Imperial Oil Interview Questions in Calgary, AB | Glassdoor

3.1

50 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied to a general intern posting online and received an email to book an interview a month later. The interview was held at my university. After the interviewer told me a little about the position they had selected for me, she asked me some very basic questions such as if I was legal to work in Canada and if I had a drivers licence. Next she moved onto behavioral STAR format questions. If you can't think of an example for a question, she is very nice about giving you a different, albeit very similar question. Then she asks if you have any questions. Unfortunately, the interviewer knew nothing about the role I was interviewing for and couldn't answer most of my questions. Overall, the interviewer was very pleasant and patient, but seems to be a note taker for somebody else making the decisions.
    The next day I received an email to complete a background check for the position. I had to submit a drivers abstract and picture ID to a third party called MINTZ. I am still waiting to hear the final decision regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Favorite and least favorite courses?   2 Answers
    • Your greatest academic achievement   Answer Question
    • A time when you had to be detail oriented. Was is enjoyable or not?   Answer Question
    • A time when the resources you expected to have weren't available anymore   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

Interview

Very friendly interviewer
    Questions were behavioural
    Interview was conducted at my University and the interview was around one hour long
    Read all questions posted in the other reviews and write down answers

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Started the interview with basic information questions that were on the online application, then moved onto behavioral questions, and ended by asking if I had anything to add/what questions I had.
    Pretty typical interview, took approximately 40 minutes. The interviewer was a relatively new engineer and was passionate and knowledgeable about her job and Imperial.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was quite relaxed. Like other reviews here, started out with screening questions on work legalities, then basics questions on achievements, your favourite course and your greatest strengths. The majority of the interview was based on behavioural questions recommended in the STAR format. At the end, I was asked if I had any questions regarding the position (which was notified to me in the beginning of the interview).

In between the interview, I was asked certain probing questions as well such as what did you understand based on your favourite course, why did you think it was important to change priorities?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to change priorities to meet results.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked with someone who mislead team objectives? How did you handle such a situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with basic questions about work eligibility, willing to relocate, driver's license, etc. Then there were some behavioural questions and they were posed to be answered in STAR format. The interviewer was very polite and a good listener, making it easy to speak naturally. At the end, I was informed of a potential position they might offer. Lastly, it was open for me to ask the interviewer questions. He was very knowledgeable about the business and answered all my questions well. The interview took about an hour in total.

Interview Questions

• What was one thing you were very satisfied/dissatisfied about?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had a conflict with a team member and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Procurement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)).

Interview

The interview itself was very straightforward. Applied through a referral, and was contacted for an interview about a month later. Interview was held on campus and the interviewer was personable and easy to talk to. STAR type behavioral questions, and also asked about some of the courses I enjoyed. Dealing with the HR representative was a nightmare though. They were completely unprofessional and disrespectful - after my interview they simply fell off the face of the earth and never so much as responded to an email for an update.

Procurement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Fairly straight forward process as everyone else has already said. The interviewer was very nice and explained the process and told me to answer the questions in the STAR format. It seems like the interviewer doesn't really do anything, they are just a note taker for HR. I felt like I had a great conversation and explained my qualities in detail, however I doubt they will take that into account. as they have limited space on the page to take notes.

Interview Questions

• All behavioural questions.Just focus on your past job acompolishments   2 Answers

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Very relaxed interview. Interviewer started out asking general questions then asked more questions following STAR format. Imperial Co-op interviews are almost exactly like the experiences described on glassdoor. Prepare your self by thinking about the questions on glassdoor ahead of time. The interviewer will ask you if you prefer field or office job, make sure you have a good answer for that. They will also ask you if you have any questions at the end. Thank you email is not necessary

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had different ideas than your supervisor, however you know for sure you are right. How did you resolve that conflict?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with your team mate, how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you decided that following procedure was not the right call, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • What is one of your greatest strength?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite course in university and why?   Answer Question

Engineering Summer Stuent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online through college campus recruitment. Process took about 3-4 weeks. They set up 30 min interview at the campus. No technical questions, all behavior based questions. After the interview I had to complete background check form and submit driver's abstract.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to break safety rules ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the Imperial Oil website. About a week later I received an email inviting me to chose a time slot for my interview. The interview took one hour and was conducted on campus at my university. It was an hour long interview that started with some general questions about my experience, proudest achievement, what is your favorite course etc. then moved into behavioral questions. The interviewer had a sheet with spaces for Situation, Action and Result so they expected answers in the STAR format. On each page was a list of several (perhaps 5) questions and the interviewer had chosen one. I was then asked whether I had any other strengths I wanted to mention and if I had any questions to ask. The interview was conversational and the interviewer was very nice.

They had one position pre-selected for me to interview for but they didn't give me information on that until after I had answered the questions.