Imperial College London Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Imperial College London Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2017

2.7

Research Associate Interview

Interview

I did not have an interview as I was working in the same group before.
    From other people's experiences, the interview is normally very competitive.
    A panel of 4-5 people and around 8-10 candidates.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Imperial College London in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process is scheduled over 2 days. First day is a panel interview, for which we are given a paper to read beforehand. They ask you to summarise the main points of the paper, some technical questions on it and to describe your research background. This is followed by a poster session in the afternoon where groups that have a position available present their current research. If you are successful, they invite you back for the second day for 1 on 1 interviews with group leaders. Was not invited back.

To be honest I was rather unimpressed with the whole process - and I was thinking this at the time and not just because I didn't get through! Firstly, the sent us the interview details and paper one day later than they said they would. I say sent, but they just provided a link to the paper, which was behind a paywall. This is problematic for people such as me that are not currently in the academic system. Luckily I was able to have a friend access the paper for me. They did eventually email everyone the PDF but not until only a few days before the interview day! The paper was rather lengthy and so I feel this was unfair and did not leave everyone with adequate time to prepare.

Also, I feel they invited way too many candidates to the interview stage. Perhaps 40 - 50 for only 10 available projects. They seemed to be running late the entire day and I had to nervously wait in the hall for 10 minutes past my scheduled interview time before being invited in. As a result, the interview felt rushed and I do not feel I had adequate chance to put across my research experience.

I was rather lucky in that my interview was scheduled for later in the afternoon and so I didn't have to wait around for too long until the poster session. Some people however had their interview at 9:30 and then had to wait around for the poster session until 16:30! (Although we were free to leave and come back). There was nothing scheduled for the rest of the time, such as tours of the facilities or the like. We were all crammed into a rather small waiting room for the day and as such it was rather noisy, which made it difficult to read over my notes in preparation for the interview and poster sessions. It would have been nice if we had been giving access to the library or some quiet reading area.

My final observation extends to the poster session. The number of candidates made it very difficult to talk to the current PhD students at each poster or to even get a clear look at the posters at all. Towards the end of the time, it did clear up a bit as more and more candidates left the room and the couple of PhD students that I did manage to talk to towards the end were very friendly and helpful in answering questions.

All in all a rather disappointing experience and I was not as disappointed to not get through as I thought I would have been. I would have liked to have met with my first choice group leader though as I feel that my background would have been a good fit for the group's research. Oh well.

MRC DTP PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

A three member panel interview with questions regarding an unrelated scientific paper. Everyone invited has an alloted time for this followed by a lunch with the current cohort of students.

Lecturer Interview

Interview

The worst impression of an employer I have ever had: I was invited to interview ti two different departments and, on both occasions, found a nasty surprise which was not on the JD or presented to me via invitation. A devious employer: stay well away, you'll end up preparing for hours only to find out they are truly rubbish with their staff.

Interview Questions

• The teaching will be 'collaborative' (ie you'll end up spending hours just to agree on a good syllabus, rather than preparing the best lesson you could teach), which is common practice in the College (I bet it isn't! I can't imagine all lecturers at Imperial preparing lesson plans with other colleagues of the same discipline, ha!). And we are only telling you now, after you have spent two days on this.   Answer Question

Student Services Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I was contacted within two weeks of applying for the job. I did not have to do a phone interview but was given an interview date for the next week. I was interviewed by HR and department, three people in total. I was asked mainly behavioural questions and the interview lasted approximately 45 minutes. The questions were clear and the process was simple.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a time that you had to deal with conflict resolution?
      Provide an example of a time you had to work under pressure?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial College London in May 2016.

Interview

Interview was scheduled for all morning, however there was lots of waiting around between activities. This was because all applicants were interviewed on the same morning and there were inevitable gaps whilst others were seen. The interview and presentation felt a little unfriendly, with no 'small talk' to warm up. I was expected to launch straight into my presentation. I found this to be bad practice, and I didn't really find any of the interviewers went to any lengths to be welcoming.

Interview Questions

• Mainly competency questions and also questions around my experience. There was also a question around ethics and personal values.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Imperial College London (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was shortlisted for a telephonic interview which was then followed by skype interview and a final in person interview. Was given a tour of the labs and other facilities in the Department. Great location, easily accessible by tube, good places to have lunch around

MSC Interview

Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in April 2016.

Interview

Brief skype interview. First 5 minutes presentation, then some questions on the presentation. Chatting about the course. Very relaxed atmosphere. Decision had probably been made beforehand, only selecting out completely unsuitable candidates.

Interview Questions

• What does AUC (area under the curve) refer to, explain concept?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial College London in April 2016.

Interview

We were given a talk about the possiblity of becoming one of the undergraduate teaching assistants after one of our classes. Many of us stayed behind and had to register interest after they informed us of the role. We then just had to sign up at the front of the hall by writing name and number on the clipboard, and answer if we had taught before or not.

MSC In Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Imperial College London (Berlin (Germany)) in March 2016.

Interview

I had to give an online interview as my application to further be considered. The university uses the Kira talent platform. The overall experience was ok ,the questions were tough though. There were 6 questions about the school and your personal and academic background, 5 oral 1 written. The difficult part was the limited time provided per question to think and answer.Prepare in advance to answer pretty fast!!!!

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a problem that occured while working in a team outside the university or work   1 Answer