Insider Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Insider Inc. Interview Questions

Interviews at Insider Inc.

2.6

Sort:

Assistant Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Insider Inc. (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The initial phone interview was extremely bland; the sort of general HR approach that resembles a multiple choice personality test (which I much rather would've taken). Person interviewing had zero knowledge of the position and just asked from a bullet pointed list. In addition he wasn't nice at all, was condescending, and acted as if he were an expert in the field, when it was obvious he was reading from a written description. It would've been nice to talk to someone who actually was knowledgeable about the position on a practice level and not just a reading comprehension level.

Interview Questions

• What was your most proudest moment in a former position?   1 Answer

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Insider Inc. (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online got a phone interview for initial screening. The phone screen was great and the recruiter was fun to chat with. After the phone interview, I was told that I would be given a social media assessment. I would have 3 hours from the starting time to complete. After completion, I had the in-person interview. This is when I saw the true colors of INSIDER.

From the minute I walked in I felt they were annoyed with the interview and had better things to do. I felt very disrespected and rushed. They seemed that they genuinely did not care about me, my background, and the 3 hours I committed to the test. I got ZERO...thats right ZERO feedback on the test that I completed for them and was asked more editorial questions than social media. This position is not what they posted and it seemed like a cheap way to get someone to write articles, not do actual social media and analytical analysis. At the end of the interview, I said I had some questions and they informed me that they didn't have the time to answer all of them.

This was by far one of the most insulting experiences I have had and I am beyond happy that it did not work out, as I would have rejected an offer.

If you are just a pretty face with followers on Instagram, you will fit in. If you want to do creative, strategy, and paid social, look other places that will value your time and efforts. Stay as far away as you can from INSIDER.

Interview Questions

• -Walk us through your resume?
      -Whats your editorial background?

They literally asked me nothing that was related to social media or social strategy. Both rounds they were robots and ask the same exact questions.   Answer Question

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Insider Inc. (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I was offered a phone interview with Insider since I lived out of state and was willing to relocate. The interview seemed like it ended a little prematurely than usual, but it went okay, to say the least.

Application

Interview

Had weird vibes from the beginning. After a phone screening and 3 HOUR WRITING TEST, I met with two editors. They were…cold. One even had the nerve to check her phone during the interview! They barely asked any questions and didn’t even respond to my "thank you" note. Rude much?

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Insider Inc. in November 2016.

Interview

I applied on their company career page in November and was contacted a few days later through email to set up an on phone interview. The interview was done by INSIDER's managing editor so it was more about my qualifications for the role and passions for what they stand for, no scary behavioral questions. After delivering one of my best interviews I was asked to send in clips and ideas. Since then I've heard nothing and can only assume I wasn't favored. Anyway, best of luck to you all!

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. What was your defining moment in journalism? Why editorial?
      3. Why are you a qualified candidate for this position?
      4. Have you looked at the INSIDER website? What are your thoughts?
      5. What verticals would you be interested in covering?
      6. Tell me about a project where you've been able to pitch stories. (Heavily emphasized)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Insider Inc..

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by an editor about setting up a phone interview. It was pretty short and standard, just went over the basics of the job and then I answered questions about my experience in journalism (past positions, interesting stories I'd covered, what verticals I'd be interested in, etc.). After the phone interview, the editor sent me a writing test where I had to pitch a couple of story ideas and convert some of them into full articles, written in the type of style and tone that fits BI. Next step was an in-person interview with another editor at the NYC office, and that interview was also very informal. It focuses more on your interests and relevant experiences that relate to journalism, as opposed to the actual mechanics of a formal interview process. They're looking for talent, not a certain image or set of experiences. Anyway, I was told I'd hear back within a few days, and I was contacted later that same day about a brief phone call with a managing editor, which I had the next day. The call went smoothly, I was asked some more questions about why I'd like to work there, whether I'm a good fit, specific experiences and other things like that. A few hours later, I got an e-mail offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• What verticals would you be interested in writing for? What has been the most rewarding aspect of working in journalism? Do you have experience covering breaking news?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Insider Inc. (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online. After a few weeks I was asked to do an initial phone interview, and then was asked to do a copy assignment. After about a week, I was asked to come into the BI offices for an interview. I was offered the position a couple of days later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Insider Inc. (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied for the Celebrity Lifestyle Internship at Insider. I had a phone interview and then a 3 hour writing test and then a in-person interview in New York. The woman who conducted the phone interview and writing test was so friendly and kind. The woman in the in-person interview was so cold and uninterested. I was shocked because the first part of my interview process had been so pleasant and had made me really want to work there.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Insider Inc. in November 2017.

Interview

Took about a month to finish up the process. Received a response after sending in the application within a week and scheduled a call within a week after that. The process includes an edit test which takes about 3 hours. The edit test was fairly easy, it mostly tests your creativity and writing skills. I was told that they would like to find a position for me because they thought I could be a good fit there. However, after another meeting with an editor, I was not offered a position. Still an overall positive experience, aside from a little bit of a runaround.

Interview Questions

• What are some areas of improvement in **** vertical that you are applying for?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Insider Inc..

Interview

After contacting Business Insider's managing editor via email, I set up a phone interview. The phone interview was with the Managing Editor, where more general "fit" and experience questions were asked. Once it was clear what vertical I would potentially write for, I set up a second round interview with the editor of that section. This was slightly more in-depth, but nothing too hard. A writing test followed, which I completed the next day. After they were done reviewing the other candidates, I received an offer, which I accepted.