Imperial Oil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 22, 2017

3.2

89 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

New Grad Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview process lasted about a month and a half. First round was on campus, then second round was at their head office in Calgary. Very behavioral based questions.

Management Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied to the position on the company website some time in mid-September. I was notified via email that I was selected for a face-to-face interview less than 2 weeks since I applied. Went in for the interview some time in early October. I was allotted 1 hour, but the interview was finished in about 45-50 minutes. The lady who interviewed me was very nice and friendly, and explained the interview itinerary prior to starting the interview. She said I would be contacted within 2 weeks after the interview regarding the way forward, but have not heard back since then.

Interview Questions

• [paraphrased]
      Tell me about a time when attention to detail was particularly important / relevant to the work you were doing.   1 Answer

Geoscience Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process involved a short course in Calgary, which was pretty jam-packed with information but very engaging. You were able to apply your knowledge and work in a team; there was no specific interview, but your progress was observed and you interacted with recruiters throughout the weekend.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to apply skills learned in their Basin Analysis short course in a group setting, and were called upon to present our results.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied to a general intern posting online and received an email to book an interview a month later. The interview was held at my university. After the interviewer told me a little about the position they had selected for me, she asked me some very basic questions such as if I was legal to work in Canada and if I had a drivers licence. Next she moved onto behavioral STAR format questions. If you can't think of an example for a question, she is very nice about giving you a different, albeit very similar question. Then she asks if you have any questions. Unfortunately, the interviewer knew nothing about the role I was interviewing for and couldn't answer most of my questions. Overall, the interviewer was very pleasant and patient, but seems to be a note taker for somebody else making the decisions.
    The next day I received an email to complete a background check for the position. I had to submit a drivers abstract and picture ID to a third party called MINTZ. I am still waiting to hear the final decision regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Favorite and least favorite courses?   2 Answers
    • Your greatest academic achievement   Answer Question
    • A time when you had to be detail oriented. Was is enjoyable or not?   Answer Question
    • A time when the resources you expected to have weren't available anymore   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Interviewer was an engineer. He was extremely friendly. The time allotted was 1 hour and we used up the entire time. Some of the questions were pretty hard so he allowed me to skip and come back to them if I wanted.

Still waiting on a response two weeks later

Interview Questions

• Proudest accomplishment
      Fav/Least fav subject
      Time you were in a group and someone misled team objectives and how you got the team back on track   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

Interview

Very friendly interviewer
    Questions were behavioural
    Interview was conducted at my University and the interview was around one hour long
    Read all questions posted in the other reviews and write down answers

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview took for about an hour and it was mostly behaviour questions. I did not have a previous experience in behaviour question type interview and therefore, I did not do well. But most of the questions that was asked was very similar to what they have in glassdoor! So just be prepared!!

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite subject?
      What is your least favorite subject?
      Describe a time when you faced diversity and how you solved the porblem?   Answer Question

Geoscience Student - Co-op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview

Since I did not live in Alberta at the time, it was a phone interview. Few minutes prior to the interview I received map documents in my inbox in powerpoint file. All other students had to come in and had a chance to look at very large print outs of these imagines; I felt I was at a disadvantage because of the format. At the end of the interview, they reviewed the files with me and told me the answers they were looking for. Several of the images, I did not provide my best answer because I did not notice the symbols or fine details because of the format, but that was what they were looking for in the answer. I did appreciate this review.

Interview Questions

• - Asked me questions regarding the slides which had data or maps on them; Have I seen this type of data before? What is the data presented on this graph? Did I notice anything missing from this map? What would I do differently if I made this map?   Answer Question

Materials Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview was at McGill campus. 1 hour interview. STAR format, Applied through imperial oil website and the process took around 2 weeks before i got the interview. The interview was scheduled for week later.
    Most questions were behavioural. Resume specific question (Just 1).

Interview Questions

• What is your weakness and Name me your 3 strengths?

How you prioritize your tasks in rapid schedule changing environment?

what was a situation where you failed to achieve your stated goal?

Describe a time when you used your leadership and persuasion skills to guide your team in the right direction.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Started the interview with basic information questions that were on the online application, then moved onto behavioral questions, and ended by asking if I had anything to add/what questions I had.
    Pretty typical interview, took approximately 40 minutes. The interviewer was a relatively new engineer and was passionate and knowledgeable about her job and Imperial.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question