Imperial Oil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

154 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied to a general intern posting online and received an email to book an interview a month later. The interview was held at my university. After the interviewer told me a little about the position they had selected for me, she asked me some very basic questions such as if I was legal to work in Canada and if I had a drivers licence. Next she moved onto behavioral STAR format questions. If you can't think of an example for a question, she is very nice about giving you a different, albeit very similar question. Then she asks if you have any questions. Unfortunately, the interviewer knew nothing about the role I was interviewing for and couldn't answer most of my questions. Overall, the interviewer was very pleasant and patient, but seems to be a note taker for somebody else making the decisions.
    The next day I received an email to complete a background check for the position. I had to submit a drivers abstract and picture ID to a third party called MINTZ. I am still waiting to hear the final decision regarding the position.

Interview Questions

• Favorite and least favorite courses?   2 Answers
    • Your greatest academic achievement   Answer Question
    • A time when you had to be detail oriented. Was is enjoyable or not?   Answer Question
    • A time when the resources you expected to have weren't available anymore   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was one-on-one conducted on campus at my University. Even though the time allotted was 1 hour, the interview itself was a lot quicker and ended with plenty of time to ask questions at the end. Questions are similar to those on Glassdoor so practice those.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite course?
      What was your least favorite course?
      What was a difficult task you worked on?
      Give an example of when you were a leader in a team   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Interviewer was an engineer. He was extremely friendly. The time allotted was 1 hour and we used up the entire time. Some of the questions were pretty hard so he allowed me to skip and come back to them if I wanted.

Still waiting on a response two weeks later

Interview Questions

• Proudest accomplishment
      Fav/Least fav subject
      Time you were in a group and someone misled team objectives and how you got the team back on track   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

Interview

Very friendly interviewer
    Questions were behavioural
    Interview was conducted at my University and the interview was around one hour long
    Read all questions posted in the other reviews and write down answers

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

1. Questions regarding mandatory requirements: eligibility to work in Canada, driver's license, etc
    2. Behavioral questions and answers are expected to be in STAR format
    3. Your turn to ask questions to the interviewer

Co-Op Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (London, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The interview was greatly focused on character and organization/time management questions where they asked for specific examples as an answer.
    The interviewers are very nice and agreeable people, make sure to have questions for them as well! :)
    If necessary, ask for 30 seconds or a couple minutes to think before answering, what they look for is someone with integrity, willingness to learn, to improve, and driven to succeed/excel.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled multiple tasks at a time? How do you make sure to meet deadlines?
      What do you consider your weakness and how do you manage to overcome it?
      How have you handled a tense situation with a coworker/teammate in the past?
      What do you consider your best acomplishment and how did you achieve it?
      What do you consider to be your best qualities? Have you made a big mistake in the workplace or a school and how did you handle it?
      Can you describe a lab work procedure you have done this term? (since I am a college co-op student and was applying for a lab technician position)   Answer Question

Geoscience Student - Co-op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview

Since I did not live in Alberta at the time, it was a phone interview. Few minutes prior to the interview I received map documents in my inbox in powerpoint file. All other students had to come in and had a chance to look at very large print outs of these imagines; I felt I was at a disadvantage because of the format. At the end of the interview, they reviewed the files with me and told me the answers they were looking for. Several of the images, I did not provide my best answer because I did not notice the symbols or fine details because of the format, but that was what they were looking for in the answer. I did appreciate this review.

Interview Questions

• - Asked me questions regarding the slides which had data or maps on them; Have I seen this type of data before? What is the data presented on this graph? Did I notice anything missing from this map? What would I do differently if I made this map?   Answer Question

Materials Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview was at McGill campus. 1 hour interview. STAR format, Applied through imperial oil website and the process took around 2 weeks before i got the interview. The interview was scheduled for week later.
    Most questions were behavioural. Resume specific question (Just 1).

Interview Questions

• What is your weakness and Name me your 3 strengths?

How you prioritize your tasks in rapid schedule changing environment?

what was a situation where you failed to achieve your stated goal?

Describe a time when you used your leadership and persuasion skills to guide your team in the right direction.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-op Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Started the interview with basic information questions that were on the online application, then moved onto behavioral questions, and ended by asking if I had anything to add/what questions I had.
    Pretty typical interview, took approximately 40 minutes. The interviewer was a relatively new engineer and was passionate and knowledgeable about her job and Imperial.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was quite relaxed. Like other reviews here, started out with screening questions on work legalities, then basics questions on achievements, your favourite course and your greatest strengths. The majority of the interview was based on behavioural questions recommended in the STAR format. At the end, I was asked if I had any questions regarding the position (which was notified to me in the beginning of the interview).

In between the interview, I was asked certain probing questions as well such as what did you understand based on your favourite course, why did you think it was important to change priorities?

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to change priorities to meet results.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked with someone who mislead team objectives? How did you handle such a situation?   Answer Question