Industrious Design Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

5.0

Design Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Industrious (Brooklyn, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

The process is fairly long.

They did two quick phone interviews over the course of a couple days that were fairly straightforward, one with their HR manager and another with their Head of Design, who was nice, knowledgable, and straightforward about the level of experience he was looking for. All was fine up to this point.

Then they hit you with a "design project" (homework/free unpaid work depending what level you are at professionally) they say you should spend 4 hours on, but really takes a minimum of 6-7 to come up with anything you're confident in helping you land a design job. If they like it, they invite you to come in for the interview.

The interview is a minimum 2 hour long ordeal, where you're meeting three different people asking you a lot of the same exact questions you've answered two times already on the phone (and by the end of it, you've been asked 5 times). It became incredibly clear early on that the design project I spent half of my Saturday on (in the midst of looking for other jobs and making resume/portfolio tweaks for them) was a waste of time and was barely discussed. Waste of time, probably only meant to see if you're serious about wanting a job or not; people of a certain experience level in the design field shouldn't get suckered into doing spec work to land a job churning out repetitive office plans.

Interviewer 2 spoke lightning fast, asks you about your passions, "what motivates you as a human being", some other semi-abstract questions (our field is notoriously underpaid, we're all in it because we believe in good design and the furthering of the design field, you don't need to ask about our motivations), and then hits you several times with the reality that the nature of the job isn't really creative. Well, I didn't *think* it was creative, until you asked me to work on an "outside the box" design-spec for 6 hours over the weekend. Interviewer 3 was more of the same: asks the same questions as the other 2 (and the 2 phone interviews) over again as well as some more on-topic job experience questions.

You don't need to make candidates go through 2-phone interview, 6 hour-design exercise, and 2-hour 3-person in-person interview to find someone capable of churning out office plans. For the nature of the work, the interview process does not need to be like this. Who they're looking for isn't necessarily someone with the experience needed to successfully and easily do the job (the job is pretty straightforward), they want someone who buys into the startup culture, first and foremost. Design firms at least cut through the crud and are obvious about the nature of your work and long hours (when that is the job you *know* you are interviewing for), but Industrious approaches the process like they're Google, and then slowly hints to you along the way that the position is kind of uninspiring.

I realized halfway through the interview that this place was not my cup of tea and started challenging them a bit on their interview process (I asked why we're asked to do spec work if 2 of the 3 interviews pound then into you that the job is not creative). The market is hot, do not sell yourself short and go through this process unless you really need to. Like I said, the main plus is the pay and benefits they are able to offer.

Interview Questions

• What do you see as being your day-to-day here?   1 Answer