Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions in Canada | Glassdoor

Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions in Canada

Updated Feb 28, 2017

2.3

Channel Reporting Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Got an email the next day saying they wanted to hear my story. I scheduled a phone interview, however it was very short. The interviewer did not seem very interested from the beginning. They said they would give me my result by the end of the week, however it took them almost 3 weeks to get back.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

Applicants first went through a group interview where they were asked questions about their favourite book or section of the store. Chosen candidates were those who stood out in terms of outgoing personality, warmth of character, enthusiasm, etc. They would then go on to a one-on-one interview where more detailed questions would be asked. Overall though, they are looking for someone who is engaging, can provide good customer experience, and works well in a large team of people.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you worked in/as a team? What happened, how did it go?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in December 2016.

Interview

Group interview, there was 6 interviewees. The interviewers were very laid back and friendly. It was mostly informal and fun. The interviewers asked a few general personality questions about teams, managerial style, personality, etc. then took part in a role play activity for ten minutes where we picked gifts for someone else in the group and something that represented who we are

Seasonal Customer Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

Week 1: I sent my cover letter and resume through their online system.
    Week 2: I had an interview.
    Week 3: I finally heard back from the manager as to whether or not I was hired.

Ultimately I wasn't hired for the position at that location I interviewed for, but the manager was kind enough to recommend me to the manager of a different location.

Week 4: After not hearing back from the first manager, I did follow up with her. I met with the second manager later that week and was hired.
    Week 6: I finally had my first day. Yes, the manager had me start more or less 2 weeks after I was hired, despite being available right away.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself.
      Why should we hire you?
      What is good customer service to you? Give an example of a time when you provided good customer service.
      If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

Team activities:
      Pick an item appropriate for the person to your left. Explain why it's a good choice.
      Physical activity to test our communication and teamwork skills.
      Answer Question

Overnight Stock Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Mississauga, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I applied online and got a phone call within the same week. After a quick phone interview ( Why do you want to work for Indigo?)
    I was invited for a phone interview which they call an audition. I was told to go on the website and fill out an application for the position I applied for so I could be sent the official invite.
    At the group interview we were brought in overnight (After the store closed). We started with a ice breaker activity - grouping up with people that had whatever in common that the interviewer called out. This forces you do interact with each other. After that activity we all answered the questions I listed below. We thenbrome up into two groups. The next task was a rope with numbers 1-30 in them. We had to successfully step on the numbers in chronological order but communicate with our group so only one person was responsible for each number. We were then shown how to use the scanner and explained how many different categories there were.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any animal what would it be and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about what brought you to apply for this position.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a leader that made an impact on your life.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was really simple and took about a week. First had an online video interview then a week later got called in to talk to the manager. It was really relaxed, the interviewer was genuinely friendly and just wanted to talk about my interests. She was extremely helpful with answering questions and very informative.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through their job listings page -- this is mandatory. A week later, since the status of my application hadn't changed, I visited a branch close to me to hand in a physical resume. The lady who attended me was representative of Chapters as a whole -- brilliant and friendly. My resume was eventually passed to a manager who said she would hand it to the hiring manager, though she warned me that the hiring manager was on vacation. That would explain the lack of updates! A little bit over a week since handing in my resume, I contacted the hiring manager (yes, I was pesky) and she replied saying they were doing a group interview later that week, asking me if I was available.

The interview with the group lasted 2 hours, incredibly open and engaging, not intimidating in the slightest, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare. Do your research about the company -- three pairs of eyes were judging us throughout the interview, so don't take it lightly.

The interview itself had 3 steps:
    1) Icebreakers (games)
    2) Interview questions (about 5 or so)
    3) Curating and gifts (picking 2 things in the store that inspires/speaks about you, and then finding two for the person beside you)

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal, what would you be?   Answer Question
    • Do you think you could handle 8 hours of standing and smiling at customers? (This was a humorous question, but he also meant it)   Answer Question
    • How do you handle stress/prioritize?   Answer Question
    • Favorite book you've read? You will look good if you say which it is, sell it to the audience, and recommend a book similar to it.   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the most important when handling customers?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview, around 15 of us. We all played an icebreaker first, then had turns to answer a few questions, after that we went downstairs and had to first choose up to 3 items we thought represented us well and then items for the person next to us. The key is to really listen to everyone's answers in the questions part and also when they choose their gift. Got an email back 4 days later to say I didn't get the job. Indigo's looking for peppy, super upbeat people, passionate about customer service, just talk about how much you love books and making connections with people

Interview Questions

• What animal do you feel like you associate with most?   1 Answer
    • Why did you do to prepare for this interview?   1 Answer

Seasonal Customer Experience Representative - Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

Very casual interview. The interview was called an audition, typically they are group auditions however there were only two of us interviewing. First we went into the storage room and answered questions such as top five favourite movies, are you a dog or cat person, etc. Became more of a conversation rather than a formal interview. After that we went into the store and the manager gave us a scenario of a customer asking for help to find gifts for two people and we were giving 15minutes to find a few gifts for the potential customer. At the end we were asked about availability and were told we would hear back even if we didn't get the job.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Great experience. Talent Recruiters were very friendly and made the interview process relaxed. Felt more like a conversation than an interview which makes things more comfortable. Overall great experience. Environment also seemed very relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experiences and how they would contribute to indigo   Answer Question