Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2017

2.3

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

It was very casual, based more on sussing out a personality fit for the role. Lots of questions about team building, trust, and development. A rambling conversation with lots of shared insights, it was a very enjoyable chat. Self knowledge was a critical component to being hired.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

First of all, at Indigo, it's not an interview - it's a 'group audition'. When I went, there was a group of maybe 15-20 people vying for jobs, and there were managers from 2-3 different Chapters/Indigo stores looking to evaluate us. There were 4 parts to the interview, if I recall correctly. First, we got information about the company. Then, we played an ice breaker/team building game. We also got to role-play helping out a customer. And then finally there were interview questions, but they were asked to everyone in your small group, and everyone had to answer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you faced a difficult situation and explain how you dealt with it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

Process just took a week, it was great! I just apply at the right time. I apply a day, and the next day got an call for interview, and the following day did an interview, and by the end of the week receive the offer.

Interview Questions

• What your fav book and why
      What the last book you have read.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

non-negotiable

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music in December 2016.

Interview

Group interview, there was 6 interviewees. The interviewers were very laid back and friendly. It was mostly informal and fun. The interviewers asked a few general personality questions about teams, managerial style, personality, etc. then took part in a role play activity for ten minutes where we picked gifts for someone else in the group and something that represented who we are

Seasonal Customer Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

Week 1: I sent my cover letter and resume through their online system.
    Week 2: I had an interview.
    Week 3: I finally heard back from the manager as to whether or not I was hired.

Ultimately I wasn't hired for the position at that location I interviewed for, but the manager was kind enough to recommend me to the manager of a different location.

Week 4: After not hearing back from the first manager, I did follow up with her. I met with the second manager later that week and was hired.
    Week 6: I finally had my first day. Yes, the manager had me start more or less 2 weeks after I was hired, despite being available right away.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself.
      Why should we hire you?
      What is good customer service to you? Give an example of a time when you provided good customer service.
      If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

Team activities:
      Pick an item appropriate for the person to your left. Explain why it's a good choice.
      Physical activity to test our communication and teamwork skills.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

Applicants first went through a group interview where they were asked questions about their favourite book or section of the store. Chosen candidates were those who stood out in terms of outgoing personality, warmth of character, enthusiasm, etc. They would then go on to a one-on-one interview where more detailed questions would be asked. Overall though, they are looking for someone who is engaging, can provide good customer experience, and works well in a large team of people.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you worked in/as a team? What happened, how did it go?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

The Interview Process was pretty simple, you apply online (no cover letter required). Once they review your application they will contact you asking if you can come for a group interview. Interviews are most likely to take place after the store closes in the store. I got called in on a Sunday after 7 from what I remember. Group interview is pretty easy, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Then they would call you to confirm if they want you to work for them and to come to an Orientation. After that you're set.

Interview Questions

• Group Interview
      - What book would you recommend
      - Tell me about yourself
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate. It was fixed.

Seasonal Customer Experience Representative - Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

Very casual interview. The interview was called an audition, typically they are group auditions however there were only two of us interviewing. First we went into the storage room and answered questions such as top five favourite movies, are you a dog or cat person, etc. Became more of a conversation rather than a formal interview. After that we went into the store and the manager gave us a scenario of a customer asking for help to find gifts for two people and we were giving 15minutes to find a few gifts for the potential customer. At the end we were asked about availability and were told we would hear back even if we didn't get the job.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Winnipeg, MB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online.
    Received email that I was invited to the "audition."
    Came to the audition, which was a group interview of about 15 people.
    Asked 3 questions and everyone in the circle answered. Played a game where one person is the CER & the other is the customer.
    Did a "scavenger hunt", which was basically just walking through the store finding specific genre spots.
    At the end of the interview, gave the managers hours/resumes.
    Got a call the same day as interview, asking if I wanted the job.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview, around 15 of us. We all played an icebreaker first, then had turns to answer a few questions, after that we went downstairs and had to first choose up to 3 items we thought represented us well and then items for the person next to us. The key is to really listen to everyone's answers in the questions part and also when they choose their gift. Got an email back 4 days later to say I didn't get the job. Indigo's looking for peppy, super upbeat people, passionate about customer service, just talk about how much you love books and making connections with people

Interview Questions

• What animal do you feel like you associate with most?   1 Answer
    • Why did you do to prepare for this interview?   1 Answer