Institute for Defense Analyses Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Science Policy Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process is pretty long. After applications closed, mid Feb for a phone interview with three research staff members (RSMs). The phone interview was short and only consisted of three questions, two of which were about my interest in science policy, and one that was specific to current events and my background. About two weeks later I was contacted for an in person interview.

From my research and conversations with current fellows, it seems STPI interviews its Science Policy candidates in two groups, flying candidates in March on Sunday, and interviewing all day Monday. From each group, a certain amount of candidates are selected as fellows. The cohorts range about ~3-8 people.

My in person interview experience wasn't very well coordinated, to say the least. Before you interview you get an interview schedule on which you see who you are interviewing with (almost entirely groups of RSMs). One RSM interview will be with just one RSM - that is your technical interview. Research the person, their research interests, and feel out conversation starters and interesting questions.

On interview day, a staff member picks up all candidates from the hotel that STPI reserved from them, and they all go to the institute together. You then check in and hang out in a small room with breakfast waiting for an intro to the institute by a couple of people. The institute did not provide breakfast that met my dietary restrictions, even though I specified them when ordering lunch, so I had to stick to black coffee.

After the group intro, we went off to our interviews. The interviews aren't difficult. Be prepared for questions like "why science policy?," "what do you think is a problem in science policy?," and also be very prepared to answer questions about your background and research experience.

After lunch you are divided into two groups, each given the same prompt to answer in a group presentation. Each group researches and puts the presentation together while some RSMs watch. Then each group separately presents in front of the entire institute.

For the group presentation you are welcome to request a laptop from the institute before hand, which I did. Don't do this. Though I was given the laptop right away, it would not connect to the internet. I had to walk around the institute in search of the person who gave me the laptop while my group started working. I was provided with a temporary laptop that used ethernet, but was really slow. By the time I had a laptop with wifi, my group was far ahead.

After the group presentation we met with some more staff/directors.

It took about a month for the candidates who were selected to hear back. About a week later the candidates who were not selected were notified.

My overall impressions of the institute (STPI) were mixed. It seemed that the work they do is exceptionally interesting and meaningful, but the institute itself seems to be preferential to ivy graduates. s. Also the institute is not very diverse at all. People seem to learn of the position through connections and maybe school specific recruiting ads.

Interview Questions

• What is one problem you see in science policy that needs to be addressed   Answer Question

ITS Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

All day interview with different groups of people. Met with HR for 15 minutes followed by a 30 minute conversation with the Department head. Very relaxed setting with her. Then presented to a panel of about 10 people: 4 peers and 6 senior members. Everyone was very well educated and presented articulate arguments to my presentation. Then we broke for an hour lunch where I talked with the peers. They seemed to be determining my personality and culture fit. Last two hours were spent with the 10 people who viewed my presentation, split into two groups of five and lasting for one hour each. Again everyone was very intelligent and the panel was more of a conversation than an interview. At the end of the day, I felt like I did well but knew that they were interested in candidates who mightve been more qualified.

Interview Questions

• What framework might one use to format the cyber-security landscape   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

The process was slow and lackadaisical. It took exactly one week to get any correspondence back even though their Recruiter stated they prefer to move quickly. Interviewed with 3 members of the Human Resources team. Sent thank you emails and 2 follow up emails, no response. Great organization and opportunity, but poor candidate experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict you had in your last role and how you overcame it   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

What a waste of time and effort. The process took approximately three months. First contacted by a recruiter for phone interview. Then two weeks later had phone interview with a person in the department. Then a week later a phone interview with a department supervisor. Then requested to submit college transcript and writing sample. A couple weeks later I was invited for a day long series of interviews and had to give a presentation. During my day at IDA Headquarters, I gave my presentation, and met with approximately 15 people, (some in group interviews and some in one on one interviews). At the end of that day I was told that they would get back to me in two weeks. A month later after hearing nothing from IDA, I had a firm offer a with another company. I was eventually able to track down the recruiter only to find out that I did not get the job. The most frustrating part this long and drawn out process, was that I was unable to ever get an approximate salary from IDA for the position. When I asked the recruiter during the initial phone interview and during my day at IDA Headquarters, I was told that salary information was IDA proprietary.

Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Extensive pre-screening, telephone, and one-on-one interviews followed by large panel interview. The process took a very long time - there was not much of a sense of urgency. Very traditional approach.

Interview Questions

• How would you prepare for the change in presidential administration?   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

I was invited onsite to interview with 3 employees, they discussed my previous experience,
    described the requirements of the job and why they wanted to talk to me. We spend some
    time talking about my interest and hobbies and then spent some time working thru a problem
    on a whiteboard. We concluded with a short discussion regarding security.

Interview Questions

• What do you do in your off hours to entertain yourself?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

Interview was all day long, more like academic setting. It was not tough at all. They just wanted to know what I know and What new I could bring to their team. There were few pure statistical technical questions. Overall, interview was enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Research interest and what I could bring new to there team   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Interview

I applied online and was asked to come in for an interview about a month later. Everyone was very nice and professional by email. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel. I started with an HR interview, which was pretty basic and the HR person was nice and relaxed. I then had a panel interview. Most of the researchers were very nice, polite and asked good questions. One of the researchers was oddly aggressive and outright rude several times. He repeated questions that had already been asked and seemed very uninterested and annoyed. With the exception of this individual, I did find everyone to be professional and cordial, but it was a red flag and a few comments made by other interviewers along the way led me to suspect there are some tensions within the office. After the interview, I never heard from them again and accepted an offer somewhere else.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers asked standard interview questions. Nothing particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses.

Interview

met at annual conference

Interview Questions

• Why is your research any different from just comparing averages?   Answer Question

Publications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

I applied online in June or July and forgot about it; I got a phone call in October and set up an interview for the following week. The interview was with four people in four different rooms: first an HR rep discussing company benefits; then half an hour with a very nice lady with whom I would have been working daily had I gotten the job; then half an hour with the "administrative officer" of the department; and then about fifteen minutes with the department director (I don't think that person liked me). After I left the building, I never heard another word from them.