Imperial College London Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2017

2.7

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

MSC Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial College London.

Interview

Kira video interview. You can practice for an unlimited time and then the actual interview. Give you 30 seconds to prepare and 1 minute to talk. The questions are relatively easy. Just practice with photobooth for some time and you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell us one of your skills you develop outside academic and professional lives   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Very easy. I had one Skype interview with 2 faculty and made a 10 minute presentation relating to the research idea. This was followed by 20 minutes of questions about the post, my previous experience, publications and questions about my resume.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I was invited for a 20-minute panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Would you accept this job if offered? What's your A-Level?   1 Answer

Centre Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Kensington, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial College London (South Kensington, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online on their website. Completed a long application form. The whole process was quick, less than 2 weeks. They were 3 people on the interview panel, they were polite but very distant.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your workload?
      Tell us about when you made a mistake?
      How do you keep data protected? Do you know what data protection means?
      Were you involved in events organisation? If yes, what did you do?
      How do you collect financial information?   Answer Question

Corporate Partnerships Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Kensington, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (South Kensington, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview lasted approximately 45 minutes. I was asked to present a 5 minute overview of potential opportunities for research collaboration within a relevant industrial sector of my choice.

PhD Hybrid Electrical/Chemical Propoulsion Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online on the university website,and i heard back 2 months later requesting a skype interview with the 2 Drs who would be taking the PhD, there where freindly and asked

Interview Questions

• Started with a difficult series of technical questions to do with plasma.   1 Answer
    • Series of soft skills questions designed to test if i fully understood what a PhD entailed and would be capable of carrying one through to the end. Three greatest strengths and then asked the weakest of those strenghts.   Answer Question

Assistant Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Required to fill in an application form that is a fairly standard template. I was shortlisted to interview stage and was advised that the interview would comprise of two tests and then a discussion afterwards. On arrival at the office I was taken to complete three tasks not the two that were mentioned in the interview. One was an excel task (budgets), the other two were related to external communications such as writing a press release.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and how will these contribute to the team?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Kensington, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London (South Kensington, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Process took 3+ months to get back to me. Went through 2 seperate interview: first was with a supervisor, second was with an interview panel. Though the first one went good, the interview panel did not seem to care and couldn't have got me out of the door quick enough! Thoroughly disappointed with the panel in the second interview, considering I spent time to travel to the campus.

Interview Questions

• The questions were irrelevant to the project I applied to   Answer Question

MSC Business Analytics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London in April 2017.

Interview

7 general questions using Kira Talent.6 of them were spoken and 1 written. 1 minute to answer the spoken ones and 5 for the written. The focus is more on applicants' character and accomplishments and not on technical questions.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Imperial College London in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process is scheduled over 2 days. First day is a panel interview, for which we are given a paper to read beforehand. They ask you to summarise the main points of the paper, some technical questions on it and to describe your research background. This is followed by a poster session in the afternoon where groups that have a position available present their current research. If you are successful, they invite you back for the second day for 1 on 1 interviews with group leaders. Was not invited back.

To be honest I was rather unimpressed with the whole process - and I was thinking this at the time and not just because I didn't get through! Firstly, the sent us the interview details and paper one day later than they said they would. I say sent, but they just provided a link to the paper, which was behind a paywall. This is problematic for people such as me that are not currently in the academic system. Luckily I was able to have a friend access the paper for me. They did eventually email everyone the PDF but not until only a few days before the interview day! The paper was rather lengthy and so I feel this was unfair and did not leave everyone with adequate time to prepare.

Also, I feel they invited way too many candidates to the interview stage. Perhaps 40 - 50 for only 10 available projects. They seemed to be running late the entire day and I had to nervously wait in the hall for 10 minutes past my scheduled interview time before being invited in. As a result, the interview felt rushed and I do not feel I had adequate chance to put across my research experience.

I was rather lucky in that my interview was scheduled for later in the afternoon and so I didn't have to wait around for too long until the poster session. Some people however had their interview at 9:30 and then had to wait around for the poster session until 16:30! (Although we were free to leave and come back). There was nothing scheduled for the rest of the time, such as tours of the facilities or the like. We were all crammed into a rather small waiting room for the day and as such it was rather noisy, which made it difficult to read over my notes in preparation for the interview and poster sessions. It would have been nice if we had been giving access to the library or some quiet reading area.

My final observation extends to the poster session. The number of candidates made it very difficult to talk to the current PhD students at each poster or to even get a clear look at the posters at all. Towards the end of the time, it did clear up a bit as more and more candidates left the room and the couple of PhD students that I did manage to talk to towards the end were very friendly and helpful in answering questions.

All in all a rather disappointing experience and I was not as disappointed to not get through as I thought I would have been. I would have liked to have met with my first choice group leader though as I feel that my background would have been a good fit for the group's research. Oh well.