, 2019

Hello!

After successfully completing my interviews, I started at Google as a PM. Seeing that there were not many useful interview prep guides specific to Google, I’ve created a document & study guide that gives all the details about my experience, the questions I’ve been asked and their detailed answers. You can buy the e-book at: https://interviewjoy.com/services/interview-process-details/google-manager-interview-questions-answers/

I’ve sold this interview prep book to many Google Manager candidates already and received many 5 star reviews. The book proved to be very useful for all types of manager/account associate interviews at Google! You can see the reviews of my buyers at the bottom of the service detail page linked above.

The book will give you a clear advantage during your interviews. You’re welcome to buy it from the interviewjoy.com website.

Thanks and good luck with your interview process!

Alex

Alex on Jun 7, 2019

For those who are looking for tips for interviews at Google, try Rooftop Slushie – career advice from verified FAANG employees.

Rooftop Sluhsie:

i.e. Google Cloud TPM:

Anonymous on Jun 18, 2019

I think the key in generic questions like this is to be careful to cover the fundamentals, and to be familiar with all the followups so you're prepared for whatever they throw at you. Maybe do a mock interview with a Google Product Management expert on PrepTick to get a real-world answer? They give lots of guidance and pro tips on how to deal with this kind of stuff.

Anonymous on Jul 25, 2019

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.