Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.4

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Got a call from Indigo. They asked me why I think I would be good for the job and then asked me to come in for a group interview. The interview was me and about 9 other people. First we had to fill out availability sheets. They asked us to introduce ourselves and say what we like about the store and why we want to work there. They asked us 3 other questions and had us all answer them one at a time. They then asked us if we had any questions, they took two and it was over.

I got a call about a week later asking to come in for a second group interview. The email said that this one would also be a group interview but we would be doing activities instead of answering questions. When I got there I saw that it was a much smaller group (3 of us in total , all people I recognized from the first interview). They gave us 10 minutes to get three items in the store (one book, one from kids and one from lifestyle) that we thought described us in someway or that we thought would make a good gift. Once we did that we had to explain to everyone why we chose what we chose. Then then told us about 6 people, their ages, their genders, and what they like and a price range and told us to find items for those people , come back and explain why we chose them. After that they once again asked if we had any questions and then it was over. They said they would be in touch and give us a call before the end of the following week. I got a call 2 days later telling me I got the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you like about Indigo   Answer Question
    • Tell me why you think you'd be a great addition to the store   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time a customer made an unreasonable request and what you did   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were having a bad day and how you dealt with that at school or at work   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview. The group size is 10+, a bit larger than I expected.
    We first said one fun fact about ourselves. Then the interviewers asked us some questions:1.Why indigo? 2.What animal would you be? 3. If someone is still alive, who you want to meet?
    Then after we played some games and picked a gift for kids and the person who is sitting next to us.
    Overall, the interview was fun and interesting,

Interview Questions

• 1.Why indigo? 2.What animal would you be? 3. If someone is still alive, who you want to meet?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back, via a phone call, about a week later. Someone called and asked a few questions (eg. Have you been to our store before? Why are you interested in working at Indigo? What's your availability like?) and then asked if I could come in the following Saturday afternoon for what they called an "audition" which is the interview.

At the interview, there were 8 applicants and we all went through the whole thing together. It lasted about 2-2.5 hours. First, we went around and introduced ourselves and talked a bit about why we wanted to work at Indigo. Then, the interviewer (there were two managers there but only one was asking questions. He would listen attentively and lead the conversation but the other manager sat mostly quietly and took notes) asked us all four questions. He asked each question to the group and allowed everyone to answer, with no directed order. So it was up to you whenever you volunteered to answer but everyone answered each question.

After the four questions, we did a couple little activities. The first was being sent out into the store to find an item that "spoke to us" or that we felt represented us in some way. We then came back to the interview room (which was just their storage room) and presented our items to each other and explained why we chose them. After that, we were instructed to do the same thing except we were to pick something out that we would recommend to the person sitting next to us, based on the answers we had heard from them throughout the interview so far. For each activity, we were told to take "a few minutes" but there was no real time limit, so it's up to you to manage your time and find something relatively quickly and bring it back.

Then, we were given a chance to ask our own questions to the interviewers. And that was it! We were told that we would hear back in a week, whether we got the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Indigo?   Answer Question
    • What do you think of as good customer service? Give us an example of a time you experience good customer service.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a difficult person from your past and how you worked/dealt with them.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your best experience with a team. How did you work together and why was it such a positive experience?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager, Inventory and Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewed first on the phone with HR, then in person with a few managers and the director.
    Asked typical interview questions. Then asked a couple of situational questions.
    The managers were very easy going, and the overall experience was pleasant.

Seasonal Customer Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

Week 1: I sent my cover letter and resume through their online system.
    Week 2: I had an interview.
    Week 3: I finally heard back from the manager as to whether or not I was hired.

Ultimately I wasn't hired for the position at that location I interviewed for, but the manager was kind enough to recommend me to the manager of a different location.

Week 4: After not hearing back from the first manager, I did follow up with her. I met with the second manager later that week and was hired.
    Week 6: I finally had my first day. Yes, the manager had me start more or less 2 weeks after I was hired, despite being available right away.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself.
      Why should we hire you?
      What is good customer service to you? Give an example of a time when you provided good customer service.
      If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

Team activities:
      Pick an item appropriate for the person to your left. Explain why it's a good choice.
      Physical activity to test our communication and teamwork skills.   Answer Question

Overnight Stock Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Mississauga, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I applied online and got a phone call within the same week. After a quick phone interview ( Why do you want to work for Indigo?)
    I was invited for a phone interview which they call an audition. I was told to go on the website and fill out an application for the position I applied for so I could be sent the official invite.
    At the group interview we were brought in overnight (After the store closed). We started with a ice breaker activity - grouping up with people that had whatever in common that the interviewer called out. This forces you do interact with each other. After that activity we all answered the questions I listed below. We thenbrome up into two groups. The next task was a rope with numbers 1-30 in them. We had to successfully step on the numbers in chronological order but communicate with our group so only one person was responsible for each number. We were then shown how to use the scanner and explained how many different categories there were.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any animal what would it be and why?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about what brought you to apply for this position.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a leader that made an impact on your life.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was really simple and took about a week. First had an online video interview then a week later got called in to talk to the manager. It was really relaxed, the interviewer was genuinely friendly and just wanted to talk about my interests. She was extremely helpful with answering questions and very informative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview, around 15 of us. We all played an icebreaker first, then had turns to answer a few questions, after that we went downstairs and had to first choose up to 3 items we thought represented us well and then items for the person next to us. The key is to really listen to everyone's answers in the questions part and also when they choose their gift. Got an email back 4 days later to say I didn't get the job. Indigo's looking for peppy, super upbeat people, passionate about customer service, just talk about how much you love books and making connections with people

Interview Questions

• What animal do you feel like you associate with most?   1 Answer
    • Why did you do to prepare for this interview?   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Great experience. Talent Recruiters were very friendly and made the interview process relaxed. Felt more like a conversation than an interview which makes things more comfortable. Overall great experience. Environment also seemed very relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experiences and how they would contribute to indigo   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied and got a call the same day. Got a slot for the interview today. Staff were really relaxed and friendly. Started with a bunch of general questions then off to finding items you identify yourself most with. It's a very positive experience and I just had so much fun!

Still waiting for the outcome! Wish me luck! :)