Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.3

Digital Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2014.

Interview

Initial communication took place over e-mail with hiring recruiter who did not e-mail professionally. After organizing a phone interview, the phone conversation lasted for a maximum of 6 minutes. Next step was an in person interview with the Digital Marketing Director a week later. The Director was very closed minded and unapproachable making the interview uneasy and uncomfortable. The interview process is taking 6 weeks or more. Next step is a presentation of a project given to you after the in person interview. Questions asked were above the expectations of the position being interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• They asked for the keyword that drove your latest campaign and then entered it into Google to see if your webpage appeared.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Saskatoon, SK (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

The time that you apply to the time that you get hired is very quick and smooth sailing. However, the interview is a group/scenario interview and can get very long (mine was 45 minutes however I have been told then can take up to an hour). That seems very ridiculous for a minimum wage paying job.

Interview Questions

• Pick your favourite book, and pick something to pair with it... and explain why.   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

It was very casual, based more on sussing out a personality fit for the role. Lots of questions about team building, trust, and development. A rambling conversation with lots of shared insights, it was a very enjoyable chat. Self knowledge was a critical component to being hired.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

First of all, at Indigo, it's not an interview - it's a 'group audition'. When I went, there was a group of maybe 15-20 people vying for jobs, and there were managers from 2-3 different Chapters/Indigo stores looking to evaluate us. There were 4 parts to the interview, if I recall correctly. First, we got information about the company. Then, we played an ice breaker/team building game. We also got to role-play helping out a customer. And then finally there were interview questions, but they were asked to everyone in your small group, and everyone had to answer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you faced a difficult situation and explain how you dealt with it.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through their job listings page -- this is mandatory. A week later, since the status of my application hadn't changed, I visited a branch close to me to hand in a physical resume. The lady who attended me was representative of Chapters as a whole -- brilliant and friendly. My resume was eventually passed to a manager who said she would hand it to the hiring manager, though she warned me that the hiring manager was on vacation. That would explain the lack of updates! A little bit over a week since handing in my resume, I contacted the hiring manager (yes, I was pesky) and she replied saying they were doing a group interview later that week, asking me if I was available.

The interview with the group lasted 2 hours, incredibly open and engaging, not intimidating in the slightest, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare. Do your research about the company -- three pairs of eyes were judging us throughout the interview, so don't take it lightly.

The interview itself had 3 steps:
    1) Icebreakers (games)
    2) Interview questions (about 5 or so)
    3) Curating and gifts (picking 2 things in the store that inspires/speaks about you, and then finding two for the person beside you)

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal, what would you be?   Answer Question
    • Do you think you could handle 8 hours of standing and smiling at customers? (This was a humorous question, but he also meant it)   Answer Question
    • How do you handle stress/prioritize?   Answer Question
    • Favorite book you've read? You will look good if you say which it is, sell it to the audience, and recommend a book similar to it.   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the most important when handling customers?   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Saskatoon, SK (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

I got an email a few days after applying. I then went in for a group interview, I was the only high-school student, with 7 collage girls, and 2 grandmothers. We did some group activities, then went home. 2 days later I was told I didn't get the job.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Great experience. Talent Recruiters were very friendly and made the interview process relaxed. Felt more like a conversation than an interview which makes things more comfortable. Overall great experience. Environment also seemed very relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experiences and how they would contribute to indigo   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online to work in the children's department and the main department of the store. The application was basically just my resume with a few other simple questions. I received an email within a couple days of applying notifying me that they would like to make a time for me to do a video interview. After I submitted my video responses (4 questions), I received another email inviting me into the store to attend a group interview. The interview was very relaxed and made me feel as if I would be getting the job even though I did not end up receiving the job. It is nothing to be nervous about because they make you feel very at ease, but that also means you can't be sure whether or not they will end up hiring you.

The group interview was divided into sections:
    question & answer

gifting (made up scenarios and you got to pick as many as you wanted to try and go around the store picking out a gift you felt would be suitable for the scenario)

icebreaker game (put a bunch of numbers in a circle and everyone stood on the outside trying to tap all the numbers in order - this sounds complicated but when you are participating it all starts making sense)

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

Had a positive experience. Very comfortable setting but the company on the whole is very casual and laid back. Interviewer was very young and though I felt the interview went well, I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How do you fit in with our culture?   Answer Question

CER Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2012.

Interview

Group interview is challenging. It's very important to speak up, do not try to speak over others but make yourself heard. It's important to be very prepared for this portion. The one on one interview is a little more straight forward, and they ask mostly questions related to how you would deal with customers in certain situations. To answer these questions it is best to use examples of situations from your past work experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about how you would recommend a book to a specific type of customer.   1 Answer