Intel Corporation Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2017

3.2

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

Phone Interview which lasted for approx 1 hour. Basic questions from Comp Arch and Digital Logic, VLSI and some basic programming question from C++. Was asked a few logic questions as well.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Intel Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

referred by an employee, took 1 day to get an phone interview and on the same day they told me to have an onsite interview. onsite interview had 5 parts, computer arch, verification software and logic design and one behavioral, each round took 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• cache coherency, verification basics, hash, common logic design questions   Answer Question

Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

I got an email first asking about my availability for the interview. I got a phone call as per the schedule. It lasted for 45 minutes. This interview was for Graphics Validation Team in Folsom. I was expecting resume related questions as it was the first round but i was wrong.I sent an email to the interviewer few days after the interview. He replied saying i wasn't selected.

Interview Questions

• The questions are as follows :
      Difference between validation and verification ?
      What is Race condition?
      Difference between Latch and flipflop?
      How to design ROM?
      What is a State machine?
      Cycle driven and event driven simulation differences and which one is better
      Functional and code coverage differences
      Blocking and non-blocking assignments in Verilog
      How to define variables in Verilog?
      $display and $monitor differences
      Setup and hold time
      Hold time violation
      Mesi protocol
      Page table
      DRAM and SRAM differences and how to design them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview lasted 45mins.
    Only technical questions were asked. He mentioned the work his team does.
    The overall profile of the job and what is expected from a student.
    Technical questions were not difficult and were related to basic digital design.

Interview Questions

• Asked about basic digital logic questions and questions related to coding verilog/vhdl.

question on the resume and the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I got a call by mailing HR. There was a 1.5 hour phone screening after which I was called on-site to Folsom. There were 4 rounds and a lunch with the team. Got the results just 2 days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview - 2 projects on resume, Mealy and Moore, FSM for a given sequence, basic cache related questions, setup hold, how to fix them, SRAM DRAM, SRAM full operation, Unix commands grep, chmod, chop, chomp, ps.
      Onsite - Round 1 - Behavioral round. He was an engineer at Intel for 22 years. But he mostly asked about my resume and behavioral questions. He wanted me to ask him a lot of questions.
      Round 2 - Lunch with 8 members of the team. Just casual discussion about Folsom and my school and work at Intel.
      Round 3 - Complete Physical Design. Starting from the flow, she asked me every aspect of it. What are inputs to floorplan? Will it help if these inputs are available at Synthesis stage itself? what is clock tree synthesis? why is it done after placing? timing questions. How is power structure decided at floorplan? voltage delay dependence, inverted temperature dependence, sizing of gates, CMOS fabrication process and diagram, layout for CMOS.
      Round 4 - Timing in more detail and more difficult questions, inverter vs buffer, SRAM layout, why higher metal for Vdd Gnd? Why resistance is lower for higher metal layers? spef saif formats, verification basics, reliability verification, functional verification.
      Round 5 - Perl questions. Gave a file and asked me to extract few details using regex. Then had to use hashes to perform some operations on the extracted data. basic C++ questions and simple programs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

There was one screening round regarding my internship experience and the job requirements to check if there is a match.Had second round setup for technical interview for about 1 and half hour. It was kind of go through Resume, Cache, Coherence, STA and simple design questions. Heard back in a week for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Cache, Coherency, Virtual Memory, FSM for Overlapping and non-overlapping sequence detectors. Given the waveforms fora set of 3 signals, deduce the final circuit, find the bug in the system where the system specs are given with the output waveforms, System Verilog and OVM based questions as i had mentioned it on my Resume (through internship).   Answer Question

Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in September 2015.

Interview

applied online.
    Got the email from the manager saying a team member will be taking my interview.
    One hour interview via phone call. Very simple and straight forward questions.
    Few days later, i got background verification forms. once they were filled, i got email from HR saying that she is extending the offer on behalf of my manager. After accepting the offer, i was given the onboarding forms three weeks before.

Interview Questions

• Pipelining, How have you used assertions in SV?, Perl basics.
      Basic digital design questions   Answer Question

Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2015.

Interview

First a phone call followed by an onsite for 5-6 hours. Phone call was about all basic concepts of set up and hold, fifo depth, conversion of gates from one to another, cross clocking domi=ain issues, hazards, branch prediction etc..

Interview Questions

• All about computer architecture, VLSI,FIFO depth, cross clocking domain   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied trough my friend. After 3 months, I got a call for phone call interview (1hr). I answered all the questions. Next day, I got confirmation for Onsite Interview. I had 10 days to prepare. After 2 days, I got the confirmation.

Interview Questions

• Phone call Interview:
      Physical Design Flow.
      What problems did you face ?
      How to remove Setup violation ?
      How to remove Hold violation ?

Unix commands:
      ls, cp, grep
      what is the command to check processes running ?
      How to run process in background ?
      softlink command
      how to check disk usage ?

Perl questions:
      chop vs chomp
      array, hash, default scalar sign.
      what is th difference between array and hash when we do indexing ?

Logic:
      he gave me one boolean exp to solve.
      latch vs flop
      sram vs dram ? which one is volatile?
      D FF using MUX
      D FF operation

Comp Arch:
      pipeline ? cache ? virtual memory ? TLB ?
      what is the set size for fully associative cache ? Direct associative ? he had given me configuration.

Verilog:
      blocking vs nonblocking
      initial block ? always ?
      FSM for 0101. moore vs mealy ?(mealy is prone to glitches. This is what he wanted to hear)
      verilog code for DFF.

Physical:
      electromigration. setup. hold time, skew ?
      effect of length, width, thickness on resistance.
      effect of temp, voltage on Delay.

Onsite:
      First round: she was also Trojan :-) (USC Fight On)
      tell me about urself. why this transition ? (undergrad in Elec&tele, job in software and MS in EE)
      Physical Design flow ?
      what to do to remove setup violation? Hold violation ? sizing, MOS structure, VI curve, effect of voltage on delay, temp on delay ?
      problem on setup and hold using delay values.
      power minimization techniques.
      She was going in depth. Thats it.

Second round:
      Unix commands: how to find .txt files, copy files from one directory to another.
      find files with particular string.
      how to execute unix commands in perl script ? (ANS: use exec before each unix command and done)
      use strict ?
      what is tht #! usr/bin/perl we write at the start of program ?
      C vs perl ?
      Read the file(set up vioations). there are 1000 lines in that file. Print 5 worst delays.
      array vs linked list with respect to memory allocation.
      pipeline ? stages ? which CPU is better ? 1GHz vs 2 GHz.

Third round:
      Physical design flow.
      behavioral:
      situation when you had conflict with your friend. how you handled situation.
      how you divide work while working in group.
      how will you avoid conflict ? (Divide work)
      how you do finish work before deadline?
      when you start working on something, you get some problems, you solve it then how do you avoid same mistake in future.(I will note it down. he wanted to hear this)
      skew, seup time, hold time.

Fourth round:
      Physical Design Flow, synthesis steps, APR steps, problems related to setup and skew.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Buffalo, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I had applied online for the job position based on my skills and knowledge in Electrical Engineering / VLSI domain and I got a call that there would be a telephonic interview tomorrow. So i prepared for it whole night and give it . But unfortunately i was rejected. If i would have passed the phone round of interview i would have 1 more on site interview which lasts for about 4 to 8 hours.