Imperial College London Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 5, 2017

2.7

Research Engineer (EngD) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

I interviewed for a CDT in the Engineering department. This involved an initial interview with the director of the CDT, then a visit to London with 3 interviews with professors. I then had another visit to London, this time with 2 interviews and a presentation on a research topic I had completed, followed by questioning. I finally had another interview with the professor who would be my supervisor (via Skype), and a meeting with the company who I would be researching for. I found the process extremely drawn out. It took around 4 months in total, although I suppose this was partly necessary, as a 4 year research degree is not a small undertaking. I would have liked more transparency throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• - Derive Snell's Law.
      - What is the power consumption of the UK in watts.
      - What is the reflection coefficient for a 3 layer system (you have time to work it through on a piece of paper).
      Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial College London in May 2016.

Interview

Interview was scheduled for all morning, however there was lots of waiting around between activities. This was because all applicants were interviewed on the same morning and there were inevitable gaps whilst others were seen. The interview and presentation felt a little unfriendly, with no 'small talk' to warm up. I was expected to launch straight into my presentation. I found this to be bad practice, and I didn't really find any of the interviewers went to any lengths to be welcoming.

Interview Questions

• Mainly competency questions and also questions around my experience. There was also a question around ethics and personal values.   Answer Question

MBA Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

1st Round: Two interviewers focusing on your academic and professional experiences respectively, as well as your career aspirations. Very friendly and engaged interviewers, but the actual challenges are integrated into the seemingly casual dialogues. Must try to demonstrate your highest level of intellectual aptitudes and positive personality in order to impress the interviewers.
    2nd Round: In-depth technical interview on your niche expertise and growth potential. It's better to prepare the pitch and Q&A well ahead of the actual interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you envision your career to be like in 3 years time?   Answer Question

MSC In Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London (Berlin (Germany)) in March 2016.

Interview

I had to give an online interview as my application to further be considered. The university uses the Kira talent platform. The overall experience was ok ,the questions were tough though. There were 6 questions about the school and your personal and academic background, 5 oral 1 written. The difficult part was the limited time provided per question to think and answer.Prepare in advance to answer pretty fast!!!!

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a problem that occured while working in a team outside the university or work   1 Answer

MSC Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Kensington, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (South Kensington, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Individual interview with a member of staff, including some technical questions, previous employment and work experience and reasons for coming to London and coming to Imperial. This was followed by a panel interview with representatives from a number of leading oil & gas companies with similar questions.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in an upstream environment?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

Very short, casual, but intellectual. Interviews are often based on the very theoretical and technical foundations that you may need to really excel at doing research.

Doing research often requires a very specific skill set. The most important thing is to prepare for the kind of research that you will be required / you plan to do.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement the full dynamic range of a floating point operator with a fixed point operator?   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Submit CV. Ask about your background. Ask you some technical questions about the courses that you are going to teach. Ask about your work experience. Ask about your future plan.

Interview Questions

• Why do you apply for Imperial? Why do you apply for a teaching assistant role?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

It was a comprehensive day long interview. Presentation and then was asked to read a paper and then present the highlights of the paper...The panel consisted of the entire group and 2 Professors

Interview Questions

• Long term plans,project ideas, previous work   1 Answer

MSC Student Interview

Interview

The interview process is based on an examination of the academic records of the student and on the cover letter submitted by the candidates as well as the recommandation letters done by teachers

Reader Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview was very formal with partly technical and partly managerial questions from the committee. The emphasis of the questions was on future plans and projects, and the implication was on the potential to build and lead a research group. There has also been a focus on course development and the participation in current and future initiatives. The non-technical people on the panel asked typical business-type questions: where do you see yourself in five years? How will you contribute to the department's strengths? What do you consider the department's weakness? Overall the interview went okay, with the occasional awkward question.