Imperial Oil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Imperial Oil Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

3.1

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview

Met with one interviewer on campus. Questions were almost entirely behavioral (no technical), but pretty standard. For one question, I had no example and the interviewer said that was ok and gave me another case. I was told what position I was interviewing for at the time of the interview, since the online application was for a general pool. The interviewer was very impartial, friendly, and fair.

Interview Questions

• Example of trouble working with a group to meet a goal, and what did you do, etc.

Describe your greatest accomplishment.

Describe a conflict with a co-worker, and how did you resolve it (STAR).

Asked about course work (best and worst courses and why).
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil.

Interview

1 hour on-campus interview for an engineering intern position. The interviewer was really great and made the effort to establish a personal connection. The questions were exclusively behaviour, no technical questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with adversity. What did you do? What did you learn?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They contacted me with an offer at a very competitive salary. I was given several hours to mull it over.

Procurement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Fairly straight forward process as everyone else has already said. The interviewer was very nice and explained the process and told me to answer the questions in the STAR format. It seems like the interviewer doesn't really do anything, they are just a note taker for HR. I felt like I had a great conversation and explained my qualities in detail, however I doubt they will take that into account. as they have limited space on the page to take notes.

Interview Questions

• All behavioural questions.Just focus on your past job acompolishments   2 Answers

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Very relaxed interview. Interviewer started out asking general questions then asked more questions following STAR format. Imperial Co-op interviews are almost exactly like the experiences described on glassdoor. Prepare your self by thinking about the questions on glassdoor ahead of time. The interviewer will ask you if you prefer field or office job, make sure you have a good answer for that. They will also ask you if you have any questions at the end. Thank you email is not necessary

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had different ideas than your supervisor, however you know for sure you are right. How did you resolve that conflict?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with your team mate, how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you decided that following procedure was not the right call, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • What is one of your greatest strength?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite course in university and why?   Answer Question

Engineering Summer Stuent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online through college campus recruitment. Process took about 3-4 weeks. They set up 30 min interview at the campus. No technical questions, all behavior based questions. After the interview I had to complete background check form and submit driver's abstract.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to break safety rules ?   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the Imperial Oil website. About a week later I received an email inviting me to chose a time slot for my interview. The interview took one hour and was conducted on campus at my university. It was an hour long interview that started with some general questions about my experience, proudest achievement, what is your favorite course etc. then moved into behavioral questions. The interviewer had a sheet with spaces for Situation, Action and Result so they expected answers in the STAR format. On each page was a list of several (perhaps 5) questions and the interviewer had chosen one. I was then asked whether I had any other strengths I wanted to mention and if I had any questions to ask. The interview was conversational and the interviewer was very nice.

They had one position pre-selected for me to interview for but they didn't give me information on that until after I had answered the questions.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Purely behavioural interview, no technical questions. It was a general listing and they told me at the interview what position they were going to interview me for. The interviewer was very friendly and started off talking about Imperial. Then, we went through formality questions (are you allowed to work in Canada, are you okay with wearing gas masks/other PPE, do you have a valid driver's license, etc), then went into questions based on teamwork/motivation/adaptability and academic as well. See the questions below (that's all i can remember at the moment). Won't hear back for two weeks.

EDIT: Feb 5: Got the job! :D

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a conflict in a team. Name a time when you had to convince members of your team to your own solution. Tell me about a time where your goals in a project changed midway through. What are your favourite/least favourite courses. What is your proudest accomplishment at school? Time when in a team someone had a better idea than you?   1 Answer

Various Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

one-on-one in first round at your university and then round two at HQ. first round is to determine your suitability to the roles (which were not clearly defined in the posting) and the second round was narrowed down to only a few candidates. Entirely behavioural based interviews both times.

Interview Questions

• describe a time when you experienced _____ and what did you do?   1 Answer

New Grad Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Imperial Oil (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview started our by talking about my University experience, when I graduated. What my favorite courses in University were. Then we proceeded to the behavioral Interview Questions which were in the STAR format. Problem Solving; Difficult Team member; Challenge; motivated a team to do a hard project; Then we discussed my Strengths

Interview Questions

• Tell me About a time when you dealt with a difficult team member?   Answer Question

Engineering Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imperial Oil in October 2015.

Interview

-Applied online
    -received interview about 1 week after deadline
    -had interview 2 weeks after deadline
    -Interview was with an engineer. All behavioral questions. You application gets you the interview and your interview gets you the job
    -Interviewer was friendly and patient

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult task to do? did you feel satisfied with it?   Answer Question