Indigo Books & Music Interview Questions in Vancouver, BC | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

2.6

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (North Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

It was a group session around 11 people. First a round of 5 questions that not everybody answered. Then, some games such as "perfect pair", get two things from the store that represent you and 2 for your perfect pair. It was very informal, the managers were paying attention to the behaviors and taking some notes.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online through their job listings page -- this is mandatory. A week later, since the status of my application hadn't changed, I visited a branch close to me to hand in a physical resume. The lady who attended me was representative of Chapters as a whole -- brilliant and friendly. My resume was eventually passed to a manager who said she would hand it to the hiring manager, though she warned me that the hiring manager was on vacation. That would explain the lack of updates! A little bit over a week since handing in my resume, I contacted the hiring manager (yes, I was pesky) and she replied saying they were doing a group interview later that week, asking me if I was available.

The interview with the group lasted 2 hours, incredibly open and engaging, not intimidating in the slightest, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare. Do your research about the company -- three pairs of eyes were judging us throughout the interview, so don't take it lightly.

The interview itself had 3 steps:
    1) Icebreakers (games)
    2) Interview questions (about 5 or so)
    3) Curating and gifts (picking 2 things in the store that inspires/speaks about you, and then finding two for the person beside you)

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal, what would you be?   Answer Question
    • Do you think you could handle 8 hours of standing and smiling at customers? (This was a humorous question, but he also meant it)   Answer Question
    • How do you handle stress/prioritize?   Answer Question
    • Favorite book you've read? You will look good if you say which it is, sell it to the audience, and recommend a book similar to it.   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the most important when handling customers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

It was a group interview, about 15-20 people but we spit up into 3 smaller groups, each doing different activities:
    a group teamwork game
    answering questions (number depended on the size of the group)
    "roleplaying" - pretended I was a sales associate, reacted to the situation provided

Seasonal Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (North Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

I went to the store requesting for a job opportunity. There was a customer service who finally connected me to the store manager. The store manager reviewed my resume and invited me for a group interview that was supposed to be conducted in the same day evening in another store. I attended in the interview and there were 3 more persons in the group interview.

Interview Questions

• Two ladies from HR and the store manager. we were 4 candidates. We all circled.
      Firstly, they started with a short presentation about indigo.
      Then interview questions one by one:
      > Why do you like to work in indigo?
      > what was your favorite hat in childhood?
      > what are the top two characteristics of you?
      > What is your role in a team?
      after that; role play.
      Finally the group strategic / teamwork play of numbers. (touching the numbers from 1 to 19 on the floor in the fastest way without being in the circle more than one person at the same time....)
      They called me a day after and then sending me job offer. I started my job one day later.
      the whole process just 3 days.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

Fairly simple. We started off by them asking us questions then we answer it one by one. Then we did a group activity and at the end we did customer scenarios (where you have to act)

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where a customer was unhappy and what steps did you do to help?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

It was very casual, based more on sussing out a personality fit for the role. Lots of questions about team building, trust, and development. A rambling conversation with lots of shared insights, it was a very enjoyable chat. Self knowledge was a critical component to being hired.

CEM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Surrey, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Indigo uses an online "survey" at time of application. Designed to filter out those who might not be adaptable to using pressure selling. It appears that they are looking for people that will be easy to mold to the Indigo way of thinking, If you clear that, you are invited to a large group interview. This involves much role playing, Managers conducting this round up seem amused at putting candidates through silly games. Slightly humiliating,,,,all for a minimum wage position.

Customer Experience Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online then got a call about 3 weeks later and had a short phone interview (why do you want to work here, when was the last time you came into the store, availability etc). Was asked to come in for a group interview the following week, there were 4 other people there and we introduced ourselves and took turns going down the line to answer questions. The interviewers were nice and the other applicants were respectful and kind to each other

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you brought joy to a person/customer's life   Answer Question
    • What was a difficult encounter you had with a customer and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

CEM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Indigo Books & Music (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

3 interviews, online questionnaire, great conversation if you have the right interviewer

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none