Institute for Defense Analyses Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Institute for Defense Analyses Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2017

2.8

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses.

Interview

The interviewing process was surprisingly laid back. Only had one phone interview where I went over my resume and such with my potential managers. I was then asked to provide three references, and after that didn't hear back for around 3 weeks. After three weeks I got an email to apply for a specific job on their company website with no explanation of why. I applied for the job then waited. About two weeks later they emailed me an offer letter.

Science Policy Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process is pretty long. After applications closed, mid Feb for a phone interview with three research staff members (RSMs). The phone interview was short and only consisted of three questions, two of which were about my interest in science policy, and one that was specific to current events and my background. About two weeks later I was contacted for an in person interview.

From my research and conversations with current fellows, it seems STPI interviews its Science Policy candidates in two groups, flying candidates in March on Sunday, and interviewing all day Monday. From each group, a certain amount of candidates are selected as fellows. The cohorts range about ~3-8 people.

My in person interview experience wasn't very well coordinated, to say the least. Before you interview you get an interview schedule on which you see who you are interviewing with (almost entirely groups of RSMs). One RSM interview will be with just one RSM - that is your technical interview. Research the person, their research interests, and feel out conversation starters and interesting questions.

On interview day, a staff member picks up all candidates from the hotel that STPI reserved from them, and they all go to the institute together. You then check in and hang out in a small room with breakfast waiting for an intro to the institute by a couple of people. The institute did not provide breakfast that met my dietary restrictions, even though I specified them when ordering lunch, so I had to stick to black coffee.

After the group intro, we went off to our interviews. The interviews aren't difficult. Be prepared for questions like "why science policy?," "what do you think is a problem in science policy?," and also be very prepared to answer questions about your background and research experience.

After lunch you are divided into two groups, each given the same prompt to answer in a group presentation. Each group researches and puts the presentation together while some RSMs watch. Then each group separately presents in front of the entire institute.

For the group presentation you are welcome to request a laptop from the institute before hand, which I did. Don't do this. Though I was given the laptop right away, it would not connect to the internet. I had to walk around the institute in search of the person who gave me the laptop while my group started working. I was provided with a temporary laptop that used ethernet, but was really slow. By the time I had a laptop with wifi, my group was far ahead.

After the group presentation we met with some more staff/directors.

It took about a month for the candidates who were selected to hear back. About a week later the candidates who were not selected were notified.

My overall impressions of the institute (STPI) were mixed. It seemed that the work they do is exceptionally interesting and meaningful, but the institute itself seems to be preferential to ivy graduates. s. Also the institute is not very diverse at all. People seem to learn of the position through connections and maybe school specific recruiting ads.

Interview Questions

• What is one problem you see in science policy that needs to be addressed   Answer Question

Research Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

A round of interviews with research heads followed by a presentation of my own work. Some questioning of the reasoning behind my presentation. Interviews were very comfortable and they paid for my trip and expenses.

Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

Extensive pre-screening, telephone, and one-on-one interviews followed by large panel interview. The process took a very long time - there was not much of a sense of urgency. Very traditional approach.

Interview Questions

• How would you prepare for the change in presidential administration?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

What a waste of time and effort. The process took approximately three months. First contacted by a recruiter for phone interview. Then two weeks later had phone interview with a person in the department. Then a week later a phone interview with a department supervisor. Then requested to submit college transcript and writing sample. A couple weeks later I was invited for a day long series of interviews and had to give a presentation. During my day at IDA Headquarters, I gave my presentation, and met with approximately 15 people, (some in group interviews and some in one on one interviews). At the end of that day I was told that they would get back to me in two weeks. A month later after hearing nothing from IDA, I had a firm offer a with another company. I was eventually able to track down the recruiter only to find out that I did not get the job. The most frustrating part this long and drawn out process, was that I was unable to ever get an approximate salary from IDA for the position. When I asked the recruiter during the initial phone interview and during my day at IDA Headquarters, I was told that salary information was IDA proprietary.

ITS Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

All day interview with different groups of people. Met with HR for 15 minutes followed by a 30 minute conversation with the Department head. Very relaxed setting with her. Then presented to a panel of about 10 people: 4 peers and 6 senior members. Everyone was very well educated and presented articulate arguments to my presentation. Then we broke for an hour lunch where I talked with the peers. They seemed to be determining my personality and culture fit. Last two hours were spent with the 10 people who viewed my presentation, split into two groups of five and lasting for one hour each. Again everyone was very intelligent and the panel was more of a conversation than an interview. At the end of the day, I felt like I did well but knew that they were interested in candidates who mightve been more qualified.

Interview Questions

• What framework might one use to format the cyber-security landscape   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

I applied for the job online. Got an interview call the same day that the online posting officially closed. The interview was almost a month later, but that was mostly due to my availability, which they were super accommodating about. Interview was very academic in nature - one on one meetings with director & all research staff in the division. Then I presented a one-hour research seminar which was very well attended, lots of good technical questions. Atmosphere was very friendly, conversational & easygoing.

Research Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in January 2012.

Interview

First submitted references, writing samples and school transcripts before the interview. I then gave a 1 hour presentation (usual current research or relevant topic that shows presentation skills) then talked with several staff members, each one asking general questions. The entire interview was most of the day

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Very flexible and accomodating timeline. Met with one HR person, presented my previous research project and then was interviewed by two panels of current employeed and project leaders. Also met with director of both divisions that were interested in my application.

The presentation had a conversational tone and the panel interview was not intimidating. They were interested in getting to know me and invited me to ask a variety of questions.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do I think are necessary to be successful at IDA?   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Institute for Defense Analyses (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

The process was slow and lackadaisical. It took exactly one week to get any correspondence back even though their Recruiter stated they prefer to move quickly. Interviewed with 3 members of the Human Resources team. Sent thank you emails and 2 follow up emails, no response. Great organization and opportunity, but poor candidate experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict you had in your last role and how you overcame it   Answer Question